Gibson Brands Forums

State of the Forum

Buc McMaster

I personally would like to see a little more policing from the administrators here. There's been a more than a few threads here lately that have gone off the rails and become insulting and honestly a bit ridiculous. Certainly there will be disagreements between parties and their opinions but there's is no call whatsoever for some of what's been posted lately. I'm not calling for anyone's head here, just some sensible action on the part of admin............as in locking a thread that goes crashing off into the weeds to prevent further alienation of members.

Come on, people...........is all this nonsense necessary?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keep the forum alive, keep all the members - the world is a pressure cooker now days and we need a forum to openly share our thoughts on our interests, rationally and non judgmentally ,Im hoping we can relax and enjoy ourselves, jim

Speaking for myself only, I'm done with this forum. Not the it matters, and this sad little site will surely continue. Many of you have voiced your dislike for many recent threads and the content of said threads, but at the same time the lot of you have continued contributing the these threads, basically keeping them alive and fueling the fire. I bailed out the the "Is Epi as good as lower end Gibson models" or whatever the heck it was because the OP was a troll and a d0uchebag but man, how many of you guys kept that thing going for a few more pages and just fell for that dude's trolling for a few more pages? I have no desire to share anything any longer here, no NGD pics, no attempting to share my limited knowledge and experience with others, no more sharing of music, etc. I'm guessing the lot of guys here are a bit older than me (I'm 41) but there's a majority of you that seem to complain like children. No desire to deal with that anymore. It's pretty much turned into even other forum. On here it's either people are b!tching and moaning about everyone b!tching and moaning, or nothing is going on. I'd rather be playing my guitars at this point.

If there's something I need to know or have a question about something all you really need to do these days is do a search for it. Most likely that question has been asked and answered over and over many times over on forums. No need to have to hear how something you typed offended some overly sensitive troll and let the thread veer off into 6 pages of people complaining about how they hate threads veering off into 6 pages of people complaining!

Sad to see this forum turning into Fender site or AGF, my main attraction to this forum has always been two fold, one is that it is Gibson and I prefer Gibson guitars over all others and there is a vast amount of knowledge here. Secondly I like the people, I like to interact with them and to hear their music. I have always thought that is a civil forum and not so snarky and facetious as others I looked at. That part seems to be slipping as of late and everyone has their opinions of why that is, some will ride the storm out and some will leave thus in the end it will return to the forum I grew to like over the past several years.

I try to not be Barney Fife. I let things go unless rules are clearly violated. There are always going to be disagreements because it's the internet, and the internet grows hair where Rogaine failed. On the rare occasion I lock and/or remove a thread, I get hung in effigy because I didn't send a hand written note of explanation and apology to everyone involved, when it should be obvious that things were flared up beyond 'just kidding' stage.

I think I have a pretty good handle on things. When Gibson thinks otherwise, they'll ask for my keys to the executive washroom.

And I do genuinely appreciate when questionable posts are reported. I do look at every report and take action as needed. Sometimes 'no action' is an option.

YES LPS1976 . . . hit the 'Report' button in the lower left corner of the comment in question.

You can also message Scott 'KSdaddy' - include the thread URL and let him know whats going on. Either way, the Mods or Admins will take a look.

Over the years, on occasion, this sub-forum has had occurrences like this before. Take some action. Make the Mods/Admins aware. Somethimes there's a admonishment or lockdown, and sometimes there needs to be more serious intervention - suspensions and even banishment.

Thanks Buc for bring this up. Somehow I've been missing it - maybe because lately I've been dropping off the longer threads. I'm sure by taking action on these incidents we can improve the atmosphere for everyone.

<Edit> Sorry Scott - looks like I was typing while you were posting.

I will note that there seems to be a general thinning of skins online these days, and this is not the only guitar forum affected by that ugly little trend. Bad enough to work in an environment run by candy-***es who routinely befoul themselves with fear that the customers students will take offense to some imaginary slight - I would hope that we could just manage the basic civility without some (expletive deleted) speech code becoming necessary.

I for one appreciate that this forum is more lightly moderated than others, and that the moderators are not afraid of allowing honest discussion of the sponsor(s) - in this case, Gibson brands. There are other guitar-centric forums I visit where such frank discussions of the forum's sponsors would be met with swift deletion and thread closure.

Feelings will be hurt and trolls will come in - it's incumbent upon the members, not just the moderators, to refuse to engage the trolls I think.

Any internet forum is a virtual representation of the real world we live in. In the real world all people don't get along all of the time. That is just the way it is. It is bound to happen here too. However, the virtual world has one enormous advantage compared to the real world. Here we are absolutely free to decide how we want to interact with one another. In the real world confrontation is much more difficult to avoid. Here things happen slowly and the only way we communicate is with the written word. So, we all really have time to reflect and think carefully before we decide how and if we should continue down a perhaps confrontational path. Such a luxury of the possibility for restraint is not always possible in the real world. Why not use this luxury to the benefit of us all?

So personally I use this advantage and skip all threads/post that I don't find rewarding. I simply ignore whatever comes along here that I don't like. It always works. The amount of good and rewarding material here always shines brighter than the rough bits, always! Try to focus on the enormous blue sky, instead of the occasional dark cloud. Why should I let the fact that a few people go at it in a long thread bother me, when there are so many other good threads going on simultaneously? The extremely few times I have found myself the target of someone else's wrath, I apologize and let it slide and don't respond further, even if it means someone else gets the last word. I don't care.

I think this forum is GREAT! A little bit of confrontation is no big deal. Ignore it and move on. Focus on the good parts, I say.

Lars

This forum is simply a reflection of the people who frequent it. The society we live in (doesn't matter what country you're in) is filled with people who are very easily offended and/or seek to be a victim of some kind or other. I don't have a lot in-common with folks like that and the things they moan and ***** about are often pretty humorous to me. I've typically got a thick skin and don't take what they say personally and likely couldn't care less anyway. I actually enjoy throwing-in a few of what I think are funny comments. I understand why some folks want to stop the bullcrap and I know their intentions are good. They are GOOD people. It's just that I think the crybabies are morons and I couldn't care less what they say/think. I figure if you come into The Gibson Forum and attack the brand (even when your concerns are valid and well-intentioned), if you've got a brain you've got to expect some return fire from Gibson loyalist, especially in here where so many of us witnessed the several years of Gibson bashing on The AGF. Beyond that, I don't care who likes Gibsons or Martins, etc. I like guitars "in general" and Gibsons "in particular."

Life is short. Buy the damn guitar...........and then play it.

I personally would like to see a little more policing from the administrators here. There's been a more than a few threads here lately that have gone off the rails and become insulting and honestly a bit ridiculous. Certainly there will be disagreements between parties and their opinions but there's is no call whatsoever for some of what's been posted lately. I'm not calling for anyone's head here, just some sensible action on the part of admin............as in locking a thread that goes crashing off into the weeds to prevent further alienation of members.

Finally someone had the guts to say what needed to be said! Kudos OP!

I think we can all agree the internet needs more safe spaces. We definitely need the admin to crackdown here. This place gets way too much traffic and that needs to be stopped and the best way I know of doing it to do it is by reporting each other when we don't like what someone is saying. That way everything will be nice and dead here, like we all like it.

I mean, sure we could just ignore threads/things we don't like or we could actually converse and debate like adults used to before the world was Nerfed but I think a safe space where no one can say anything offensive is the way to go.

I'm with you OP!

Speaking from my exalted position as Crabby, Crusty, Old A$$hole - I agree. Perhaps the forum in general would benefit from less participation involving some of us. So be it.

[laugh] very good OC! +1

Maybe there could be a specific 'CCOA' lounge where everything could be mellow and full of cheerful reverie and song about the stuff such folks enjoy and only be open to over 55's.

Or maybe tag new threads with 'CCOA friendly posts only'.

That way CCOA's could easily avoid anything they might not like and the rest of us could choose to 'lift our game', or not, without offending sensibilities.

I think you may have made another thread like you are trying to avoid....

BluesKing777.

Finally someone had the guts to say we needed to be said! Kudos OP!

I think we can all agree the internet needs more safe spaces. We definitely need the admin to crackdown here. This place gets way too much traffic and that needs to be stopped and the best way I know of doing it to do it is by reporting each other when we don't like what someone is saying. That way everything will be nice and dead here, like we all like it.

I mean, sure we could just ignore threads/things we don't like or we could actually converse and debate like adults used to before the world was Nerfed but I think a safe space where no one can say anything offensive is the way to go.

I'm with you OP!

You had me at 'safe spaces'.

"A safe space is the way to go." !?!

I respectfully disagree.

Archived