Gibson Brands Forums

J-15

Jimmy9187

I bought a J-15 from Guitar Center 6 months ago. I am having a hard time keeping it in tune. I love the guitar and when it was hanging on the wall the sales guy at GC said you will probably need new strings and a professional set up. I guess I should have had this done. The b string sounds dead and it does not stay in tune long. My buddy said I should take it to a luthier and have a bone nut and saddle installed. I love the guitar. Is this a normal thing that happens when you buy a 1500 guitar?

If it needs it I will have it done! I am just a little shocked at the way it plays. I sent Gibson an email regarding this issue, just waiting to hear back. Any advise would be great. Thank you

....the sales guy at GC said you will probably need new strings and a professional set up.

In this case, I think the GC guy is right. Have a pro set it up. Might cost around $40-60. That's typical for any guitar (unless you can do it yourself). Tell him about the tuning problem too - he may be able to do something about it. You've got tusq nut and saddle, so I doubt switching to bone would make a huge difference.

In this case, I think the GC guy is right. Have a pro set it up. Might cost around $40-60. That's typical for any guitar (unless you can do it yourself). Tell him about the tuning problem too - he may be able to do something about it. You've got tusq nut and saddle, so I doubt switching to bone would make a huge difference.

Thank you Cougar. I think I will take it and get it set up. I just need to find a good luthier around my location. This is such a nice guitar, its worth it.

I just need to find a good luthier around my location.

I had that same need about 5 years ago. I searched around the web and found a good one.... that somebody posted on the Gibson Guitar Forum! msp_biggrin.gif

I had that same need about 5 years ago. I searched around the web and found a good one.... that somebody posted on the Gibson Guitar Forum! msp_biggrin.gif

Thanks Cougar, I will search around and see if I can find one local. Thanks Again

I've been doing some YouTube learning about setting up my own guitars and I can't believe I've waited so long to do it. Get to know your guitar and do it yourself! In most casss, it doesn't take long. One thing I'll say, regardless of how you do it..., I hope the first thing you did was change the strings. I don't know what it is about factory strings, but I've cured minor tuning problems just by changing strings before. I tried practicing doing a setup on a new Epi ES-175 with factory strings and it's basically impossible. Get a fresh set!

Archived