Gibson Brands Forums

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"

BluesKing777

Thanks for the nice replies!

That Lowden in the RT clip is happily quacking away from a soundhole pickup! His signature RT Lowden is Ziricote/Cedar and goes for a cool £6199 English Pounds and probably sounds way better than that recording in the video clip!

Seems about a 150 years ago, I worked in the city here and on Friday lunchtimes a record shop often had solo acts give a 'small desk' like concert. RT was on one day, but I was not familiar with him or his guitar in those days, but he played Vincent 52!

The thing about Lowdens is that they are a committed fingerstyle player guitar. "This guitar is for THIS". Wheras the other main guitar makers don't want to alienate anyone......so fingerpickers have to wade through all this other stuff to get a decent fingerpicking spacing!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the nice replies!

That Lowden in the RT clip is happily quacking away from a soundhole pickup! His signature RT Lowden is Ziricote/Cedar and goes for a cool £6199 English Pounds and probably sounds way better than that recording in the video clip!

BluesKing777.

The quack was distracting, for sure, but doesn't really diminish the guitar, the performance, or the song.

The quack was distracting, for sure, but doesn't really diminish the guitar, the performance, or the song.

Here is an acoustic version with him sitting in a room somewhere.... his guitar looks similar to my other Lowden LSE1, except his has fret dots.

BluesKing777.

Here is an acoustic version with him sitting in a room somewhere.... his guitar looks similar to my other Lowden LSE1, except his has fret dots.

BluesKing777.

Not to take away from your great performance in any way, but this thread really has taken me down a "Richard Thompson and his Lowdens" rabbit hole, which is a pretty fine trip.

And here's one with better recording quality that REALLY shows off the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaLCXqfFIQ

Not to take away from your great performance in any way, but this thread really has taken me down a "Richard Thompson and his Lowdens" rabbit hole, which is a pretty fine trip.

And here's one with better recording quality that REALLY shows off the guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaLCXqfFIQ

A little trip to Lowden Town, eh Nick?

You don't know the half of it! But I am glad my latest one has the same 'shape' as Thompson's....

Now 'Shoot Out The Lights'.......Mr Thompson must have been hiding in my guitar case because the light in my music room has gone out. So with all the desk, computer, printer, guitars, cases, amps, mixers, mics, stands, music, dvds etc, it is awkward to get a ladder in to change the light globe. So I dangled off a kitchen chair to change the globe and....it still doesn't work! Got another globe, no dice. To double check, I took a globe from the front room that worked and tried that....zip. Works back in the front room.... so the rats, spiders, cockroaches in the roof must have eaten the power chord.

So obviously I need an electrician, but I don't have one I know and every time I call one, a different face comes. And I don't want some weirdo to see all my stuff, mainly the guitars, so before he/she comes out, I want to move them to another room! What a PITA!

I have a side lamp and a music stand LED light, so I am not playing in total darkness, but the best light really is a fairly bright overhead.

BluesKing777.

Nick mentioned 'Thingy Music'

RT above was playing with a pick? and fingers and played too fast for thingy music really.

Now the Master of Thingy Music as you cal it:

Pierre Bensusan lIve at the Silk Mill recording Studio! Tone with a capital T on this old geetar!

BluesKing777.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a sign warning local drivers some roadwork was beginning. Well, they begun and the first thing they dug up was the internet cable and stuck it back with gaffa tape after lunch.

So no internet! I work on the net, so...pfft...after a few hours when it was obvious it was going to be out a while, the mind turned to simple, non internet activities...ha ha, playing the guitar and getting well paid for it, a first! [biggrin]

And then after my fingers began bleeding, out came the Nikon!

So I tortured the Lowden S35 in a few spots, but these ones came out great - Lowdens growing on trees! (Internet back up but way slower than before! Which was slow! [cursing]) :

ctXVU2V.jpg

BqmNBoL.jpg

And the other Lowden (LSE1):

DKJOsLC.jpg

OhQPeBI.jpg

BluesKing777.

A couple of days ago, I noticed a sign warning local drivers some roadwork was beginning. Well, they begun and the first thing they dug up was the internet cable and stuck it back with gaffa tape after lunch.

So no internet! I work on the net, so...pfft...after a few hours when it was obvious it was going to be out a while, the mind turned to simple, non internet activities...ha ha, playing the guitar and getting well paid for it, a first! [biggrin]

And then after my fingers began bleeding, out came the Nikon!

So I tortured the Lowden S35 in a few spots, but these ones came out great - Lowdens growing on trees! (Internet back up but way slower than before! Which was slow! [cursing]) :

And the other Lowden (LSE1):

BluesKing777.

So, you've snuck two of those babies past your wife, have you? One koa, one hog?

So, you've snuck two of those babies past your wife, have you? One koa, one hog?

There is no sneaking anything past Eagle Eyes!

And the poor girl knows more about these 2 guitars than she ever wanted!

The first one is Tasmanian Blackwood, a close relative of Koa, with Cedar top and the second one is the LSE1 (Limited Stage Edition) in Mahogany over Sitka with thinner body to eliminate bassy feedback and EQ on stage, we are told. Both guitars are from 1993 and nicely played in for me.

The first one is L-00 size and fits in the L-00 Hiscox, even though it came with its own Hiscox standard issue.

The second on is about OM size and came in its own Hiscox.

Both hand made......

Now, is it greedy of me to consider another? Guitar fund is kaput after buying the LSE1, but I keep reading how good the larger models like the O22 or O25 are for fingerpicking and have never played one....but there is one at the music shop a few hours drive.....hee hee. I haven't been brave to try it as I don't want to buy new at a cool $6000 or so. But I will be trading a few out to loosen some cash! In case an old one pops up somewhere....

BluesKing777.

BK, you are pain-in-the-***....lol..... Damn, you play well. Great stuff, bud. I'm jealous and I admire you. Keep it going.

Thanks MP!

It is not the first time I have been called a PITA, let me tell you.

Now the track, when I played it I just wanted to come up with something to highlight the beautiful Lowden a bit, and I played 3 tunes and that one got the job.

But I just listened to the track again and I can give you a few trade secrets if you want. Firstly, the only thing like the original is the lyric sheet and some of the chord progression. I have played it many times over the last few years and now to make it interesting, instead of strumming the chord pattern all the way through the tune, I fingerpicked it like the early Brit folk fingerpickers of the 60s...Davey Graham leads to Paul Simon and eventually to Jimmy Page. So without thinking about it, I have done a sort of fingerpicked conglomeration of Davey Graham's "Blackwater" and Jimmy Page's "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You". Now if you want a chord secret from that, I play the straight and famous Am cowboy chord and then for the Bm and C#m in the song, I moved the plain old Am straight up 2 frets and 4 frets respectively, without using a bar chord and then the open strings ring out as well! And then the lead notes, I was just hoping to make the guitar weep, like the name, but added a bit of gypsy with some altered minor notes.... [mellow]

Make sense?

BluesKing777.

I keep wondering at my luck and why anyone would ditch these guitars, but the reason I love the fingerpicking necks IS the reason others don't! A big fat C fistful like my OM28 Marquis, no V, but a full hand perfect for Davis picking.

But a lot of people buy these types of necks, maybe online, and then after playing an hour or 2 go....Oh Oh, it hurts.

But I mean, someone has owned both these beauties for nearly 25 years. Inexplicable.

And they are rare around this joint, let me tell you, and I HAD to get that 2nd one while it was in the offing! And because it is mahogany, it is going to be a killer blues fingerpicker among other styles.

BluesKing777.

Archived