Gibson Brands Forums

Danelectro

goldtop2

I noticed they hit the Market big back in the late 90's.

I'd wonder if they had a Jimmy Page signature Danelectro?

I noticed Page favored one in the famous movie the Song Remains The Same.

Funny thing is I had this neighbor that had one of these from the 50's he pulled out of his attic right before the infamous Danelectro craze hit the Market in the 90's.

Wonder what that's worth from the 50's?

He let me borrow it and was super nice about it. It literally had the round old metal can of strings still in the case.

He was a guitar player then went into the Navy and the thing wound up collecting dust for over 30 years! Lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelectro

I picked up this Dano 12-string, last Spring, via Muscian's Friend's "Stupid Deal of the Day! It's a HOOT to play,

and sounds as "Jangly" as one could hope for. And, like my Ric's, if you put it though a good compressor, it's sounds awesome!

2d14e41c-a0fe-4324-90e7-38f6580b2a2f_zpsedahtxia.jpg

Since that photo was taken (on the day I received it), I've put concentric pots on it, so I could have both tone and

volume controls, for both pickups individually. That's the usual, for most Dano's, but for some reason, they chose

to only have one volume and one tone, stock, on this one! But, it was easily remedied.

DSC_6086_zpslfh3pdka.jpg

CB

I personally don't care for the Danelectro.

They just seem cheap.

They're sort of like the Regal guitar when speaking of quality.

Since I bought this Gibson les Paul I can't imagine playing anything of a lesser quality.

And oh now that you say RIC ok I see the Dano is a version of the RIC.

The original Dano had a different bridge set up.

It was just a simple bridge nothing adjustable.

It was cheap I can't imagine it even accruing in value.

I personally don't care for the Danelectro.

They just seem cheap.

They're sort of like the Regal guitar when speaking of quality.

Since I bought this Gibson les Paul I can't imagine playing anything of a lesser quality.

LOL...Well, I have a lot of Great and/or ("expensive") Guitars, and actually didn't do the "cheap guitar"

thing, when most do, at the beginning. My first electric guitar was my 1964 "L" series Strat, which I still

own, 53 years later. But, lately, I've been going the opposite direction, seemingly. And, I must say, having

a great time, with my 2 "cheap" guitars...the Dano 12-string, and a Squier Bass VI (also a really FUN bass

to play) that sounds Great, too! Which only further illustrates the fact that "it's not the guitar, it's the

player!"

So, maybe I'm doing the "reverse snobbery" thing, now? Who knows? Point is, they're a LOT of FUN, to play, and

still sound Great! But, to each his/her own! [biggrin]

CB

They may not be up to par with the big name guitars, but they do have a following .

About 8 years ago I found a mint Danelectro with the amp in the case model 1457, and I bought it for $125.00.

This thing was absolutely mint in all aspects of the word.

I hung onto it for 3 or 4 years, and sold it for $1,100.00

I could not believe this buyer wanted it that bad.

When I was in Las Vegas , I stopped the a couple of the shops and found them selling for upwards of $900.00 , so as far as them being a collector item, for an " off brand " they are really holding their own , value wise.

As an investment, I would buy another mint example in a heartbeat.

LOL...Well, I have a lot of Great and/or ("expensive") Guitars, and actually didn't do the "cheap guitar"

thing, when most do, at the beginning. My first electric guitar was my 1964 "L" series Strat, which I still

own, 53 years later. But, lately, I've been going the opposite direction, seemingly. And, I must say, having

a great time, with my 2 "cheap" guitars...the Dano 12-string, and a Squier Bass VI (also a really FUN bass

to play) that sounds Great, too! Which only further illustrates the fact that "it's not the guitar, it's the

player!"

So, maybe I'm doing the "reverse snobbery" thing, now? Who knows? Point is, they're a LOT of FUN, to play, and

still sound Great! But, to each his/her own! [biggrin]

CB

But it has to stay in tune and that's why a lot of players/recording artists don't really depend on cheap guitars right?

But it has to stay in tune and that's why a lot of players/recording artists don't really depend on cheap guitars right?

Peer Pressure/Expectations, Hype and Marketing! As long as any guitar, of any price range, will intonate correctly,

hold tuning, and has a tone one likes, there no reason it won't perform on stage or in the studio. But, a lot of folks feel

they can't possibly be taken "seriously" as a musician, being seen with a "cheap" guitar. So, a lot of it is "ego" related,

beyond any practical considerations. But, of course, great quality guitars are FUN/Great to own, as well.

Dano's, and comparable other's, of the 50's and '60's were "entry level" guitars, as they were readily affordable,

especially compared to Fender, Gibson, (American) Epiphone, RIC's and Gretsch, which were often 5-10 times (or more),

the price! Dano, Harmony, Kay, Supro, and other's were simply more affordable. And, with some due diligence, could be very

reliable, as well. A lot of, if not most of the old (and Great) "Blues" songs, were recorded with "cheap" (by comparison)

guitars, of that era. Simply because they were very affordable, and had "that sound!" Those folks may have purchased

more expensive guitars, as their fame and fortune grew. But, a lot of them used the "cheap" guitars, as that's all they

could afford. And, they made it work!

The other thing is, there simply was not the plethora of reasonably priced ("cheap") guitars, back

then, at the amazing quality they are, now!

CB

Danelectro was a comparatively cheap make all those years ago but what is good enough for Jimmy Page is good enough for me. Mind you I fancied one before Page became known.

I'd still like to get a Longhorn!

Danelectro was a comparatively cheap make all those years ago but what is good enough for Jimmy Page is good enough for me. Mind you I fancied one before Page became known.

I'd still like to get a Longhorn!

Yeah, I was quite aware of the virtues of a good Dano, even before I saw "Page" with one, as well. A really great player (Mike Chapman) in

a regionally well known band ("The Blue Things"), used a Dano "Guitarlin" with a unique (at that time) built in "Fuzz Box," via a separate push

button, which he'd had installed. I think it was either a Gibson Maestro Fuzz circuit, or perhaps a Vox "Tone Bender" circuit. Anyway, it worked

well, sounded awesome, and he didn't have to be near a floor pedal, to engage it.

CB

It seems like a department store guitars. As if you coulda picked one up at Sears or something.

Danelecto manufactured guitars (and amps, too), and some other's, were commonly re-branded,

for Sears ("Silvertone") and, for Montgomery Ward ("Airline"), back in the day. So, yeah,

that's correct. The only real "imports" that were seen much, back then, were the Japanese

made "Teisco" guitars and basses. Lot's of rocker switches, and the like. [biggrin]

CB

• 3 months later...

I (often) consider getting a Dano '59 (The Jimmy Page model), either in Black, like his, or copper burst...another

iconic Dano color. Who knows, maybe I will...eventually? [biggrin] I'd love to have a Dano "Guitarolin," as well.

So many guitars, so little time/money! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

Archived