Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Mystic Rosewood

RHANK

I presently have the J 45 Custom which is a Rosewood back and sides guitar and I like it a lot, but I find myself looking harder at the Bird with the Mystic Rosewood. I cannot find anything to play around here so I am looking for any one who has one so I can Glean a little info from them.

Thanks in advance!

Never played one, but i imagine it would sound quite muddy, especially once the strings start to fade.

The mahogany Hummingbird to my ears at least can get a bit muddy once the PB strings fade (and I dont like the tone with 80/20')

But Ive not played one so cant comment with actual experience.

I did play one over Xmas made from maple and utterly loved it, still thinking about it ..

This thread is a good opportunity to re-zoom in on the classic difference between rose and hog.

Lots have been stated about this topic and almost just as much is forgotten.

I'd say rosewood is more potent than mahogany - the latter bein' mellower or withheld toward something slightly rounded.

Hopefully other (better) bids will appear as the posts come in.

Regarding the square rose, it would be an idea to try some normal J-45's and compare them with what you got.

Then by imagination transfer the result to your idea of a Hummingbird. Besides of course scan the Tube.

A rosewood version of the hummer will probably be a very fine and strong guitar, , , , , , yet not a real Bird ;-)

Enjoy your situation - a nice research is waiting

2016 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X29H7w_saM

Thanks... I have always like rosewood guitars, so if I decide to get a hummingbird I would get the rosewood model. I do like Martin Dreds as well and have tried a HD35 and the D41 and liked both.

I was hoping someone on the site had one to tell me about it, but ultimately you really do have to go play one for yourself.

... I'd say rosewood is more potent than mahogany - the latter bein' mellower or withheld toward something slightly rounded. ...

I agree, and add that rosewood would have more overtones and can sometimes have a bit of a metallic edge to the sound compared to hog.

If you have access to a Songwriter you might try that for an idea of a sitka/rosewood 'Bird sound; the Songwriter being a sitka/rosewood square shouldered, x-braced dred, a bit smaller than the 'Bird.

If you do try/buy the rosewood 'Bird, would love to have your thoughts on it.

Yes, E, I was just going to suggest to RHank that if he can hear the difference between the 'rose and mahogany -45's in Tony P's Music Villa comparo. . .

. . . over the web, then an in-person a/b of his rosewood J-45 Custom, and a rose 'Bird will provide some enjoyable Acoustic food for thought.

Mud is relative. I've been a fan of Gibsons wearing rosewood for sometime now; and the J-45s wear it well. The short scale, the body shape, and Gibson's bracing pattern do much to keep the sound out of the mud. String choice and technique just might take you the rest of the way. The larger body/square shoulders of the Hummingbird make it a great strummer and fingerstyler at the same time. . . the rosewood 'bird might deliver a grander sound than the rose' J-45, but you may disappear if things get loud.

Try that Mystic Rosewood Hummingbird- you may find your Custom will soon be playing second fiddle.

@BK - Absolutely right about the overtones. Important - they can even ring out of control on a palisander guitar.

@ - My guess sets the mystic is a hair louder than a traditional hog square. Due to broad-side-power.

Can you tell about that Bird traffic, , ? Curious. .

It was good to have all three together for a listen.

Woww, , , for a short moment in time you became a member of The 3 Birds Society. Think it has 3 members only - the third might be Jagger.

2015 ~ SensommerBirds%202014%2019c%20.jpg

I was there for a couple of years - over two combos. What a trip.

Archived