Gibson Brands Forums

My First Post and my first Gibson Acoustic

GuitarPlayer919

After 30+ years of playing guitar (mostly electric)..

Finally got a Gibson Acoustic!

Found a nice '08 J-45 ..

Lfwc4gNh.jpg

About a month ago, I took a leap of faith and purchased this used Gibson J-45 ... I ordered from a large dealer (out of state) without seeing or playing. All I had to go by was the online photos and a brief phone conversation with the sales guy at the shop. But I wasn't too worried because I knew would have the option to return if I didn't like .. So didn't have much to lose.

While I waited for delivery, I did some research on the model and found this particular Gibson to be highly rated. It was part of a limited run of 167 built back in 2008. It was one of the first of what was to be the TV (True Vintage) model. The Orange label had the words "J-45 VOS" and "True Vintage" and "Limited Edition" on the label as well.

According to my research... This particular J-45 model has a solid Adirondack spruce top, solid Honduras mahogany back and sides. Mahogany neck with Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. VOS Finish, Vintage-style hot hide glue, Old style Banner headstock too... What's not to love?

For buying "blind" I was really pleased with the condition... Overall it's in excellent condition and appears to be well played but not abused or road worn.

First impression, it's everything I'd hope it would be and Oh man!... The sound... It is amazing! I'm not exaggerating! It's hard to put to words, but it sounds unlike any other guitar I've owned.. Def has it's own unique tone and vibe... and whether played hard or picked delicate.. she responds nicely! It could easily be my one and only guitar. I love the sound.. balanced, toneful, but has a nice growl / bass response... The guitar is very easy going and forgiving.. Maybe it's the short scale ..It's a joy to play!

The guitar feels "just right" very responsive and easy to play. Love the short scale and body ... the playability is right-on too.... The guitar is lightweight just a tad over 4 lbs. The action is low and no buzz.

Lastly, I am getting along just fine with the neck.. Although, it was called a soft V neck profile. I see and feel No V. It is just a traditional shape and not to fat and not too thin..

Ok.. I'll shut up and show the picts!

4XoMGQPh.jpg

nil5vQeh.jpg

RqhXQ9Ql.jpg

Ti3YGzal.jpg

Congrats ! Welcome aboard !

Seems to be the first batch of J-45 TV ?

Great ! The only flaw seems to be the overlap between rosette and pick guard. But who cares, it's mark of Ren's time.

BTW, I've been hunting for a decent J-45 for more than three years. Got them !

Congrats ! Welcome aboard !

Seems to be the first batch of J-45 TV ?

Great ! The only flaw seems to be the overlap between rosette and pick guard. But who cares, it's mark of Ren's time.

BTW, I've been hunting for a decent J-45 for more than three years. Got them !

Thanks!

I think they started the True Vintage features in '07.

But not sure they actually labeled them TV ..

Yeah, the pick guard is not perfectly placed.

But as you said not a big deal and it doesn't bother me.

Archived