Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V 2017 T

Pinch

I took a shot on a scratch and dent 2017 flying v reissue from AMS which is very similar to the T model flying v's. I ended up sending it back because the scratch was a little to noticeable for me even at the S&D price but I was totally impressed with the guitar. I was concerned about the shape but it was very comfortable to play standing and suprisengly sitting as well. I really liked the neck profile and playabilty. Big blues inspired bends felt and sounded amazing on this thing. The pickups are a tad hot but you can dial the sound in by messing with your tone and volume a bit. I believe tha both the T's and the reisssue i tried have the same pups.If I wasn't on a self imposed guitar buying moratorium I would have purchased a new one after sending the old one back. I always had a flying v on my list of guitars to own but it was always down at the bottom of the list, but after finally playing one it definitely moved up the list quite a bit. If Gibson would add the natural color back to the standard line and remove the body binding I think they would be flying off the shelves!!! (See what I did there). Just my thought's based on a very limited experience with a v, but enough time to convince me that it's a guitar worth owning.

Beerad

I have one in ebony, what are you curious about? It comes with a case and a strap, it is great for metal or hard rock. The neck feels fairly narrow and the fret board is slightly rounded. It isn't as dynamic or as nicely finished as a 2016 but the case is a huge improvement.

Megafrog: but the 2016 had different pups, right?

Just curious how others liked it. Had to part with a lot of stuff following disastrous financial circumstances coupla years ago, and while i LOVE my Epi LP, I'm GASing for a 2017 V, now that I... well, can't really afford it now either, but I figured I could use the V to fight off the creditors ;) The 2017 T looks like what I'm looking for - a solid high output V, but one that sounds like wood rather than EMG 85/81 guitars.

It's not insanely priced either. So if I get one, which will effectively mean an Al Bundy-approved diet for the foreseeable future, I was/am interested in what people think of it. Thanks for your opinions. And yeah... The ebony one looks nice. I feel like a German who doesn't get along with his brother already ;)

How's the grenadillo?

We'll see. But I'm looking.

The 2016 has a Burstbucker and a 57 Classic in the neck. The 2016 has coil taps as well. The 2017 has Dirty Fingers in both positions. I like them both but the 2017 is much more of a metal guitar and when I am in a down tuned kind of mood, that V is my go to. The pickups are definitely hot. I do have a third V with the EMGs in it and the cleans of the dirty fingers are a bit more palatable than the EMGs. Another option out there is the Flying V Trans Amber 2016 Ltd Edition. It has Dirty Finger Plus pickups with coil taps. I posted a pic of my Trans Amber a few days ago in the forum. It had some issues but after some warranty work, it is a metal machine. If you like hard rock and metal, the 2017 is a great guitar. If you are not into metal, you can probably find a 2016 for around $899 new at Guitar Center, that is how I got mine and at that price.

I can't say much about the 2017 V's but I own a couple of different ones. My 81 V has Dirty Fingers pickups and they're pretty hot pickups but I can back them down, lower them a bit and get a beautiful tone from both the neck and bridge pickups by taking the volume down to 3 or 4. The neck is a fairly thin neck and pretty fast. They're hard to play sitting down unless you put the V part with your right leg between the V and play in a classical position. They definitely do well for metal but Lonnie Mack and Jimi Hendrix both played V's as well. I love both of mine and would never part with either.

Personally, I don't like the "half pickguard" that they put on the new ones.

I can tell you that the 2007 I got was definitely a great year. That year was the '67 reissue year: https://reverb.com/item/4480985-gibson-flying-v-67-reissue-2007-cherry?gclid=CPfHwtrp9tICFQKBaQodajUObg&pla=1 $850 plus shipping.

I like the full pickguard or none at all, personally. I'd be interested to know what you think about it.

Really like the guitar - the Dirty Fingers sound GREAT - fat, warm, high output. A little string pull, as expected. Action and bridge angle is perfect. Intonation was off, but what else is new?

Was there "pickguard film" on the headstock on yours? Seems like this one doesn't have that. Can't remember if Gibsons usually come with that.

Hell of a rock/metal guitar, with that mid-80s warm Gibson tone. I actually like the "half pickguard", too.

Archived