Gibson Brands Forums

Meditation Rocks!

Digger

I dunno if I've mentioned it before but I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and fairly often!

I can go to bed at 10 and be wide awake by 1 am. Then I lie there awake and finally get 30 minutes or even an hour after 5.30. That gives me between 3 and 4 hours a night which isn't enough for me.

The last 2 nights I've used my meditating skills before I go to sleep, firstly reducing my level of consciousness down a little so suggestions will take root, then telling myself that I'm going to quickly go into a deep sleep and stay asleep all night. If I have to get up for the toilet then I won't wake up fully, and go back to sleep when I get into bed again.

For the last two nights I've slept like a top! ! have got up about 5.30 to go to the toilet and gone back to sleep again, I've just got up at 7.30 which is the latest I've slept 'till for ages.

I've been up for almost 20 minutes and as still so sleepy that every second word I type needs correction. I reckon if I lay down I'd be straight back to the same dream which is still vivid in my mind.

Bloody amazing!

Sounds good.

Getting to sleep is a funny thing. I went through a decade of being unable to sleep properly at night.

Sometimes meditating works (I used to do T.M.).

Just changed my old mattress for a slightly harder one and I'm getting very used to it now.

I'm lucky because if I cannot sleep at night I can catch up next day!

Clocks are going forward this weekend so we 'lose' an hour...Do you do this in Oz?

Me too.. Ive been an insomniac since my late teens...

I have some errm herbal remedies :unsure: which helps for sure but even that doesn't do it for me... When I go to bed what I do is allow myself to think about some important issue or what im doing tomorrow, after that I have to intentionally stop thinking or my brain just wont stop...

I find that if I can stop the random thoughts for just a few minutes I will fall asleep and ive done this in several ways over the years.. One way is to repeat a word over and over in your head, and if that doesn't work, try to picture the word as you are saying it... Then I went through a really weird stage when I was pretending my brain was a computer with switches and knobs and I would go around shutting the annoying thoughts down.

At the moment and my favourite way to stop thinking is I imagine my cat (who passed away a few years back).. Me and Brutus had a ritual at night before I went to bed where I would turn the lights off and go into the kitchen to feed him but would pick him up first and give him hugs and a good scratch... So I think of that every night before I go to sleep, and then playing with him or whatever... Its enough to stop me thinking about anything else and I can usually sleep after doing that for a couple of mins.

Sounds good.

Getting to sleep is a funny thing. I went through a decade of being unable to sleep properly at night.

Sometimes meditating works (I used to do T.M.).

Just changed my old mattress for a slightly harder one and I'm getting very used to it now.

I'm lucky because if I cannot sleep at night I can catch up next day!

Clocks are going forward this weekend so we 'lose' an hour...Do you do this in Oz?

Yes, we are in our last few days of DST now and we are gonna miss it like hell! I think that 80% ot the DST period we managed to cook outside on the BBQ and it's gonna take forever to reach October when it starts again. It goes from October 2 to April 1.

I find that firm mattresses are the best as is quality.

It will be interesting to see if it works again tonight.

One of my problems is that I often have a nap after lunch.

Third night of my self hypnosis experiment last night but this time I added new factors.

I told myself that I was going to wake up @ 7 am and feel wide awake and alert. Yesterday I woke up groggy and felt that way the whole day.

Second thing was that I wouldn't have any arthritic pain at all. Now I ran out of gelatine capsules a week ago and haven't had my turmeric for that time, and my hands and back were getting really sore and worse day by day.

Results were that I had a good night's sleep though not as good as the previous 2 nights. I woke up @ 7.06am and was wide awake from that instant on.

Lastly I had/have no arthritic pain at all overnight!

I'm not expecting any of these results to last but am glad there has been any result at all. I'm finding this a very interesting experiment right now.

Folks, never underestimate the power of your mind.

Ya Dig, meditation is great.

I've been doing it for a couple years now. You into mindfulness at all?

Nothing like clearing a racing mind. Good stuff.

Cool post.

Yes I use mindfulness a bit, basically for concentration.

Its all great stuff!

I’ve have chronic insomnia. I can’t recall a time when I didn’t.

Meditation can certainly help, but any booze will nearly always spoil it (for me).

Booze: Can help get to sleep, but not keep you asleep. All the advice says booze is not conducive to sleep. I found that to be true. I have more success without imbibing.

Caffeine: This is bad. I don’t allow myself any after 12 noon.

Routine: It helps a lot. If at home, I don’t want to be contacted in any way after 9.pm. I avoid mental stimulation from 9.30 onwards.

Meds: I am prescribed amitriptyline. It helps me but I wouldn’t recommend it. Its nasty stuff, and missing a dose results in weird waking dreams. Very unpleasant.

Earplugs: Useful if noise is present.

Spouse: sleeping alongside her helps.

Advice that doesn’t work (for me):

1/ Leaving the clock facing the wrong way, so you cant check the time during the night.

2/ Keeping TVs, radios or any similar tech out of the bedroom.

3/ Sleep with head aligned north.

4/ Herbal meds.

5/ Making 'to do lists' for the morning.

6/ The mental practice of telling each limb to relax.

Music: I can’t go to work the morning after a gig. Gigging is for weekends.

I always need more zzzzzz's

1490591259[/url]' post='1844788']

Might I suggest a cold spoon Butch my friend?

Ha ha, no serious, I have friends who have bad sleep problems and went in for a study and they claimed a lack of oxygen while sleeping. Usually your head is on a pillow and it cuts off some normal breathing. Think of it, when a drowning victim needs Air the head is tilted back, not forward. These friends of mine went on oxygen masks at night in the study and they slept all night long. Doctors in the study claimed before the masks, the person actually stopped breathing several times during the night and waking up breathing again. They all claimed the same thing and with the oxygen, they all claim to get a good nights sleep.

I’ve have chronic insomnia. I can’t recall a time when I didn’t.

Meditation can certainly help, but any booze will nearly always spoil it (for me).

Booze: Can help get to sleep, but not keep you asleep. All the advice says booze is not conducive to sleep. I found that to be true. I have more success without imbibing.

Caffeine: This is bad. I don’t allow myself any after 12 noon.

Routine: It helps a lot. If at home, I don’t want to be contacted in any way after 9.pm. I avoid mental stimulation from 9.30 onwards.

Meds: I am prescribed amitriptyline. It helps me but I wouldn’t recommend it. Its nasty stuff, and missing a dose results in weird waking dreams. Very unpleasant.

Earplugs: Useful if noise is present.

Spouse: sleeping alongside her helps.

Advice that doesn’t work (for me):

1/ Leaving the clock facing the wrong way, so you cant check the time during the night.

2/ Keeping TVs, radios or any similar tech out of the bedroom.

3/ Sleep with head aligned north.

4/ Herbal meds.

5/ Making 'to do lists' for the morning.

6/ The mental practice of telling each limb to relax.

Music: I can’t go to work the morning after a gig. Gigging is for weekends.

I always need more zzzzzz's

Good advice there ME but if I slept beside your spouse she might get a bit upset???

Ha ha, no serious, I have friends who have bad sleep problems and went in for a study and they claimed a lack of oxygen while sleeping. These friends of mine went on oxygen masks at night in the study and they slept all night long.

Yep that's me. It's not oxygen it's a CPAP machine. Sleep apnea. The lack of oxygen is from stopping breathing.

My study showed the night I was monitored that I stopped breathing 74 times a minute and the longest I stopped breathing was 80 some seconds. I can't even hold my breath that long.

I had no idea. My wife finally convinced me to get tested. That was 4 or 5 years ago now.

Man am I happy I did. wearing the mask took several months to get used to. It sucked bad.

But eventually I found one that worked for me and I started to sleep with it on.

If any of you, or your spouses have any suspicions of sleep apnea, do yourself a favor and go get tested.

It's very much worth it.

Before CPAP I Would sleep 4 hours or 12 hours, I woke up feeling the same. i could sleep in like nobody's business.

I stared snoring as soon as my head hit the pillow. My kids would laugh and how fast I started snoring.

Now, with my CPAP, I sleep like a f'ing rock. All I need is 7 hours. Now I wake up because I'm done sleeping.

Not because it's time to get up. I'm done. I get up.

If any of you or your spouses have any suspicions of apnea, do yourself a favor and get tested.

It's the best damn thing I've ever done for myself.

Do you wake up because your done sleeping? I do. I don't even need an alarm clock. I know when I'll get up.

GO GET TESTED!! Your welcome!

1490660966[/url]' post='1844972']

Yep that's me. It's not oxygen it's a CPAP machine. Sleep apnea. The lack of oxygen is from stopping breathing.

My study showed the night I was monitored that I stopped breathing 74 times a minute and the longest I stopped breathing was 80 some seconds. I can't even hold my breath that long.

I had no idea. My wife finally convinced me to get tested. That was 4 or 5 years ago now.

Man am I happy I did. wearing the mask took several months to get used to. It sucked bad.

But eventually I found one that worked for me and I started to sleep with it on.

If any of you, or your spouses have any suspicions of sleep apnea, do yourself a favor and go get tested.

It's very much worth it.

Before CPAP I Would sleep 4 hours or 12 hours, I woke up feeling the same. i could sleep in like nobody's business.

I stared snoring as soon as my head hit the pillow. My kids would laugh and how fast I started snoring.

Now, with my CPAP, I sleep like a f'ing rock. All I need is 7 hours. Now I wake up because I'm done sleeping.

Not because it's time to get up. I'm done. I get up.

If any of you or your spouses have any suspicions of apnea, do yourself a favor and get tested.

It's the best damn thing I've ever done for myself.

Do you wake up because your done sleeping? I do. I don't even need an alarm clock. I know when I'll get up.

GO GET TESTED!! Your welcome!

Yes sir that's it! My friends claim the same thing. Guess I thought it was oxygen but wasn't sure what it was. They said they stopped breathing a bunch of times at night too in the study, someone monitors you all night and if you wake they will talk to you right? I probably should go and have that done too but if I wake up it's because of my enlarged prostate and I have to drain the radiator.

Second thing was that I wouldn't have any arthritic pain at all. Now I ran out of gelatine capsules a week ago and haven't had my turmeric for that time, and my hands and back were getting really sore and worse day by day.

Gelatine and Turmeric...I've heard this helps with joint pain...or maybe it is the power of your mind? o.O

I try doing that thing where you breath in a color and shape (yellow circle) and breathe out another color shape (blue triangle) to help me sleep. But really, I find it very hard to concentrate on that for long. Meditating is stressful.

someone monitors you all night and if you wake they will talk to you right? I probably should go and have that done too but if I wake up it's because of my enlarged prostate and I have to drain the radiator.

No they don't talk to you. There's a couple methods of testing. One you can go to a sleep lab where they hook you up to a bunch of monitors and record your breathing and oxygen levels. Two is what I did. I took home the device and hooked it up to myself and returned it for them to analyze the data. I just had a mask and an oxygen monitor on my finger for the night. Then I went back in and was given the shocking news. I had no idea!!!

I was stunned when they gave me my results.

As for draining the radiator the only option there is a catheter. I'm ok with waking up to drain it myself. lol

Go get tested. You won't even know if you are waking up or stopping breathing. I had no idea at all.

I was stunned at the data. And I feel like a million bucks these days.

I just gotta jump in here for a sec. It sounds like most people don't know what meditation really is.

It has nothing to do with concentrating on anything. Mediation is the exact opposite.

You practice thinking of absolutely nothing. It's not as easy as it sounds. The mind naturally races and never stops working. Meditation is practicing stopping that cycle in your brain. When you find yourself thinking of something you gently let it go and focus on your breath. Think of nothing at all.

Focus on your breathing brings in the mindful part of meditation.

Google it up. There's tons of stuff out there.

I just gotta jump in here for a sec. It sounds like most people don't know what meditation really is.

It has nothing to do with concentrating on anything. Mediation is the exact opposite.

You practice thinking of absolutely nothing. It's not as easy as it sounds. The mind naturally races and never stops working. Meditation is practicing stopping that cycle in your brain. When you find yourself thinking of something you gently let it go and focus on your breath. Think of nothing at all.

Google it up. There's tons of stuff out there.

This sounds really hard. Like...anxiety inducing hard.

WHO GOT YOU PEOPLE INTO THIS?!?! I mean, mom didn't teach you, or school...where you get learned about meditation and why'd you try it?

When you find yourself thinking of something you gently let it go and focus on your breath. Think of nothing at all.

That's what we always called breathing exercises. I've done this on nights when I can't sleep and it help to stop the mind from racing.

...where you get learned about meditation and why'd you try it?

In my case my dad began doing them on a trip to India. He taught us all when he got home. For a few months we had family meditation time. (Hey it was the early 70s :rolleyes: ). Later I remember learning a bit more in college psychology about "TM".

Archived