Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar polish.... what do you guys use or like??

bigtim

Looking for a guitar polish. Have not had any in a long time. Something safe for a laquer finish. Anyone have any suggestions?? I already have a cleaner and normally just buff with a cloth afterwords. But now looking for some shine.

I just won the Gibson cleaning and polishing kit in a raffle yesterday so I'll have to let you know how that works out.

There was a Gibson event at my local shop yesterday where you bring in any guitar and they clean and restring it using Gibson products. The guitar that I brought in looked brand new after they cleaned it up with the Gibson stuff. I think it's nice

Virtuoso is the best I've used

I am wanting to try the Virtuoso next but no one around here carries it in store. I will have to use the internet to order but there are a lot of people here seem to really like it.

Amazon is the easiest place to buy of course..

Gibson Pump Polish works good, but does require some work, as it's pretty "wet" once you spread it around.

for finger prints, sweat marks from your forearm etc, Gerlitz Smudge Off works really good. definitely nitro safe.

I just use regular furniture polish and have done so since 1975. Seems to work fine.

I did try some Gibson branded polish some time in either the late '70s or early '80s but didn't think much of it. I just use Mr. Sheen or whatever else we have at home.

Pip.

EDIT : I still have the bottle of Gibson polish! It's been rolling around inside my MM 2x12 for the last 37 years...

Gibson%20Polish_zpsadft6odt.jpg

....and there's still some left!................msp_scared.gif

For surface scratches and hard stains I use Autoglym automotive polish (pricey, but brilliant). It leaves a mirror finish (obviously only good for gloss finishes) and there's no residue, provided you use it very sparingly, and work it off thoroughly in stages. Works just as well on nitro and poly. For general cleaning of the body and neck (though not the fretboard) I just 'spit and polish'. Literally! Use a nice soft cloth, and don't do it to anyone else's axe! It works surprisingly well though. Then a light wax polish to finish off.

Archived