Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for Sliver Solution

duluthdan

It happens to me every weekend. Every Weekend. No matter what I do or don't do I always seem to get slivers in my hands, and it is always in a place that inhibits my fretting hand. I go after them with a teeny weeny tweezer, but more often than not, I just break off the piece I can grab, leaving the offending sliver deep and unreachable.

Yes, I'm a woos. But, anybody got any helpful hints to dissolve these, coax them to the surface, or whatever with performing minor surgery? I have gone after these with needles, but not when they are this deep.

sliver_zpsbfewvdwm.jpg

Are you serious, good Duluth - I've heard that these can travel up through your arm, further inside the body and finally gather in your heart.

Such pile of splinters is in fact what burns like a bonfire when you're in love.

How about a glove. .

(notice the rhyme there)

I do this all the time as well. I've done some pretty deep surgery with needles, but never with a cutting instrument. If that fails, the surgery and remaining splinter usually cause infection in a couple of days, at which point they are pretty easy to get out with a second needle surgery. Generally speaking, if I can see it under the skin, I can get it out.

Sometimes patience it required.

I try to do enough surgery the initial time to expose the whole thing. That is, I dig around a lot.

I would have made a lousy doctor, but I don't mine digging around in my own skin..

Prevention, through whatever tools and accessories are available, is the wise way. Nick and Dan...you surprise me given your love of playing guitar, that you wouldn't keep your mitts away from cutting edges. Doh!

Nothing at all wuss-like in preventing hand injuries that can cut into enjoying guitar playing. Definitely big on taking a few seconds to grab the gloves. Funny, when an injury does happen, first thing I do is consider if that's a part that'll affect guitar playing; "left thumb?" = no biggie, etc.

After the splinter has already happened: seeing what you're doing is a big part of the job. First splinter removal, they'll have paid for themselves:

GWKD9ZX.png

. . . so when you are digging, you'll not open things up any more than necessary. Pre and post, use hydrogen peroxide, or some such. Or you can join a splinter group.

Good luck. Let's be careful out there.

Have always been fascinated by splinters (in the right size and numbers and not the ones from exploding artillery shells).

Taking them out is a bit of a challenge, , , which can be used as a cathartic exercise.

Ever helped a girl by removing her splinter, anybody, , , beautiful experience for sure. .

Prevention, through whatever tools and accessories are available, is the wise way. Nick and Dan...you surprise me given your love of playing guitar, that you wouldn't keep your mitts away from cutting edges. Doh!

Been building and repairing boats and building furniture for about 45 years. Rarely wore gloves (except for really heavy work like hauling cables and dragging heavy stuff around) until recent years, when my skin has gotten thin and fragile.

You almost never wear gloves when operating cutting machinery in a workshop, except maybe tight nitrile gloves. Too much risk of catching something. However, gloves make a handy sack for taking severed body parts like fingers to the orthopod for re-attachment. I do wear fairly tight leather gloves using a chainsaw or similar, and when mowing the yard or using garden tools.

I wear leather gloves when handling wood, but remove them when running a table saw or other shop machinery that requires my hands to get close to a blade. Holding pieces with the bare skin gives you better control in most cases. Rule one: take a deep breath and focus when turning on big cutting machines.

Yes, I do use things like pushing devices and featherboards for working very close to blades. General rule is that if the hand gets within 6" of the blade, you need to use some sort of device for safety.

I used to get a lot of carbon fiber splinters in my old work, cutting skin/core samples out of carbon structures for analysis. They hurt like hell.

One of the first things I remember in the shop was watching my father remove two fingers with a table saw when I was about five. It made an impression.

Worst thing I ever did that impacted guitar playing was lose control of my motorcycle and slam into a brick wall when I was in college. Little finger and ring finger of the left hand were dangling by the tendons when the doc put my hand back together, poorly. I distinctly remember staring at my hand, pretty much in shock, and thinking "there goes my guitar-playing career." That little finger still barely moves, and doesn't straighten out.

Stupid boy. Motorcycles and beer don't mix, but try telling that to a 21-year-old.

But I still get a lot of splinters.

OK Nick. Yer' 'Too Far Gone'. My song of the week. EZ to play, hard to sing.

I didn't think you were still tearing at your hands. Thought you were in 'repose' mode.

Nah. Old habits die hard, particularly at my age.

, , , can be be used as a cathartic exercise.

Ever helped a girl by removing her splinter, anybody, , , beautiful experience for sure. .

Why is that not surprising.

So there you go, Dan- get your head right, and look forward to the release ; ).

Dan, I care about your sliver splinter issue. But I care more about seeing EM7's siren/muse who helps him with his splinters...

I think it was the other way around: the lion removed the splinter from the girl's paw. And she is eternally grateful.

Now that you have them; soak in very warm water and epsom salts several times to draw splinters to surface.

edit: then water your plants with remaining solution for nice magnesium fertilization.

or, drink it as a laxative

or,

Archived