Gibson Brands Forums

Beware of Amazon Prime Free Trial one month (for two day free shipping)

gotomsdos

Hi, guys out there.

My cell phone told me yesterday that "you CC was charged $99". Why ? Who charged me ? for what ?

After a bit long time, it occured to me that, was it Amazon ? Searched emails, found email from Amazon Prime to me one month back. My God ! Amazon automatically (default) charged me $99 for this year membership ! I read the email, it reads "automatically charge after free trial" ! Is this Amazon ? Why not ask me YES or NO for automatic CC charge after free trial ?

About one month back when I bought a couple of capos from Amazon, came Amazon Prime free trial (one month), I thought OK, free trial was good, no any loss to me. Who not try it ! so just submitted. Free two day delivery. Very good.

But my God. Amazon Prime automatically CC charged $99 for this year membership, but I would buy very few things for this year from Amazon, so I would not have paid year membership if I had known "automatic charge' after free trial.

Money is no large amount, but,,, you know, this service promotion is misleading.

Guest Farnsbarns

You clicked a box to say you had read the terms. I can only assume you did not because they're pretty clear. You need to cancel before the end of the trail.

Yeah, sorry man. This one is on you. Amazon, and many other places, clearly state up front you get a trial, followed by automatic enrollment. Book and record clubs have been doing it for decades... Get 15 FREE Books!!! (user agrees to buy 12 more books at regular monthly rates)

Amazon Prime can be a nice service, I'm told, Maybe consider keeping it since you don't seem to mind the amount?

Prime is a great deal for Amazon!! They give you FREE SHIPPING and all it costs you is $100!!!! [thumbup]

It depends on how much you use it. We added up all the movies and music we stream plus 2 day shipping costs and that $100 saved us about $2500 in expenses last year. If you use it alot it's a deal, if you order from Amazon 2 or 3 times a year it's not a deal.

I use Amazon Prime all the time, but it's hardly worth the $99.00 if you don't use it often

Before I used the Prime shipping, I was being charged for every thing I ordered from Amazon and though what the hell why not try it .

At Christmas time it's a life savor for me with grandkids and relatives all over the country, and it paid for itself easily the 1st Christmas I used it.

But if you are like most people who only order from time to time, the fee of $99.00 would not be worth it

Guest Farnsbarns

Not to mention all the free movies and TV series. I have Amazon video only, not interested in free next day delivery really but prime users get video too.

Amazon have caught me on this before. They have been severely chastised about it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983634/Has-Amazon-picked-79-pocket-millions-duped-signing-costly-prime-service-don-t-want.html

On the plus side I did get my money refunded when I complained. They sometime put up a checkbox that resembles the familiar 'regular' order but in fact has 'Amazon Prime' in small print somewhere on it. I suspect they have in the past operated an opt-out of Prime option also.

Its 'legal deception'.

You clicked a box to say you had read the terms. I can only assume you did not because they're pretty clear. You need to cancel before the end of the trail.

Yes, maybe you said right. There seems to be terms mentioned. But just as merciful-evans said, it's "LEGAL DECEPTION", because I believe most of the submitter do not expect the terms contain automatic CC charging after free trial, so they would not seriously read the terms or just neglect it. In people's experience, free trial does not mean an automatic CC charging after it.

For one year I will buy one or two things or just nothing, so $99 is approximately donation to me.

I wouldn't have gotten to know Amazon had charged my CC if my cell phone had not sent message to me.

Amazon have caught me on this before. They have been severely chastised about it too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2983634/Has-Amazon-picked-79-pocket-millions-duped-signing-costly-prime-service-don-t-want.html

Its 'legal deception'.

Thank you so much !

The info is just what I want.

WoooooooooooooooooooooW so many sheep have fallen to Amazon Crime(not Prime)'s trap...

Yes, you said it ! LEGAL DECEPTION. Why not ask me (ON THE SPOT) YES or NO for automatic CC charging after free trial ?

I've been offered the free one-month trial multiple times & excepted it every time - but the terms are super clear, imho, so I just mark my calendar & cancel it right before the trial period ends. Very easy to do through your account. You can even set it up so that they send you a reminder a few days before the trial period ends.

Honestly, I'd say this one's on you for not reading the agreement's terms.

I'll guaran-dang-tee you they'll take the charge off your credit card if you call them. Take it from an old guy who makes mistakes.

My wife can get any charge removed from any account every time. But it takes some fancy talking. If you want, she can call for you and get the charge removed, but she charges $89.00 per call and you have to sign up for automatic renewal at $199 per year.

[thumbup]

I did that recently but changed to the monthly charge. Monthly ($10.99/month)

It costs a little more than a yearly subscription but our TV is capable of watching movies from Amazon and a lot of the Prime ones are free, in addition to the other benefits and no shipping. It's worth it for us but if you're not careful, it'll get you with that yearly charge after the trial period runs out. If I remember correctly, it did state it a few times.

Guest Farnsbarns

Thank you so much !

The info is just what I want.

WoooooooooooooooooooooW so many sheep have fallen to Amazon Crime(not Prime)'s trap...

Yes, you said it ! LEGAL DECEPTION. Why not ask me (ON THE SPOT) YES or NO for automatic CC charging after free trial ?

That was a few years ago, they've really closed that hole now. However, i think BBP is right, if you call them and claim you knew nothing about Amazon prime, as long as you haven't used any of the benefits since the free trial, they'll probably just refund it.

Archived