Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Emperor Regent

Blue Notes

Does anyone have one of these? How would a full hollow body like this go for playing blues? I've found a nice one online that has a Gibson Burstbucker 1 pickup installed, wondering if these are purely for jazz players or a little more versatile?

I have one with the stock floating pickup. If you need to use it with any volume, it will get to feedback territory pretty quickly.

The burstbucker instead the stock floating humbucker might help the situation, I have a Broadway as well and I find I can push that one a bit more.

I have one and love it, though I usually use it for more jazz flavored things. It also works well for Beatles-type stuff, where John Lennon used a Gibson J-160E with a P-90 at the soundhole. Bluesman Taj Mahal uses his for the blues, and it sounds great.

N_TajMahal.jpg

If the Burstbucker is mounted to the top instead of the end of the neck, though, it kind of defeats the purpose of an Emperor Regent, which is to have nothing impeding the vibration of the top. It makes it much more lively acoustically than the Broadway, which is essentially the same guitar with 2 top-mounted humbuckers. If feedback is an issue, or you prefer the top-mounted humbuckers, go Broadway instead of Emperor Regent.

While the construction is all laminate, it's uncut top is very large and vibrates nicely giving an acoustic quality I find missing in my other guitars. Oh, and they're easy on the eyes too! [thumbup]

32150E77-0BF9-4FFD-BC6E-A052B6B8CD1F_zps7oumj2kr.jpg

819A1AD1-9D0F-4810-B8AD-65F8FC09027B_zpsp1lxx2uy.jpg

I have one and love it, though I usually use it for more jazz flavored things. It also works well for Beatles-type stuff, where John Lennon used a Gibson J-160E with a P-90 at the soundhole. Bluesman Taj Mahal uses his for the blues, and it sounds great.

N_TajMahal.jpg

If the Burstbucker is mounted to the top instead of the end of the neck, though, it kind of defeats the purpose of an Emperor Regent, which is to have nothing impeding the vibration of the top. It makes it much more lively acoustically than the Broadway, which is essentially the same guitar with 2 top-mounted humbuckers. If feedback is an issue, or you prefer the top-mounted humbuckers, go Broadway instead of Emperor Regent.

The pickup is mounted at the end of the neck. I think I'm just going to have to go and play it to know whether its right for me.

What kind of amps are you guys plugging your Epiphones into? If I do get this guitar, which is a distinct possibility, I will need to get an amp. I dont want anything too loud, I plan on playing jazz and blues, T Bone Walker, Charlie Christian, that sort of stuff.

[thumbup] I've had fantastic results believe it or not from the Fender Acoustasonic Junior. It has great effects and really highlights the acoustic qualities in all my archtops. The Jazz Kat brings out that more traditional jazz muted tone and is no slouch either. Both are solid state and have a very warm tone.

DSCN0013.jpg

I have the same Acoustasonic that Sleeko shows, you can get some good sounds out of it with the Regent. I have a loud box artist too, but I've not tried that amp yet with this one. Hmmm,, think I'll do that.. most of the time, I just plug in to a Fender Mustang III combo and use a Deluxe or Twin setting.

I have been using 11 gauge D'Addario Chromes (flatwound)

[thumbup] I saw that one and it looks very nice. Vintage Cherry Sunburst. I don't know anything about that pickup, though I've been well pleased with the stock pup. Best of luck with your choice.

That burstbucker just may save the day feedback wise. I was trying to envision how they swapped out the pup.. strange that they used an uncovered pup tho.. A gold covered one would have set up much better visually.

those discrete volume/tone controls on the edge of the pick guard. [thumbup]

I play mine through a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45, an Epiphone Blues Custom 30, or a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt amp. It sounds great through all three, and I don't have any feedback problems (but then again, I've been playing hollow body guitars much longer than solid bodies, so it's second nature to me now).

I don't see how that Burstbucker is mounted, though --- is it attached to the pickguard?

That shouldn't cause any problems. Ibanez' George Benson signature GB10 is the same way, and several historic Gibson jazz guitars had pickguard-mounted pickups. It allows the top to resonate fully, but does require different playing techniques to avoid feedback if you play at higher volume.

I just picked up a Joe Pass Emperor 2 Pro which has the Probucker pickups and coil splitting. Love it.

Playing it and it's dozen other siblings currently through a Boss Katana 100 amp. This is a 100w solid state amp with a switch to drop power to 50w or 0.5w (or standby), decent models and effects, good all around amp. Not as light as my 100w ART from the 80s but those are really hard to find.

I had one for a while. Was quite a large thing, rather wide neck. Grest blues and side thing...imho...have a Broadway now, among othersmsp_smile.gif I kind of wish I still had it...oh well, maybe another one will come along. Old pic.msp_smile.gif

bd510c16-a846-4cc5-b8b1-d01e08a04c70_zpsmeihrwj3.jpg

Hey Crust!

The Broadway is identical to the Emperor Regent just with different pickups (I have one of each). I find the necks a bit narrow at the nut,.. not that I dislike them, I just don't find those necks to be wide. Wonder if Epiphone / Gibson would ever consider re-issuing these. They stopped production around 2010... which is when I bought mine.

They are nice jazz boxes. For the money, hard to beat em.

Archived