Gibson Brands Forums

First setup of the Epiphone LP ES

btoth76

Hello.

I have done the first setup on my new Epiphone Les Paul ES on the weekend.

Nothing special, just the usual tweaking: setting the neck relief, action, pickups' heights, and cleaning/polishing.

The neck was so straight, that when I removed the strings it went into slight backbow. A quarter turn of the dual action truss rod nut, made it perfectly straight (0.010" relief at 9th fret when stringed up and tuned to standard tuning). It is the best neck, from this aspect I have ever had on a guitar.

HPIM6377_zpshl5nxcfw.jpg

HPIM6378_zpswpaoivro.jpg

Of course, I got the fretboard clean with a paper tissue dampened into soapy water, and then applied two coats of cold-pressed linseed oil. Polished it well in.

Then, I used Virtuoso Cleaner on it, and polished it up with Virtuoso Polish.

HPIM6381_zpsn3lvabmz.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Nice guitar!

I've been warned off linseed oil. Apparently it eventually sets to a hard, insoluble state. Could be nonsense though.

Nice guitar!

I've been warned off linseed oil. Apparently it eventually sets to a hard, insoluble state. Could be nonsense though.

Hello Farnsbarns!

Yes, we have discussed it a few times. I did consult experienced luthiers regarding this. The raw, unbleached, cold-pressed oil is OK to use. The other variations of the linseed oil are not supposed to be used on fretboards.

I have achieved the best result with it, and no back sides. That is why, I keep on using it. It adds such a nice smooth feel, like nothing else.

Best wishes... Bence

That ES LP looks very nice Bence.. glad to hear you are getting on good with it.

so I wonder... Why you'd bother with anything other than what was made for fretboards Bence?

it's just there's quite a few to choose from that would never do any harm, so why not go that route?

I've been using this stuff for many years now. one bottle lasts me quite a long time.

Gerlitz Gutiar Honey

at the end of the day it's your axe man,, do what you wish..

That ES LP looks very nice Bence.. glad to hear you are getting on good with it.

so I wonder... Why you'd bother with anything other than what was made for fretboards Bence?

it's just there's quite a few to choose from that would never do any harm, so why not go that route?

I've been using this stuff for many years now. one bottle lasts me quite a long time.

Gerlitz Gutiar Honey

at the end of the day it's your axe man,, do what you wish..

Hello Ray and thank You for Your compliment on the guitar!

The linseed oil is a traditional material used for fretboard care. Mineral oils (like the thing called "lemon oil") aren`t. Those are made for lubricating engine internals.

Linseed oil feels very nice and keeps the frets (and strings from rusting). Not to mention, - as a natural product - it is safe and harmless.

Best wishes... Bence

Yes, we have discussed it a few times. I did consult experienced luthiers regarding this. The raw, unbleached, cold-pressed oil is OK to use. The other variations of the linseed oil are not supposed to be used on fretboards.

Yep, never, ever use the boiled linseed oil or you will end up with a sticky mess. But use the right stuff (as Bence says) sparingly - too little is better than too much.

Nice guitar Bence! [biggrin]

The linseed oil is a traditional material used for fretboard care. Mineral oils (like the thing called "lemon oil") aren`t. Those are made for lubricating engine internals.

I've used linseed oil, but that was some years ago.

switched over to the guitar honey and used that ever since.

Archived