Gibson Brands Forums

Problem upgrading tuners on ES-175 Premium

rocknrollsinger

Hey guys...

My first post here. I recently got a 2014 Epiphone ES-175 Premium and (like on all my guitars) the first thing I wanted to do was upgrade from the stock tuners to 18:1 tuners that match the guitar. So, I opted for Kluson Deluxe 18:1's to replace the Epiphone Deluxe which look pretty much exactly the same. When I attempted to upgrade, I realized that the posts were larger on the Klusons and the diameter of the bushings was smaller. So, I couldn't replace the tuners using the Kluson bushings because they were too small and I couldn't opt to keep the old bushings (which covered the finish blems near the holes) because the new posts wouldn't fit. I ordered some Kluson adapter bushings but they seemed to be basically the same size as the ones that came with the tuners and didn't work. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, could you point me in the direction of the proper bushings to accommodate both the large holes in the headstock and the Kluson tuners?

Thanks so much for the help!

-Aaron

What is on there now Aaron?? can you tell?

Are you changing them just as a matter of "standard operating procedures" or are they not up to par for you?

Often, this kind of mod would require re-boring the holes to fit the new machine heads.

so if the existing ones are working OK for now, you may want to just leave it be..

The Jazz guitar forum recently had a thread on the Epi 175 tuner upgrade. You don't have to be a member to read the posts.

I myself have a number of Epiphone models and never replaced a tuner, they seem to work OK. I have installed Imperial heads on some of them though because without them the stock heads (kidney or tulip) aggravate my wrist tendonitis.So on my most played models the heads are replaced.

Archived