Gibson Brands Forums

Cables

AndyK

Chaps,

The way my brain works, when I ask one question, then a whole lot more that have stacked up over many months also come tumbling out, so here we go...! The catalyst for this is that my EVH 5150 iii (50w combo) occasionally switches to the clean channel on its own. My searching indicates this is probably due to a faulty channel switch pedal-to-amp cable. Indeed, the cable that is supplied is wonderfully long, but very thin. My friend referred to it as "instrument cable". Here come the questions:

1. Could I successfully use a "normal" guitar cable in its place?

2. How the heck do channel switching pedals actually work?? They're not powered, are they?

3. The Marshall manual for my old JTM45 specifically stated that one must use unshielded cable to connect head to cab - why? Surely, shielded cables are better?

Thank you in advance for your answers. [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

An "instrument" cable is a "normal" cable.

The switches generally work by throwing a relay inside the amp.

Shielded cables use the shielding as the -, they aren't rated to be used between an amp and cab which needs to use speaker cable with 2 proper conductor cores.

An "instrument" cable is a "normal" cable.

The switches generally work by throwing a relay inside the amp.

Shielded cables use the shielding as the -, they aren't rated to be used between an amp and cab which needs to use speaker cable with 2 proper conductor cores.

Marvellous, thanks FB. I think my friend was incorrect in using the term "instrument cable" in that case. So, would a normal guitar cable work ok with a channel-switching pedal?

Guest Farnsbarns

That depends entirely on the switch and amp. Mine all have 5pin din connectors but i have seen units with only 1 switch which use a 2 pole jack cable. If it's a standard 1/4" mono jack I would think so. That said, a speaker cable would work too and would arguably be better. Then again, it's not impossible that there's no relay and the signal actually comes down to the switch. That's very unlikely but if it does an instrument cable would be better.

Edit:hmmmm, my googling suggests it's a 5pin din cable, not a mono jack?

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, the guitar cable works ok so far. Would a speaker cable be better, do you think?

In theory it is but i would think the guitar cable is more than able to run the current needed for the relay in the amp.

Archived