Gibson Brands Forums

trivial annoying things online when you have an interest in guitars.

Adam M

these are just a couple of trivial things I noticed.

1) Seeing that yousician advert at the beginning of multiple youtube videos every day. 'I've always wanted to play the guitar'

2) People who list guitars on ebay as Gibson when they are Epiphone. or deliberately photo the item with the headstock out of shot.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Yes, the number of Gibson Epiphones for sale is staggering. That yousician ad is incredibly irritating as well.

Others:

People who say their epi out plays any Gibson, especially when they post a recording and it sounds crap. Even worse when they can't play either.

Relentlessly referring to guitars as axes. It's not 1987 anymore.

Saying Les Paul invented the electric guitar, the solid guitar, the humbucker pickup or that he designed the Les Paul.

There's loads. To quote RCT, guitar players are silly.

Oh and one more thing to add to the list. When non players or entry level players refering to players like Warren Haynes for example say "man that guy can shred". To me that term seems odd when applied to players with blues inspired or non metal style playing techniques. I love watching Bonamassa fly around a fretboard but it still sounds odd to hear his playing called "shredding". Haha RCT was right "guitar players are silly" I guess I'll own up to that one too!!

"..so I pulled the trigger..."

Well you pulled something d!ckhead, in fact you're probably pulling it now...man, you type one-handed pretty damned well.

"...in my quiver/arsenal,,,"

"...thinning the herd..."

[cursing]

Etc [smile]

Oh and one more thing to add to the list. When non players or entry level players refering to players like Warren Haynes for example say "man that guy can shred". To me that term seems odd when applied to players with blues inspired or non metal style playing techniques. I love watching Bonamassa fly around a fretboard but it still sounds odd to hear his playing called "shredding". Haha RCT was right "guitar players are silly" I guess I'll own up to that one too!!

That reminds me of when I had a trip to see some family abroad recently. One of them has a band who plays covers, simple stuff. there was a spare strat type guitar laying around with really old strings that was thrown over my shoulder. I had a completely clean tone and pretty only the neck pickup was working. They were jamming through brown eyed girl or similar when they looked at me and screamed 'SHRED, Come on!'

I wasn't exactly sure what they wanted so I just said I am not sure what what you want me to do but it just isn't gonna happen.

I always hated the term 'shredding' when applied to any type of playing. Another couple of things I can't stand is when people call players 'fret w*nkers' (usually because the person saying it can't play above 50bpm) and also those dumb people who say anything slightly complex musically is 'self-indulgent'. I find their comments 'self-indulgent', because they actually think their opinion matters [flapper]

I thought of a couple of more things. Adverts that come up on my facebook feed.

Such as that weird 'amp' thing that looks like a piece of junk clamped to your guitar.

Or badly designed guitar related t-shirts.

I'll play....

People who swear they can the better tone when they use Mastodon Pins instead of regular bone.

I doubt my dogs can tell - and I seriously fought any human has better hearing than my dogs. They can hear a squirrel on the back fence when there's a gravel truck going by.

OK. Now I'm hooked. Here's another one.

When someone posts a simple question - "Has anyone used Brand X guitar strings?"

And the first answer is "No, but you should try Brand Y because I like them."

And the second answer is "No, but you should try Brand Z."

Makes me feel like posting - "No, but you should try playing the banjo."

BUT - my overall favorite - not guitar specific, but Forum Specific.

Is when you pushback on a silly comment from a member and their response is:

"If you don't like a post - don't read it."

I'll play....

People who swear they can the better tone when they use Mastodon Pins instead of regular bone.

I doubt my dogs can tell - and I seriously fought any human has better hearing than my dogs. They can hear a squirrel on the back fence when there's a gravel truck going by.

Know what you mean about your dogs - one of mine can hear a gnat break wind in a thunderstorm!

Probably should mention something annoying just to keep the thread legit - how about folks who insist that attaching a strap button depreciates value?

Guest Farnsbarns

People that buy a £5k guitar and change the pickups. Then only play in their bedroom.

That's just a personal choice. There's only one reason I can think of for being annoyed by that and it's jealousy. I don't own any 5k guitars and I do occasionally play away from my house but i don't find it annoying how anyone chooses to spend their money (unless the do a NGD thread, using the word axe and insisting that Les Paul's design is great, etc etc) :)

.....when they spout off about how great the guitar/amp is for play, set up, feel , tone and it's they best guitar or amp they have ever had.................if it's so great why are you selling it?

and t match Searcy's comment, don't forget " scooped "!!!!!!

Archived