Gibson Brands Forums

Are these "cable clamps"?

Pinch

So I'm looking at a mono 1/4" output jack. 2017 V. Just where you stick the metal end of the cable in, there are three gold-plated clamps/pins/pegs down the hole that stick out juuust a tiny bit.

Am I correct in assuming they're just for stability? Reason I'm wondering is the jack's pretty tight!

It's apparently a "1/4" mono gold-plated positive contact" jack, if that helps.

There are different kinds of 1/4" mono jacks. My brain might just be fried, but your post is too vague for me to help. Maybe a photo with the part you're talking about circled?

Hm, let me try again. It's three tiny gold-plated metal contact points just beneath the rim of the hole, stacked one above the other. Tiny metal "tongues". They look like they're there to hold the cable in place.

I was just wondering if they stick out too much, since the jack was pretty tight. And if they had any purpose other than stability.

Hm, let me try again. It's three tiny gold-plated metal contact points just beneath the rim of the hole, stacked one above the other. Tiny metal "tongues". They look like they're there to hold the cable in place.

I was just wondering if they stick out too much, since the jack was pretty tight. And if they had any purpose other than stability.

If you posted a pic with the part that you're talking about somehow highlited (circled in MS Paint or anything) I could give you an answer without guessing what you're trying to describe. Remember that "beneath the rim" doesn't tell me anything if I don't know what jack you're using or what "beneath" means relative to your perspective..

If you're talking about an open frame mono jack, like the ones typically used in guitars, there should be nothing protruding from inside the sleeve ("hole") itself.

Hello again. Turns out they're about 2/5"/1 cm "down the hole", so basically on the actual plug - see the first little gold-plated one? Two more underneath that you can't see:

24vpbo8.jpg

And here's a terrible side view, you can make out the first gold-plated little pin on the plug:

mtwghy.jpg

So, looks like something to keep the cable in, no?

Never seen that construction in an input jack before myself, but... I'm no electrician, put it that way.

That looks like it isn't mono jack. How many solder lugs?

Don't know! But the specs say "1/4 mono gold plated positive contact" rather than the more common "1/4 traditional output jack" spec, so I guess that's why it looks different. I was mainly concerned since it was a bit tight, but that's perhaps to be expected with additional metal tips/clamps/tongues or whatever the appropriate term is.

Since the guitar is a "T", I was expecting a regular traditional jack, I guess!

It's clearly not a mono jack if it has 3 prongs contacting the plug.

I didn't realize the plug was already installed on the guitar. The view from the outside obviously does not show what type of jack it is, but it seems pretty obvious that it's a stereo jack

Guest Farnsbarns

It's clearly not a mono jack if it has 3 prongs contacting the plug.

I didn't realize the plug was already installed on the guitar. The view from the outside obviously does not show what type of jack it is, but it seems pretty obvious that it's a stereo jack

See this a lot. Stereo jacks used in mono applications and wired accordingly. That orange speaker cab which came up the other day had that. The chap who wanted to daisy chain in series so I did him a diagram.

See this a lot. Stereo jacks used in mono applications and wired accordingly. That orange speaker cab which came up the other day had that. The chap who wanted to daisy chain in series so I did him a diagram.

Yep it's common. Actually some times stereo jacks are cheaper than mono when I've bought in bulk before. Couldn't give you a definite reason why.

If I were to guess, I'd say this looks like a "shrouded" jack from the outside, which are pretty much usually stereo (and switched)

Okay, cool. As long as it looks okay to you (more knowledgeable) guys. You know how you go over every detail when it's a new guitar (particularly when you've had to "make do" with just one for quite some time), and I'd never seen that type of guitar jack before.

Thank you very much for your input. The V sounds and plays SO good. The Dirty Fingers really do sing :)

Archived