Gibson Brands Forums

Automatic tuner

MorrisrownSal

These tuners are a bit ridiculous IMO. However, the "robo" tuners like the "G-Force" tuners Gibson made standard on all 2015 models, have some merit for players who use a lot of alternate tunings. To be able to record a preset tuning like DADGAD or DADGBE or CGCGCE etc. and just touch a button to have the guitar shift the tuning is great. There were some Epiphone acoustic models that had the G-Force attached and I thought that would be a great gigging guitar for an alternate tuning enthusiast or a Joni Mitchell cover artist. :)

Am I alone?

Why are these things gaining traction? I dont get it. Is it way too hard to tune your string with your hands... guided by a Snark or such ... that we need this?

Maybe you oguys think it's a good idea; yes I know the market ultimately decides:

Seems like the market for the kickstarter tuner (not the G-force) would mostly be people who find manual tuning to be difficult, confusing, etc. I.e., new players. Doesn't seem like many of them would want to shell out $129 for the gizmo.

On an acoustic you often get a slight difference (especially at low E) between the accuracy of an open low E string and the same string at fret 1... just because you press it with finger it adds tension.

I often try to average this by lowering slightly low E below the real sharp low E given by a tuner. It makes this kind of robot kind of useless from start, since it would not do that.

Another "sign of the times." Not for me either, but the old days are not coming back... Seriously, this kind of stuff is getting scary. In the not-too-distant future, much of the world will be serviced by robots of one form or another....and the lazier we get, the more acceptable and natural it becomes. In our little musical corner of the planet we've already got guitar players getting too damn lazy to tune their guitars. Young players are going to grow-up with this kind of thing. Hell, my grandkids are growing-up where little kids have their own cell phones and lap tops. We've now got cars that do the driving. What many of us now believe is normal and or necessary is going to disappear with all of us dinosaurs. What's really sad is that a lot of tradition and everyday "being human" things are on the way out........As far as tuning my guitars goes, I've got a clip-on in each case (and one in my car). If somehow it's not in there, then I've got a solar-powered tuner attached to my gear bag, and if that don't work I'll tune with a harmonica and if I don't have a harp around, I can tune the guitar to itself and go from there. It IS possible to "teach an old dog new tricks," if he has the patience and interest in learning. On this tuning stuff, I'll stick with what I've got.

... the "robo" tuners like the "G-Force" tuners Gibson made standard on all 2015 models, have some merit for players who use a lot of alternate tunings. ... There were some Epiphone acoustic models that had the G-Force attached ...

Actually Gibson has had an acoustic robo available since last year - the Songwriter Progressive - yep, that's a tune-o-matic bridge.

10577022-front-large.jpg . 10577022-detail4-large.jpg

Why not just invent something that will strum it leaving your right hand free to drink a beer

Edit

Just realised how some might abuse that

Yep. I can almost predict the next evolution. Just like someone (Beuchamp, Rickenbacker, Les Paul?) invented the electric guitar as a mind-boggling step forward - someone will come up with a 'virtual' guitar within a few years. Carbon Fiber, one of these automatic tuners built in. Just push a button for the tuning you want. No Strings. No Frets - a series of 120 electrodes in the fretboard marked by a little smiley face sticker so you know where to press. And, instead of building up callouses by pressing on steel strings, there will be little nerf dimples to cushion your fingers. Strumming - not a problem for us beer drinkers. You can pick a pattern, like with electronic key boards. Fingerpicking won't interfere with beer drinking either: a built in App will offer 100+ patterns you can pick from. Of course, in addition to "Strum" or "Fingerpick" - there will be a 'Manual" mode for the air guitar guys who want to impress the vapid chicks. No strings? No Problem. Lasers will pickup your strumming pattern from the transmitter in your $250 iPick from Apple. And, for the acoustic crowd - a simulator so you can get some geeks idea of a Vintage J45 sound as opposed to a D28 or John Lennon's J160E.

I'm glad I was born in the last century. A clip-on tuner is as far as I'm willing to venture forth in this brave, new world.

Crazy as it seems....someone is interested, the money pledged is already more than double what they were asking for development, nearly $122,000.00 so far.

It appears that some people are just screaming for a reason to unload some of their cash.

Archived