Gibson Brands Forums

Bucket list time

Tman

I have wanted to record on an album since the 70’s. When I dropped out of college in 79 to pursue a rock star career, it only took me 6 months to realize a couple of things: I wasn’t going to be a rock star and I couldn’t make enough money to support myself.

Fast forward 38 years. My songwriting partner and I will go into an LA Studio and record 12 songs starting Saturday. I took a loan against my retirement account. My wife supports the whole thing.

I am nervous, anxious and incredibly excited about the whole prospect. Ryan Greene (Megadeth’s Countdown to Extinction) is our producer. He told us he has always wanted to do a classic rock type album (think dinosaur [crying]).

I have learned a tremendous amount here on the Gibson forum over the last 6 or 7 years. Thank you.

Now it's time for me to sh!t or get off the pot. Cheers and wish me luck.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, especially if it will save me some valuable time and or frustration.

Guest Farnsbarns

I owe you an apology. I've been so ridiculously busy and stressed out i never got to listen to the tracks. My sincerest apologies. I hope it all goes well. The songs will be great, i have no doubt.

Wow.. what a great thing to do.. The very best of luck with it....

Advice... Well, I think when recording, if you have a good producer with you, that's kind of half the battle there.. A good producer will make sure everything sounds as it should and its all mixed well... On your side, I would say this.. Make sure you are happy with whats going on.. If these are your tunes and your vision it will only annoy the hell out of you after if you just settle while in the excitement of recording. Like say a solo is done, and its ok, but you know it can be better.. Do it till you are happy.

Its the small details that get you :)

But as I say, if you have a really experienced producer.. Sometimes they can see things with their experience that you cant... So also don't get upset if he criticises your work, that's what hes being paid to do :) He may suggest stuff like key or timing changes stuff like that.

Other than that.. Try to enjoy it and take it all in... Its only rock n roll ;)

I owe you an apology. I've been so ridiculously busy and stressed out i never got to listen to the tracks. My sincerest apologies. I hope it all goes well. The songs will be great, i have no doubt.

Not at all my friend! II know you are busy with what all is going on!

I'm trying to do the same thing myself at home using two Boss BR1600s. trouble is I'm not a sound engineer and it shows. and... Ive been doing it for ages!

I'm sure you have the right approach and attitude. Go for it and enjoy!

I think it is really tough to do on your own or at least it has been for me. Thanks merciful!

Too late for my advice. Good luck with it and give it hellz!

rct

Why too late? Unless you are going to say "Don't waste your time dude" [scared][biggrin]

Wow.. what a great thing to do.. The very best of luck with it....

Advice... Well, I think when recording, if you have a good producer with you, that's kind of half the battle there.. A good producer will make sure everything sounds as it should and its all mixed well... On your side, I would say this.. Make sure you are happy with whats going on.. If these are your tunes and your vision it will only annoy the hell out of you after if you just settle while in the excitement of recording. Like say a solo is done, and its ok, but you know it can be better.. Do it till you are happy.

Its the small details that get you :)

But as I say, if you have a really experienced producer.. Sometimes they can see things with their experience that you cant... So also don't get upset if he criticises your work, that's what hes being paid to do :) He may suggest stuff like key or timing changes stuff like that.

Other than that.. Try to enjoy it and take it all in... Its only rock n roll ;)

Thanks Rabs! Sage advice. The producer has already suggested the key and tempo changes. [biggrin] I love your advice of do it until you are happy. That is what I want to do. We have 9 days to finish 12 songs. Our producer has a reputation of bringing out the best in people. He and my other partners can criticize as much as they want. I have no track record of hit songs to even have an ego. [crying] My only ego in it so far is that I think the songs are pretty good!

The very best of luck, here's hoping you finally become a rock star [thumbup]

Ian

Thanks Ian! I have no illusions or delusions now that I am of advancing age and in fact I am thinking of upping my lipitor dosage to account for all the extra adrenalin in my system! [scared]

Why too late? Unless you are going to say "Don't waste your time dude" [scared][biggrin]

No way man! The retirement thing is all. I, well, me and Mrs, same decision a couple years later. Looking forward to starting a few bands in retirement next year and borrowing it would scare the hsit out of me!

rct

No way man! The retirement thing is all. I, well, me and Mrs, same decision a couple years later. Looking forward to starting a few bands in retirement next year and borrowing it would scare the hsit out of me!

rct

Good point. What allowed me to sell it is that the loan against my retirement is paid back into the account with interest. Now the interest won't be as much as it would make sitting in the account but worst case at least it is paid back. :blink:

Perhaps as I'd of said the same thing, but it's your money! Have fun with it.

There was once my band actually paid to record at Gravity Studios with an engineer. I have many fond memories of the 15 hour days we spent in the studio for those 3-4 days and I cherish those memories and think 'what could have been (if we were better!)'.

Perhaps as I'd of said the same thing, but it's your money! Have fun with it.

There was once my band actually paid to record at Gravity Studios with an engineer. I have many fond memories of the 15 hour days we spent in the studio for those 3-4 days and I cherish those memories and think 'what could have been (if we were better!)'.

I'm looking forward to the future memories (sounds like a potential country song coming on). I know we are going to spend 10 hour days but for 9 days that will be a lot.

I wish I had the talent to do that.

I can't wait to hear some tracks.

You probably do have the talent. They can work miracles on ProTools nowadays. [biggrin] I will post the tracks when we are done. Thanks!

Tman, break a leg and all that good luck stuff. I think they call it, following your bliss. Good for you!

Thanks Hall!

I forgot to say what equipment I'll be using. The studio has a Matchless amp so I'm looking forward to using it. I'll also bring my ToneKing Skyking (6L6 blackface 30 watt clone). Between the 2 I think I can get the tone I am looking for.

1995 Les Paul classic (I replaced the stock pickups with burstbucker 1s and also Tonepros hardware), a 2011 Fender Strat (American Standard), a 2016 Offset Telecaster (also American Standard), a 2016 Acacia Gibson J-45 custom, Rosewood J-45 Custom and a J-200.

Some borrowed but man, what a dream come true for me equipment wise.

All the best Phillip. You are a winner and I've no doubt it'll be awesome!

Thanks Scalses! Believe it or not there is orchestration in one song that was recorded near Melbourne. [thumbup] Friend of my sisters sort of thing. There is a cool studio there.

My son has a pro studio and we've been blessed with access to it a few times.

Don't be scared, you'll KILL it.. I loved the preview I heard a few weeks ago.

go ger er done Tman.

Thanks KB! I am scared but going to transfer that energy into some music (hopefully) [crying][thumbup]

Well, Two'Ells, if 'LA Traffic' is anything to go by we're all in for a treat!

I wish you all the best of good fortune and to enjoy the hell out of the experience!

msp_thumbup.gif

One'Ell.

Thanks! As you know I think you're One Ell of a guy! Ba dump, that is where that started if you remember [biggrin]. I am certainly going to try to enjoy it. I really like all the players so it's looking good.

I'm excited for you! The only thing I'll get to do on my bucket list is kick the bucket⚰

Well at least you have a Gibson so that should count for at least part of the list [thumbup]

That sounds so COOL!!!! I am jealous and envious, and also so glad and excited to hear about you taking on such a great opportunity! [thumbup]

I am a Dave Mustaine fan. Countdown to Extinction was a quite a different album for Megadeth, but an album I liked very much. I would be so stoked to be working with that producer in the studio!

Best of luck and prayers out to you. Try to relax and enjoy every moment.

Take some pics and post them here so we can live vicariously please. :rolleyes:

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, especially if it will save me some valuable time and or frustration.

Well, many recording engineers I have dealt with are lazy. I mean, they would rather have you go direct that mic an amp (especially with bass guitar). I realize that mic'ing an amp takes some time, but if you have a good engineer it is worth it. Same goes for acoustic guitar...mic them.

Also, make sure you save your recording to an external drive to back it up. Last time I was in the studio, there was a guy in studio B and the computer "crashed" on him and he lost the last take of his song with all the drum fixes. He was not too happy.

Oh, and at the end of the day, take your equipment home with you...'nuff said.

Also, make sure you save your recording to an external drive to back it up. Last time I was in the studio, there was a guy in studio B and the computer "crashed" on him and he lost the last take of his song with all the drum fixes. He was not too happy.

Wow. What a nightmare. At least the whole session wasn't lost. I've luckily never had that happen in the home studio.

When I was in the studio 2003 or so, protocols was just starting to be implemented. Luckily we got to record to tape on a Neve board. I wonder how many studios use tape at this point.

Archived