Gibson Brands Forums

Good Replalcement Nut for Les Pauls?

Twang Gang

My new LP has a binding nut - I've used some graphite on it, but it's an age old problem. Some LPs don't bind too much and others are pretty sticky - this one sticks often. Funny it doesn't ping when tuning, but just about any string bends put the G and B flat.

I know many of you have replaced the nut with something other than the factory Gibson. I am going to see if I can get this one filed, but was also considering a roller or some other nut to solve the problem.

In your experiences is bone or Tusq less likely to bind up? What alternative nuts have you guys used that worked well?

Thanks

A well cut nut works as well as a nut can, the material doesn't matter.

A set of tiny files and 5 minutes, if you understand how the nut should look, will solve your problem without changing it out for some "better" material.

rct

A well cut nut works as well as a nut can, the material doesn't matter.

A set of tiny files and 5 minutes, if you understand how the nut should look, will solve your problem without changing it out for some "better" material.

rct

I agree - took to a luthier. Dropped it off at 1:30PM at 1:50PM they called my house and said it was done. Just filed the nut a little and it seems 100%. I don't have the tools, knowledge, or the eyesight to do it myself, but lucky to have a local guy that has the experience and it seems fine now [thumbup] [thumbup]

I agree, with the above advice! [thumbup] However, I've always had Gibson nuts changed to "Bone,"

because I just prefer it, to other material. I suppose it stems from my "youth," as my guitars

then, all had "bone" nuts...they either came with it, or I had it changed, even then. So...???

[tongue][biggrin]

CB

Remember it's the width of the nut slot not the depth for fixing string binding

I was aware of that (width not depth) but as mentioned don't have the files, and never worked on one so didn't want to screw it up. The guy who worked on it, I did not know (new to the local shop), but he did a great job. I have been bashing on it pretty good yesterday and today bending that ol G string like crazy and it's staying in tune so I am relieved. [smile]

Archived