Gibson Brands Forums

Am I too Old???

george wooden

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it great to have a new passion in your life? And no better choice of pursuits than making music...I've never played one, but from all I've heard the J-15 is one of the best guitars for the money out there...enjoy the journey!

Outstanding that you've joined us and that you made a J-15 your guitar of choice. You'll find lots of encouragement here from a variety of ages and from folks with differing amounts of experience as well. I'm 70 and have been playing guitar for most of my life, but manage to learn things all the time from being around all the nice folks on the forum - many of whom, I'm convinced, have been playing for lots fewer years and are far better at it than I'll ever be! The whole idea is to enjoy yourself, make the guitar your friend and companion, and think of what you're doing as more playing than practicing. Every time you can add something you haven't done or used before, it just keeps getting better☺

Welcome George! You made an excellent choice. The only thing I may contribute, unless I missed something , is to read the "care and maintenance" part well. High end guitars need a lot more attention than lower end ones. Especially the proper humidification and finish maintenance.I'm a big stickler on that, cause these babies are not cheap.I always appreciate stories like yours! Again, welcome !

Thank you, the other side. Humidification was a subject I have been studying the past couple of days. I reside in the Piney woods of East Texas and my humidity normally ranges between 40-70%. I think I only ran my heater for 4-6 weeks this past winter, but the heater does dry the air so I will be buying humidity gauges and like gear, if I find I need them.

It's probably to late to end up as the guitarist behind Mills Brothers, but regarding learning a few chords and sewing them together to a handful of songs, , ,

never !

Thank you, E-minor7, I have a goal in my mind that exceeds that. I want to learn finger picking,

I'd like to add another suggestion that goes to making your initial effort as easy on your hands as possible. Hand discomfort can be a formidable roadblock. I play my old guitars tuned down a step to D-B-C-F-A-D, mostly to give myself extra vocal range, but it also goes a long way for extending playing time. It doesn't change chord shapes or scale positions, just the key. The playing stays the same and you might get longer practice time.

Isn't it great to have a new passion in your life? And no better choice of pursuits than making music...I've never played one, but from all I've heard the J-15 is one of the best guitars for the money out there...enjoy the journey!

Thanks, Cabarone, you need to treat yourself to the privilege of going to your closest music center and taking one off the wall and sitting done for a while and finding yourself wrapped up in joy.

Outstanding that you've joined us and that you made a J-15 your guitar of choice. You'll find lots of encouragement here from a variety of ages and from folks with differing amounts of experience as well. I'm 70 and have been playing guitar for most of my life, but manage to learn things all the time from being around all the nice folks on the forum - many of whom, I'm convinced, have been playing for lots fewer years and are far better at it than I'll ever be! The whole idea is to enjoy yourself, make the guitar your friend and companion, and think of what you're doing as more playing than practicing. Every time you can add something you haven't done or used before, it just keeps getting better☺

Hello OldCowboy, where about's do you hide out? I reside in the Piney woods now, but in almost 50 years here I have covered West Texas, Central Texas, the Gulf, and now, here. I ended being forced into medical retirement here after major surgery. I did not imagine retirement here, I was thinking the Hill Country, but I have become adjusted to life here and am content.

The J-15 is awesome. Welcome aboard.

Thank you, EuroAussie, Today has really been a great day for me. This forum is a goldmine of gracious, warm folks. Y'all are friends I just have not had the pleasure of meeting yet. I could not be more blessed. My prayer list tonight will be a lot longer, I love this!

I'd like to add another suggestion that goes to making your initial effort as easy on your hands as possible. Hand discomfort can be a formidable roadblock. I play my old guitars tuned down a step to D-B-C-F-A-D, mostly to give myself extra vocal range, but it also goes a long way for extending playing time. It doesn't change chord shapes or scale positions, just the key. The playing stays the same and you might get longer practice time.

So, a G chord is still a G and an E is still an E, shape wise? that is interesting.

For 50+ years I have been telling my kids "You are never too old to learn". A few years back I added, "Learn to play the guitar" to my bucket list. A moment of weakness came over me and now I am committed. I have always had a thing for Martin and Gibson guitars, I love both very much, did I make a good choice???

Yes, welcome.

You said you were old but not how old! Some think they are old at 35, others think they are young at 95.....

Hardest thing about playing acoustic guitar is not starting but keeping going - it can take many many years. So to push you along a bit, here is an online guitar teacher to take a look at (try and start at the beginning!):

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

BluesKing777.

Well good luck with it..

When ever new players ask me about learning.. What I say is that there IS a hump you have to get past... Just training your fingers to move a certain way and hold the strings down firmly enough.. And all I can do is assure you, if you are determined and its something you want you WILL succeed. Getting past that hump is the hardest bit, the rest is more fun :)

My brother in law started when he was 40, by the time he was 42 he had learned most of the chords and strumming patterns and then started on stuff like scales.. Hes now 45 and I would say he can play a guitar.. He has even gone as far as to perform in public with a group... So yeah.. NEVER too late...

Best advice... Play things at a speed you can play them with no mistakes... Then once you get it slowly increase the speed you play it at. [thumbup]

What I a hearing from y'all is making a lot of sense. I am going to start keeping a journal with all these pearls of wisdom. Then, down the road, I will be able to refer back and acknowledge all of you for how you helped me get to where I will be then, compared to the novice I am right now.

Hello OldCowboy, where about's do you hide out? I reside in the Piney woods now, but in almost 50 years here I have covered West Texas, Central Texas, the Gulf, and now, here. I ended being forced into medical retirement here after major surgery. I did not imagine retirement here, I was thinking the Hill Country, but I have become adjusted to life here and am content.

I seem to have experienced a similar situation with location. I've been back/forth between the Austin area (preference) and Indiana (work and family) most of my life. Got hit with the major surgery a bit over 8 years ago and had to cut back on travel and horses accordingly. Then legal blindness - since corrected - shattered knees - since replaced - demanded more cutbacks. So here I am, spending most of my time in Indiana without having planned to do so. Miss maintaining my own herd of horses, but this is horse country of a sort and I try to do as much as I'm able working with horse rescue and therapy horses. Anyhow, there's more time for me to spend with the guitar. My adjustment is sort of a work in progress, and contentment - though elusive - gets better with time. Looking forward to hearing more from you as time passes!

So, a G chord is still a G and an E is still an E, shape wise? that is interesting.

Exactly. Shapes and intervals are the same. If you are at the slackened key I play at and need to play in standard tuning, as in playing along with a lesson, you just slap the capo on just behind the second fret and you're back at E-A-D-G-B-E. Your little digital tuner will tell you when you are exactly in any chosen tuning too.

Congrats on the guitar and welcome to the forum, George. The J15 is a sweet guitar to start with. It's even a sweet guitar if you're a pro. Lots of great advice being given to you and it's all "right on the mark." Remember---if you know 3-4 chords, you can play thousands of songs. Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, Peter-Paul&Mary, Neil Diamond, and on and on. Just keep making the chords, going-back-and-forth from one chord to another, over and over. It will become 2nd nature to you. Once you're playing some songs, you desire will burn even hotter. Glad you're here. And if you need some support or info, just start a thread and ask. Welcome to the family, my friend.

This is funny. I asked my self the same thing 2 years ago. The other day I was watching a guitar lesson video and I read the guys bio and he said that he started playing late... at age 19!!!! Hahaha. I was 50 when I started. 2 years later and I suck a little less every day. There is definitely a "hump" to get over, at least for me. Anyway, I'm glad I started and stuck with it. If you want it enough you can do it! Good luck!

1490814608[/url]' post='1845464']

For 50+ years I have been telling my kids "You are never too old to learn". A few years back I added, "Learn to play the guitar" to my bucket list. A moment of weakness came over me and now I am committed. I have always had a thing for Martin and Gibson guitars, I love both very much, did I make a good choice???

You did good. Welcome to Gibson World. You can never leave.

Welcome Aboard George! It's never too late! Look at it this way, when a guy (or girl) picks up a guitar in their early teens, many of them are already professional players by the time they are in their late teens. It's an obesession that, if you are hooked, will be with you till the day you die. I started at 14, and at 61 just as obesssed and in love with guitar as the day I made my first G chord. I still play every day. I plan on being on my death bed with my Les Paul plugged into a Fender Twin cranked to 10 and implode the walls that surround me! What a way to go! Great guitar by the way! It will give you pleasure for the rest of your life! Enjoy my friend!

Thank you, E-minor7, I have a goal in my mind that exceeds that. I want to learn finger picking,

Sounds like a good plan. F-picking is a wonderful thing to conquer and fortunately there are patterns for every stage.

Even after step 1 you'll discover some kind of life-change.

It's worth every hour ^ a blessing in all directions

Welcome George, sounds like you are ready to embrace the challenge. Enjoy each little victory along the way.

Early on in my fingerpicking journey I found Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking" to be a very helpful resource.

Cheers!

Yes, welcome.

You said you were old but not how old! Some think they are old at 35, others think they are young at 95.....

Hardest thing about playing acoustic guitar is not starting but keeping going - it can take many many years. So to push you along a bit, here is an online guitar teacher to take a look at (try and start at the beginning!):

https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

BluesKing777.

Thank You, BluesKing777. How old, about 2daysoldrndirt. Thirty-five years ago the lady who would become my wife told me I had two shortcomings. First, I was little, and second I was old. In six weeks I will celebrate my 74th birthday. I will be playing before I turn 75.

Archived