Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

badbluesplayer

Two thumbs down - [thumbdn] [thumbdn]

Meh, bummer. Plays nice, sounds great. Nice and resonant. But the bridge is kind of junky and I'm pretty sure they messed it up when they installed it. I'd have to replace the bridge. I'm pretty sure I could do it but I'm not confident that there aren't any underlying problems with the guitar that I can't recognize at this point. If I bought it from a local shop I might be able to talk with them and have them fix it but that's not how it works with online sales. They might give me like a hundred bucks to keep it and fix it but I don't really think I want to go there. The saddle appears to compensated for a wound third string and the guitar comes with a plain third, so that wasn't right.

Neck was almost unacceptable with no relief on the high e side with too much relief on the low e side. But it didn't buzz and might have been o.k.

The case is defective. You have to force it shut. Two latches popped open during shipping and seems like it will pop open regularly. It had been whacked and a little chunk of tolex was gone. There's a manufacturing defect where the edge of the cover piece wasn't cut right and then they just tolexed over it. So that kind of sucks.

So, eh, what are you gonna do? It is what it is. That kind of thing. I only played it for about fifteen minutes the first time, I was so disgusted with it. Then I talked myself into playing it for an hour or so and it was pretty playable but just not up to snuff. Fretwork was o.k. Nut work pretty good - would need a little more.

Maybe I'll give it another chance this morning but I kind of doubt it. I hope I don't have to pay the return shipping.

[unsure]

Sorry to hear it isn't working out. I know the feeling, you buy a guitar with high hopes that when you get it, it's YEAH, instante bond but doesn't always happen. I bought an ES 339 when they first came out and was so disappointed when it arrived, set up was horrible and I was expecting a great unplugged sound witch it didn't have either. Never bonded with it and eventually traded it for a Chect Atkins 6120 that I also didn't bond with and sold... Last guitar I bought that I got an instant bonding was a Taylor 214ce Delux, play it every day... My original robot was also an instant bond. Nice when it happens [thumbup]

Sorry mate, mine came with two bridge saddles and was already set up with flat wounds and intonation was spot on.

Thanks for the info!

Whoa!! - I just noticed that the "unwound" saddle is in the case. They had the wrong one installed for the unwound third and I wasn't cluing in. I need to get it strung up with the right saddle on there and see if the bridge will sit fairly flat now.

Mr. Master Luthier here. I should have noticed that before.

Oh, and the case, I think I can probably fix it. Maybe.

[biggrin] There's still hope!! [-o<

Thanks for the info!

Whoa!! - I just noticed that the "unwound" saddle is in the case. They had the wrong one installed for the unwound third and I wasn't cluing in. I need to get it strung up with the right saddle on there and see if the bridge will sit fairly flat now.

Mr. Master Luthier here. I should have noticed that before.

Oh, and the case, I think I can probably fix it. Maybe.

[biggrin] There's still hope!! [-o<

I would at least be asking them to send a new case, assuming you can fix the bridge issues. If not, get a return authorization from them and have them send you a whole new guitar.

ah... I was also hoping you'd have a winner. the look like cool guitars.

Despite the bridge shenanigans... What's up with this:

Neck was almost unacceptable with no relief on the high e side with too much relief on the low e side.

That would give me some cause for concern, I'd have to see it to be sure I'd let it ride.. however, sounds iffy at best.

where'd ya buy from??? most of these large places have a pretty workable return policy..

ah... I was also hoping you'd have a winner. the look like cool guitars.

Despite the bridge shenanigans... What's up with this:

Neck was almost unacceptable with no relief on the high e side with too much relief on the low e side.

That would give me some cause for concern, I'd have to see it to be sure I'd let it ride.. however, sounds iffy at best.

where'd ya buy from??? most of these large places have a pretty workable return policy..

Yeah - what he said. [confused]

Too bad it wasn't what you expected. Sweetwater will certainly take it back though and send you another if they have it or give a full refund. Not sure who pays the return shipping - probably you, but they always pay the shipping on the sale so you're not really out much compared to buying anywhere else.

Neck relief issue would scare me. Should be very close to the same on both high and low E so could be neck is a little twisted? [scared]

Bummer when you are so psyched for a couple days waiting for it and then it disappoints.

Condolences.

Why no mention of what the guitar is and why would you expect it to be set up perfectly put of the box? I have never received a guitar, new or used, that was perfect right out the gate. Let it get used to your environment, adjust the neck/bridge, then complain about unacceptable relief.

Why no mention of what the guitar is and why would you expect it to be set up perfectly put of the box? I have never received a guitar, new or used, that was perfect right out the gate. Let it get used to your environment, adjust the neck/bridge, then complain about unacceptable relief.

The guitar model is in the title, I never bought a guitar that I didn't set up myself either. And thanks for the big tip about how to acclimate a guitar to the surroundings. Thanks for your help. I'm a moron who needs it. [thumbup]

I'm slightly cranky too...

I finally figured out that somebody at the factory or at Sweetwater turned the floating bridge around 180 degrees and then turned the saddle back around to the correct position. So the bridge wouldn't sit flat and it was rocking back and forth and squirming around. Once I figured that out and got the bridge turned around everything was hunky dory with the tuning. Silly me!!

I played it a couple hours yesterday and it was really nice. The neck's a little twisted by it won't buzz even with the action nice and low, so... we'll see. It'll probably be o.k.

I'm going to make a new rosewood saddle for it for the unwound third string and see how that goes. Hopefully that will get the guitar to where it needs to be.

I'm trying to fix the case. I straightened out the bad tolex work and I'm going to adjust the clasps and see if it'll stay shut.

Thanks for y'all's help and encouragement. I'll take some pix if I decide to keep it. It looks pretty good at this point.

[thumbup]

1491056875[/url]' post='1846163']

I finally figured out that somebody at the factory or at Sweetwater turned the floating bridge around 180 degrees and then turned the saddle back around to the correct position. So the bridge wouldn't sit flat and it was rocking back and forth and squirming around. Once I figured that out and got the bridge turned around everything was hunky dory with the tuning. Silly me!!

I played it a couple hours yesterday and it was really nice. The neck's a little twisted by it won't buzz even with the action nice and low, so... we'll see. It'll probably be o.k.

I'm going to make a new rosewood saddle for it for the unwound third string and see how that goes. Hopefully that will get the guitar to where it needs to be.

I'm trying to fix the case. I straightened out the bad tolex work and I'm going to adjust the clasps and see if it'll stay shut.

Thanks for y'all's help and encouragement. I'll take some pix if I decide to keep it. It looks pretty good at this point.

[thumbup]

msp_thumbup.gif

Good to hear there's hope! I don't think you're being silly at all. I think most people who are really into guitar are prone to a bit of perfectionism, particularly since guitars aren't exactly free!

What does Karma think, btw?

Archived