Gibson Brands Forums

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

daveinspain

....nice hmm?...

No.

Strip off all the decorative stuff; have an unmarked 'board and plain p'g, however, and I'd be right with you. The guitar is fine; the decoration is appalling.

IMO a body that simple needs simple adornments. 'Plain Body and Over-Gilded Lily' is too much of a clash of styles for my (admittedly epicurean) tastes.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Now that's what we need in this thread - some real monstrosities.

Hadn't seen such a detailed close-up of this SG before. Looks like all that is just screwed to the top?

How d'ya turn the knobs? #-o Oh I don't suppose you do. :lol:

@p - that occurred to me too but I think we can be sure [biggrin] it was a LOT more....(and I like it!)

Now that's what we need in this thread - some real monstrosities.

Hadn't seen such a detailed close-up of this SG before. Looks like all that is just screwed to the top?

How d'ya turn the knobs? #-o Oh I don't suppose you do. :lol:

@p - that occurred to me too but I think we can be sure [biggrin] it was a LOT more....(and I like it!)

How about the Pine Cone Strat

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/features/pine-cone-stratocaster/

Diamonds

550 high-grade diamonds are hand-embedded into the body to make them level with its surface. Fingerboard inlays, side dots and a carved headstock “belt” are also crowned with the spectacular jewels.

Silver

Each Pine Cone “scale” is gilded with fine silver and 18-karat gold after being traced and hand carved from a 3-D original egg image projected onto the instrument.

Gold

Shishkov hand-inlaid 10 feet of 18-karat gold wire trellis into the fingerboard. The hand-engraved hardware is also gold-plated, including custom knobs milled from scratch and adorned with diamonds.

header_zpsefyljnlb.jpg

Ugly (or just plain silly), apologies as it's not even a guitar -

ChapmanStick_zpsv6olwis7.jpg

Ok that's enough.

The Pine Cone Strat NEEDS gold-plated strings (Optima, about £15 a set)....comes with a miniature elephant, well of course it does! ](*,)

Ferrari Red LP Custom - [love]

FerrariRedLPCustom_zpsxfilfglw.jpg

[/quote}

John, that's got to be one of the best looking LPs I've ever seen - was that a stock colour? Did they use it on any other LP's?

I [love] it too and would be far to busy playing it to iron the damn sheets!

John, that's got to be one of the best looking LPs I've ever seen - was that a stock colour? Did they use it on any other LP's?

I [love] it too and would be far to busy playing it to iron the damn sheets!

Unfortunately I don't know! Probably not is the answer to both but perhaps one of our resident LP experts would know?

Can't remember where I got the pic either now. :-k#-o

If looks & specs alone did it, this would be my perfect guitar.

No cutaway.

Perfect f-hole shaping.

Ebony board with no inlays.

Grover tuners.

One Kent Armstrong neck pickup.

Eastman AR805E

GOOD

386-2.jpg

Nothing of course is perfect. These sound a bit disappointing, and thats the most important bit.

• 3 weeks later...

About 14 yrs ago...I couldn't afford a real Stratocaster at the time. Musician's Friend offered a Floyd Rose Discovery Speedloader guitar as their Stupid Deal of the Day for either $99 or $149. It was shaped like a Strat and had 3 single coil pickups and a Whammy (just like the one pictured), I thought maybe it was a useable copy of a Strat. What a POS, was nearly impossible to keep it tuned. I couldn't get rid of that dog fast enough.

FR%20Discovery%20Guitar_zpsp0voqvdc.jpgFR%20Discovery%20Guitar_zpsp0voqvdc.jpg

Archived