Gibson Brands Forums

Korean Ej200

Richie321

Hi how better is the quality of a korean ej200 compared to the indonesian versions they have on the market now. Are the korean modals better quality woods?? My reason for asking is ive got a indonesian one .but ive all so just won a 2001 korean modal. From ebay Im told these are the best versions can anyone give me more details thanks

Hi how better is the quality of a korean ej200 compared to the indonesian versions they have on the market now. Are the korean modals better quality woods?? My reason for asking is ive got a indonesian one .but ive all so just won a 2001 korean modal. From ebay Im told these are the best versions can anyone give me more details thanks

the Indonesian ones are pretty great. they're made by Samick and Samick makes great stuff for Epiphone. You'll be in a good position to compare the two and report back!.

The Indonesians have a pretty decent reputation over all at this time. Some of the Koreans do, others not so much. The case with both is that the consistently can vary from one example to the next. You're more likely to score a really outstanding Indonesion more often. A side-by-side comparison is the only sure way to tell, and even that's going to be greatly subjective.

This is what i was told about the one im getting

Samick built, 2001 Korean Epiphone EJ200,

If you are viewing this, you will probably already be aware that these Korean built epiphones far exceed the quality of the later Chinese and Indonesian builds!

This is what i was told about the one im getting

If you are viewing this, you will probably already be aware that these Korean built epiphones far exceed the quality of the later Chinese and Indonesian builds!

OK! ☺

I think that's an exaggeration. And a generalization. Yes, those old Korean-made Epiphones are good. But so is every Chinese-made and Indonesian-made Epiphone that I've ever seen. You tell us if you see and hear any difference!

I think that's an exaggeration. And a generalization. Yes, those old Korean-made Epiphones are good. But so is every Chinese-made and Indonesian-made Epiphone that I've ever seen. You tell us if you see and hear any difference!

Not to mention that the blurb is the seller's pitch and, thus, couldn't possibly be called into question😏

So are you saying both indonesian and korean are as good as each other???

my official stance is i don't base an opinion on where a guitar was made. for all we know, there's a guy somewhere that has a Chinese built EJ-200 that is better than both of yours. Then again, it's all a matter of opinion and preference.

All i did was ask which is best .the replys are as if ive said korean is 100% best lol

i think most of the responses are to the guy selling you the Korean one [biggrin]

it will be interesting to hear your opinion on which one you feel is better though.

I told the guy from the music store were i got my guitar from what was said on here.he replied

What I will say about the Korean vs Indonesian debate is that the Korean models are generally held in higher regard than the Chinese and Indonesian models. They will definitely hold their value better as time goes on, which is the more most important thing. Every guitar will vary and you will find good Indonesian/Chinese models undoubtedly.

quality across the board. I would always take a Korean model over Indonesian with Epiphone, Squier, Cort, Hamer etc. The time and energy and cost of production are all higher. People on forums will always agree/disagree, but if you look across the board on Google, you will see that they are more highly respected!

Well, if you already knew the answer, why did you need our chopped liver opinions?

No i came to you guys for your opinion first i didnt get his coments still after id told him whst you guys had said i then came back on here to show you his reply to you people

I told the guy from the music store were i got my guitar from what was said on here.he replied

What I will say about the Korean vs Indonesian debate is that the Korean models are generally held in higher regard than the Chinese and Indonesian models. They will definitely hold their value better as time goes on, which is the more most important thing. Every guitar will vary and you will find good Indonesian/Chinese models undoubtedly.

quality across the board. I would always take a Korean model over Indonesian with Epiphone, Squier, Cort, Hamer etc. The time and energy and cost of production are all higher. People on forums will always agree/disagree, but if you look across the board on Google, you will see that they are more highly respected!

I think maybe at one time the Korean vs Indonesian debate could be made and most would probably say the Korean made was of better quality. With the current production coming out of Indonesia; I don't know that you could make the argument that one is superior to the other. In regards to the time and energy and cost of production...he may know something we don't. what i do know is this: Epiphone produces guitars by the thousands and use several vendors. It would only make sense that they would have all of their vendors build for the same cost (give or take a few pennies). It wouldn't make any sense for them to pay a factory in Korea $125 to make the same guitar that an Indonesian factory for $100. Like i said previously, you'll be the only one that can report back on this since you'll have both guitars and can compare build/quality/sound. By the way, i think you may have confused some of us when quoting your dealer. Use quotation marks if you're quoting someone. [thumbup]

• 2 years later...

I just found a 1994 EPI ej 200 korean ..Anyone know how they were made in that year? I have say the guitar is immaculate and aged well , awesome sound . Looks solid wood all around but im not sure ..I sent an email and pics to Gibson and should get a reply soon. Thanks 

• 1 month later...

I have a Korean made (Samick factory,2001) EJ-200 acoustic non-cutaway that I bought a couple of years ago.The solid Sitka Spruce top is beautifully bookmatched and what is really different is that the back is made of a single piece of maple that has been split down the center and had a checkered middle strip separating the 2 halves.I have played some of the more recent EJ-200-CEs cutaway acoustic-electrics and I have to say that there is no comparison when the Korean model is put up against the Indonesian or MIC models,the Korean models are as close as you can get to the $5,000+ Gibson.Even though the Indonesian and MIC models are quite good guitars,I'd take my 2001 MIK non-cutaway acoustic  EJ-200 over any MIC or MII EJ-200-CE acoustic-electric any day.

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a Korean made EJ 200 VS from its original owner who told me that the pick guard was not changed. The pick guard is a solid brown tortoise not the pick guard with the flowers on it. I have heard that at the very end of the Korean made EJ 200 that they had made an elite version. It does not say elite or elitist but the pick guard is the same that is on those models. Also the serial number starts with Y which is usually reserved for elite or elitist guitars. I guess my question is Was there ever an ej200 elite made in korea? Thanks for any help if there is any.

19 hours ago, Countryman said:

Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a Korean made EJ 200 VS from its original owner who told me that the pick guard was not changed. The pick guard is a solid brown tortoise not the pick guard with the flowers on it. I have heard that at the very end of the Korean made EJ 200 that they had made an elite version. It does not say elite or elitist but the pick guard is the same that is on those models. Also the serial number starts with Y which is usually reserved for elite or elitist guitars. I guess my question is Was there ever an ej200 elite made in korea? Thanks for any help if there is any.

There was an elite that was made in Japan in the 00s. what you have is likely an ej200 artist

There was also a Korean made EJ-300 with rosewood back & sides.

0FtHQKYl.jpg1YFuQTBl.jpg

I bought this one on Reverb but returned it for a full refund - frets were a mess and all the tuners were shot and it didn't sound or play anywhere as nice as my Indonesian EJ-200.

3t5ZiMSl.jpg