Gibson Brands Forums

NOGD--My first archtop!

bayoubengal1954

Well, I didn't think I would end up with a battered '45 Epiphone Triumph for my first archtop (thought it would be a Loar LH-700) but I put in what I thought was a low bid for the Triumph on ebay and won it. As you can see by the photos it is not close to a Collector Piece, but I don't care (you folks who remember my '48 Gibson J-50 with a horrible refin know what I'm about ).

There is a repaired crack on the lower f-hole and some overspray on part of the neck but it has had a fairly recent neck reset and refret and that was big for me. It arrived today and I love the barky sound. I am not a jazz guy by any means, but I have written a few songs that I know would sound great on an archtop.

Here is a quick and dirty sound clip of my rudimentary playing of the old Country Chestnut "Any Time" recorded on my lousy iphone 4 that I hope will at least give you an idea of the tone. The strings look to be D'Addario PBs and the guitar will be restrung soon with 13s but I was too excited to wait! After the sound clip link there are the obligatory pictures.

https://soundcloud.com/nolamericana/any-time-on-the-45-epiphone-triumph

941103096_tp_zpsckrjgetf.jpg

941103069_tp_zps1piznbup.jpg

941103081_tp_zpspwc0b8bq.jpg

941103170_tp_zpshd7veefv.jpg

941103123_tp_zpst0jselss.jpg

Congrats BB!

First thing I notice when I grab the Gibson archtop is the old wood SMELL! I should bottle it.

Yours?

I am going to have to drag it out at lunchtime.

How do you compare your 'vintage' Waterloo sound now, eh? Epi would have the real thing.

BluesKing777.

I've been searching for an old one for a while. I've been through a few. Here's the latest I have hope for. A closet queen that needs a little attention. Hope you enjoy yours.

1C81FA45-E36C-43B5-BE2E-BE0A4F4E7CE2_zpsu9c4mqnt.jpg

Congrats BB!

First thing I notice when I grab the Gibson archtop is the old wood SMELL! I should bottle it.

Yours?

I am going to have to drag it out at lunchtime.

How do you compare your 'vintage' Waterloo sound now, eh? Epi would have the real thing.

BluesKing777.

Thanks, BK! Seeing the pictures of your cool black Gibson archtop kept the fire stoking for me for sure! I know what you mean about the old wood smell. Maybe with only f-holes and not a big round hole, the smell lingers longer. [biggrin]

The Waterloo sounds great, but you are right it is not a true vintage tone. They did a pretty good job trying to get there, but it still needs time.

Lovely old guitar! I had a '47 Broadway for a while, and it is one of two archtops I owned that I still think of often - the Epiphones, it seems to me, had the edge in power and cutting capability, and this one has those in spades. Love that yours has original tuners, tailpiece, etc., too.

Archived