Gibson Brands Forums

My GAS story (I bought 3 Gibsons this month).!!!

jimmyboy

I used to have a Songwriter all koa before.Bought it for $1,600 off Ebay and someone offer me $2,900 for it so it's gone.

20160727_101957.jpg

Now I missed it and I started to look for another Gibson koa and then I saw this Songwriter on Reverb on sell for $1,495 +$100 next day shipping.I pulled the trigger right away.And yes,she's pretty and sounds awesome.

Smart_Select_Image_2017-03-28-14-37-42.png

20170318_232607.jpg

Two weeks later with some cash left. I saw a weird Gibson slope shoulder show up on Ebay.Seller say it's in brand new condition. So I wanna give it a try see what it's like. I never have a Gibson slope shoulder before (never have any J-XX).I wasn't too serious to go after it but ended up winning it anyway since only 2 people place bid on it.

Smart_Select_Image_2017-03-31-00-47-18.png

About 15 minutes after winning that weird Gibson.Ebay send me an offer 10% cash back on everything over $50 with a maximum of $100 per item.Here we go, this Songwriter show up for $1,350+$50 shipping.To me, if you can get a Songwriter EC Deluxe in mint condition for $1,300.It's no brainer.So GAS got me again.

Smart_Select_Image_2017-03-31-00-43-14.png

At the end.I'm glad that March is ending today or I might have another GAS for this month. Anyway if you have your GAS story. Feel free to share, folks.

Wish I'd seen that Deuce. I have one but I also have three friends who want to by it from me. A RW SJ with 19 frets and a rolled fingerboard. Very comfortable to play if set up properly.

Enjoy!

Haha, beauties in. Are you married or should I say still married? I like them all but the deuce really gets me. I wish they would have taken the time to get the dice configuration right (yes I know that is O.C.D.). Maybe they did it on purpose for some secret reason. Who knows?

Play them in good health. I guess it's safe for me to bid on EBay again.

Nice guitars. The Songwriter looks like a real beauty. I really like the Dwight model too. Don't see too many of them. Saw him several years ago in a roadhouse venue. He was super-good. Terrific showman. Several Johnny Cash stories, along with "life on the road" stories and lots of great music.........Enjoy your guitars. Get us some video if you can.

Hahaha...That's Gas-X wouldn't cured my GAS.By the way.Could someone please tell me more about the Honky tonk guitar that I just bought? I tried Gibson website but couldn't find much information about it.I thought it was one of J45 custom rosewood.And what's story with the dice?

I believe on real dice the one and six are always opposite. The Deuce shows them adjacent. Just a guess.

Bingo. Take a pair of dice and set them like they are on the deuce.They don't do that. Anyone who has shot a lot of dice sees it right away. I know it's just me. It isn't a deal killer just distracting. Like talking to someone with spinach between their front teeth.

Hahaha...That's Gas-X wouldn't cured my GAS.By the way.Could someone please tell me more about the Honky tonk guitar that I just bought? I tried Gibson website but couldn't find much information about it.I thought it was one of J45 custom rosewood.And what's story with the dice?

Dwight Yoakam signature model. In terms of construction quite similar to the J45 Custom Rosewood you thought it might be: Sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides. Besides the dice which mark it out as a Deuce, the other appointments make it a Southern or Southerner Jumbo rather than a J45: bound neck, additional rosette ring, multi-ply top and back binding, crown inlay in the headstock, and above all the double parallelogram fret marker inlays.

The SJ was originally introduced during WWII as a fancier J45 for buyers south of the Mason-Dixon line, though it found customers up north too (Woody Guthrie bought his in NYC). It has traditionally had a spruce top and mahogany back and sides like the standard J45s and J50s. Already in 1943, though, a number of SJs were built with rosewood back and sides, and Woody Guthrie's instrument had that configuration apparently. So the spruce and rosewood SJ effectively has a history as long as the SJ itself.

Nice guitar, and for my money the most desirable of the 3 you've bought, but then I own an SJ.

Wish I'd seen that Deuce. I have one but I also have three friends who want to by it from me. A RW SJ with 19 frets and a rolled fingerboard. Very comfortable to play if set up properly.

Enjoy!

Ditto on that deuce. I've wanted to try one of those out for a while. Cool grab.

I don't know if you found this link or not

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Dwight-Yoakam-Honky-Tonk-Deuce/Specs.aspx

I believe the first year (2004) they were strictly acoustic with no electronics and the first hundred have the labels personally signed by Dwight.

Besides the Sunburst, I've seen later years that had Natural tops.

Here's mine. What year is yours?

46249CDC-E8E2-4963-AE6E-7A4D160C0FC4_zpshwi15rgw.jpg

Dwight Yoakam signature model. In terms of construction quite similar to the J45 Custom Rosewood you thought it might be: Sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood back and sides. Besides the dice which mark it out as a Deuce, the other appointments make it a Southern or Southerner Jumbo rather than a J45: bound neck, additional rosette ring, multi-ply top and back binding, crown inlay in the headstock, and above all the double parallelogram fret marker inlays.

The SJ was originally introduced during WWII as a fancier J45 for buyers south of the Mason-Dixon line, though it found customers up north too (Woody Guthrie bought his in NYC). It has traditionally had a spruce top and mahogany back and sides like the standard J45s and J50s. Already in 1943, though, a number of SJs were built with rosewood back and sides, and Woody Guthrie's instrument had that configuration apparently. So the spruce and rosewood SJ effectively has a history as long as the SJ itself.

Nice guitar, and for my money the most desirable of the 3 you've bought, but then I own an SJ.

Thank you for the information.I think the most desirable of all 3 was the Songwriter KOA.Gibson may call it a Hummingbird but it's still a Songwriter to me.Compare to the newer Songwriter koa that sell for $3,649.Mine has Adirondack Red spruce top on it and it's limited edition 50 worldwide.

image.png

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Songwriter-Koa.aspx

It's very light weight about the same as the all Koa but this one is definitely louder.Maybe because it is a full body or it has Adirondack top...I don't know.

I'm not associated with seller but if anybody want one.There is one up for bid on ebay right now. The wood may not pretty as mine but it's up for grab.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222456258436

The Bird Artist is looks almost the same as my Songbird. The Bridge and fret markers are the only difference in outside appearance.

All the Songwriter,Songbird and CL Series are look the same except mine has Adirondack top.

usiacfr4c8etnz7xqfwr.jpg

And flamed KOA back and sides.

20170318_232607.jpg

Archived