Gibson Brands Forums

What is this P-90 pickup in my ES-175??

lastbeat

Hey Everybody,

I just bought a 1954 ES-175. The original pickup was included in the case. I looked to see what kind of pickup was installed, to maybe consider putting the original back in and came across an unusual looking P-90 underneath.

I'm sure one of you smarties will know what it is. Looks like a humbucker, or a hum canceling model. It sounds really good, so I may just keep it in, but something inside me kind of wants to drop that original 1954 P-90 in there!

Thanks in advance for you help!post-84774-085003500 1490977671_thumb.png

Very interesting....[thumbup]

Haven't got a clue about this....but Herb Ellis had one like this and was unhappy with the P90 hum....:blink:

It could be some form of hum cancelling 'single coiler' ......

If it was me, I would want to experience both sounds....so would probably get a cheap hollow single neck P/U jazz guitar....

Then try each P/U in each body.....

V

:-({|=

H65_03.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Hey Everybody,

I just bought a 1954 ES-175. The original pickup was included in the case. I looked to see what kind of pickup was installed, to maybe consider putting the original back in and came across an unusual looking P-90 underneath.

I'm sure one of you smarties will know what it is. Looks like a humbucker, or a hum canceling model. It sounds really good, so I may just keep it in, but something inside me kind of wants to drop that original 1954 P-90 in there!

Thanks in advance for you help!post-84774-085003500 1490977671_thumb.png

That pickup looks suspiciously like a single coil De'Armand P13 pickup. I have a 1957 Harmony with a P13 like that. Gibson and De'Armand used to make the P13 and it was hard to tell which was made by De'Aemond and which was made by Gibson. You may have a Gibson P13 there. They are

expensive to buy now. You can find them but they are not common now. Definitely vintage equipment.http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/csQAAOSw4CFY0WXN/s-l1600.jpg

Here is a variant of the P13 but really the same pickup you have. Some varieties put the cover over the pole screws and some didn't. Depends if they are 40s made or 50s made. Gibson or De'Armond made.

The P13 predates the P90. The P13 is from the mid 40s but used into the 60s..

Archived