Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

Izzy

I went to see a friend of mine who has the task of selling over 400 guitars. Some incredible things in his house. A 70s Gibson 12 string that sounds incredible and loads of strats and other odd models/makes and such.

I wanted a light weight toy guitar to noodle with, and the Japanese Norma I'd seen in his collection caught my eye as it reminded me of my old Teisco. He just handed it to me [biggrin]

Intonation is horrid and I'm looking at the bridge going, "maybe we change it out and if it intonates, it could be decent enough for practice."

What bridge would work best with this body? Tune-o-matic?

It was free so investing a little bit for seems okay to do.

RUa8H4c.jpg

rB7beSv.jpg

That Norma was my first guitar. I was like 10 and never learned how to play it. A kid left it in my dad's classroom and he brought it home at the end of the year. Same guitar - except I think mine had two gold foil pickups.

I'd say accurate intonation is unlikely, so jack up the action and play slide on it.

I'd say accurate intonation is unlikely, so jack up the action and play slide on it.

You crush my dreams :unsure:

But you're probably right. I'm still gonna take it to Neil to get his advice. He's probably gonna be all grumpy about it. "Damn it, you're gonna have to get heroic to get that thing half way decent." A squire would probably be better, but Norma is so light weight and small and old. awww

DSC_4620_1000.jpg

The Schaller 3D-6 Bridge is what I like to use on those old funky import guitars.

Thanks Searcy!

Will this one also help lower the action?

And what is your opinion on it ever having decent intonation?

Is that a realistic expectation?

@ Tim : will do! [thumbup]

Thanks Searcy!

Will this one also help lower the action?

And what is your opinion on it ever having decent intonation?

Is that a realistic expectation?

@ Tim : will do! [thumbup]

I like those bridges because they have some huge intonations adjustments. You can also adjust the string spacing. So long as you can lower your pickup height enough you should be able to get the action down.

I like those bridges because they have some huge intonations adjustments. You can also adjust the string spacing. So long as you can lower your pickup height enough you should be able to get the action down.

Heck yeah! I will order one, thanks.

I could use lower action for sure. I already moved the bridge down to get better intonation and it made a huge difference, though I did not screw it in as I'm planning on replacing it and don't wanna put too many holes in the thing.

That pup is weird, too. Lowered it on the bass side cause the sound was god-awful full on but I'm thinking about upgrading it too.

Just worried the size of the aperture for the pup is too odd to fit what's out there comfortably and snug. I don't own any P-90 guitars :huh:

a4V03RP.jpg

Archived