Gibson Brands Forums

Look Ma, no pick guard !

duluthdan

My 2009 J-45 TV. Not all that nice out today - maybe mid-fifties, and cloudy. Playing this J-45 out on one of my decks facing South, trying to put the finishing touches on a new song, Rocky Mountain Suicide, and I noticed my pick guard getting a little warm. I intentionally do not play a sunburst finish in direct sun because I experienced a sudden 4 inch crack in the top a few years ago. I would describe today's weather as a bit partly partly, with no real direct sun.

Any who... I slipped a finger nail under that pointy corner, and neatly peeled the whole pick guard off in about 3 seconds . No "spatula" no dental floss soaked in Naptha, just peeled it right off. Took a quick dash with Naptha at the very little residual glue. Except for a very slight wee edge imprint (which I think would come off with a bit of elbow grease) can hardly tell there was ever a guard on the guitar at all. I never use a pick, so this might not see another guard soon.

Maybe I'll try and steam-lift the orange label off next...

J%2045%20No%20Guard_zpsmrbhlx4l.jpg

Back that completely - and is a member of the club.

My 1953 haven't had its (non-original) guard on since the spring of 15.

45's are very beautiful creatures without them.

Have to say the guitar got a little freer - I'm 100 guards influence sound - how about you/yours ?

Look forward to hear about the steam-lifting.

The used 93 Lowden LSE1 I picked up the other week has no guard and I really like it - it lets the top 'breathe' a bit more, for lack of a better description.

The catch is that I generally plant my pinky finger on the guards while fingerpicking and the guards dampen my pinky tapping as I play. I have noticed the tapping getting amplified a bit on the non guard top! Tap, tap tap tap. Weird but I don't care as the guitar sounds great....

BluesKing777.

I'm guessing the solar panel / pick guard warmed up the glue just right so you were able to peel it off without using the ice scraper you keep in your glove compartment up there.

I took the P/G off my LG1 10 or so years ago and it definitely improved the sound. Never looked back. It was one of those older, thicker ones.

The P/Gs on my others are thinner, prettier and staying.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a great looking sunburst! My J-35 came without a pickguard and I have thought and thought about putting one on. I'm seriously leaning toward leaving it off. The sound is great and it seems like there are miles and miles of spruce lying there.

Archived