Gibson Brands Forums

Epi DR100

Dennis G

So I bought an Epi DR100 a couple of years ago, figuring I needed a "beater" guitar. Well, this thing is just amazing for the price. Question is this: I'm thinking of going to bone bridge pins, nut, and saddle. Will it/they make much of a difference? Any input appreciated. BTW, I'm using the same strings I do on all my acoustics - D'Addario EXP 80/20 12's. Also, resale is not an issue here, just personal preference.

So I bought an Epi DR100 a couple of years ago, figuring I needed a "beater" guitar. Well, this thing is just amazing for the price....

I was searching for the specs and noticed... $119 brand new! That is pretty amazing.

Question is this: I'm thinking of going to bone bridge pins, nut, and saddle. Will it/they make much of a difference?....

The specs didn't indicate what came stock on these. I guess we can assume hard plastic. I'd start with the saddle. If there's going to be a difference, that will have the most. I'd kind of hesitate to put more into it than it cost new!, but maybe that's just me. msp_unsure.gifmsp_smile.gif

I was searching for the specs and noticed... $119 brand new! That is pretty amazing.

The specs didn't indicate what came stock on these. I guess we can assume hard plastic. I'd start with the saddle. If there's going to be a difference, that will have the most. I'd kind of hesitate to put more into it than it cost new!, but maybe that's just me. msp_unsure.gifmsp_smile.gif

It can get to be insane. A while back, I picked up a 'beater' all-lam

Epi EJ-200 Artist for cheap and then spent mega-time finding a case that cost less than the guitar!

It can get to be insane. A while back, I picked up a 'beater' all-lam

Epi EJ-200 Artist for cheap and then spent mega-time finding a case that cost less than the guitar!

Awhile back, for some reason I picked up a beater all lam Alvarez RD-something for 100 bucks. That was with a hardshell case! msp_flapper.gif

alv500.jpg

Yeah, call me stupid but...

I only spent $100 US on this guitar new

I did spend $50 US to get a HSC for it LOL

If I'm gonna upgrade, I'm not competent enough to do a nut so I'll have my luthier do all 3 things at once (Bridge, nut, bridge pins) plus a good setup when changes are made.

It's probably not gonna happen for a few weeks, so when all is done I'll post an "imnpression" of cost/worth if you get my drift.

While this is my "beater" guitar, I see no reason why it shouldn't be playable to my specs/standards, no? And it's not like I don't own other acoustics, this is just my "okay to leave the house, and who cares what happens" guitar.

If I'm gonna upgrade, I'm not competent enough to do a nut so I'll have my luthier do all 3 things at once (Bridge, nut, bridge pins) plus a good setup when changes are made.

It's probably not gonna happen for a few weeks, so when all is done I'll post an "imnpression" of cost/worth if you get my drift.

While this is my "beater" guitar, I see no reason why it shouldn't be playable to my specs/standards, no? And it's not like I don't own other acoustics, this is just my "okay to leave the house, and who cares what happens" guitar.

Beater or not, you should enjoy playing it and specs and standards are an important part of that😎

• 2 weeks later...

The law of diminishing returns may be in effect here. Spending $50 on a $100 guitar will not make it sound 150% better. I have a Tito's promotion DR 100 and I agree for the money it's sweet. Hey it's your money...if it makes you happy spend the money...but I'm not sure it's a good investment.

The law of diminishing returns may be in effect here. Spending $50 on a $100 guitar will not make it sound 150% better. I have a Tito's promotion DR 100 and I agree for the money it's sweet. Hey it's your money...if it makes you happy spend the money...but I'm not sure it's a good investment.

The investment question is interesting from a couple of angles, as it so often seems to be. If you plan to flip the guitar, there's really no question - bad idea for obvious reasons. If you intend to keep and play it, that's another matter, especially when the consideration is essentially making yourself more comfortable with the instrument. Simply put, it's likely to get played more if it makes you happy - and less likely to be played at all if it doesn't. A person who gets a better feeling from the unspent 50 bucks while playing a guitar that doesn't quite suit him would go one direction, while someone who feels the other way - well, you know.... 😐

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I know it's been a bit, but like I said before, this is NOT a priority with me. After researching the cost/reward issue, reading various reviews, and considering that I also own a Masterbilt AJ500M with a bone nut and saddle, I've decided to leave well enough alone. As previously noted, resale is not an issue, since I long ago vowed to never again sell another guitar, and if I want that "sweeter" sound, I'll just pick up the Masterbilt, and I still have a beater if needed.

Thanks for the update - I wasn't lyin' when I said I'd be interested☺ The bind to avoid is tweaking a beater to the point that it becomes a 'non beater', once all has been considered😐😒😊

Archived