Gibson Brands Forums

About my April Fools joke...

daveinspain

The thread in question has been nuked and I guess rightfully so. I just want everyone to know I made the post in fun. It was an April fools joke. The whole point of an April fools joke is to make it sound convincing enough that people fall for it despite the date being April 1st. So everyone who clicked on the link " read the full Associated Press story here" were fooled. What's the point you may ask... I don't know, it's just a tradition that I grew up with and thought was fun. Where did I get the story? I made it up. I used some text from actual events in the raids that happened at the time and mixed in some fictional facts that brought it up to date. Never ment for it to get political, although anything anyone says or does these days seems to end up there. So if anyone was offended or embarrassed by the thread all I have to say is... Got you!! [cursing]

Guest Farnsbarns

The thread in question has been nuked and I guess rightfully so. I just want everyone to know I made the post in fun. It was an April fools joke. The whole point of an April fools joke is to make it sound convincing enough that people fall for it despite the date being April 1st. So everyone who clicked on the link " read the full Associated Press story here" where fooled. What's the point you may ask... I don't know, it's just a tradition that I grew up with and thought was fun. Where did I get the story? I made it up. I used some text from actual events in the raids that happened at the time and mixed in some fictional facts that brought it up to date. Never ment for it to get political, although anything anyone says or does these days seems to end up there. So if anyone was offended or embarrassed by the thread all I have to say is... Got you!! [cursing]

I loved it. I think there must be some very pampered egos given the backlash you got for.successfully fooling people. I fell for it and still loved it. Well done!

Have a think on this. What you did was funny and I fell for it. But this is what we see each day in the media. Fake news.

We see things and argue over them while other important things are slipped in through the back door.

Have a think on this. What you did was funny and I fell for it. But this is what we see each day in the media. Fake news.

We see things and argue over them while other important things are slipped in through the back door.

A joke is different than fake news Sherlock. Dave told a joke just like ten thousand I've told. I have a sense of humor. Dave has a sense of humor. You don't. Anybody who's offended by a joke has more emotional baggage than a sense of humor. Like my tenth grade English teacher said, you don't get to insert your own tortured interpretation of something you read just so you can change the subject and make up an excuse to whine about something that's bothering you. Don't you have a wife or kids that you can lecture?

We're funny and you're not. Get over it.

Funny joke, almost got me. Very well done!!!

Its sad that we have folks here that have a chip on their shoulder and have to use this site to post their political rants. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are political sites that welcome these rants. I'm willing to bet that there are more of those than guitar sites.

It was 1 April. A well-executed joke appeared on the forum. Some of us fell for it, which makes it appropriately funny. We even got to hype our favorite brand(s) of TP. GO BEARS! All in great fun - no harm done - a gentle lesson in humility for those of us who took it seriously....

Your joke wasn't the problem - our falling for it wasn't the problem....

Some of us tried to suggest avoiding the problem, but to no avail....

Too bad the thread had to perish to silence the rant. Collateral damage?

That was nuked???

Weird... I didn't fall for it as such since the first thing I thought when I saw it was NO WAY... So I clicked on the link first... But then it was quite amusing seeing everyone take it seriously :)

So I don't think anything was wrong with it either.

Its better than the same Gibson to buy Fender story that I used the last couple of years ;)

I commented early on in the original that in my opinion it was in bad judgement because there is traffic on this site that may not take the time to open the link or investigate further to realize it was an April fools joke. Consider that I work for a major US manufacturer. Negative news is never good. My point was meant to say why chance creating negative consumer feelings about a company that we respect? In addition, we have a new administration that is all about bringing manufacturing back to the US, which has lost so much ground to outsourcing and unfair trade agreements. I feel it was a poor choice and unfair for both Gibson and the current administration because it could be damaging. I did not mention the "P" word, but believe comments about it may have built from there.

So be it. Others agreed and I stand by my opinion. No harm, as I took no offense...just offered my thoughts at the time.

Best not allude to the 'new administration' - thus does the disappearance of otherwise positive threads begin - I'm not concerned w/your P-litical leanings, but they don't belong here any more than mine or the next person's.

Archived