Gibson Brands Forums

"Becalmed"

BluesKing777

I really like it, BK, but I think the Lowden is taking over your soul, slowly leading you into the world of "thingie" music.

The guitar seems to come into its own played this way.

Next piece, "Sunrise at Mooloolaba".......

Do ya think I need to 'go about'..yuk yuk, more nautical lingo?

It is not officially "thingy music" until I start smacking it, eh?

The track is played on my S35, which is the same size as my L-0, and going by forum threadage around the place, the S (small) is not the fave for thingy music. I keep reading how the original Celtic music model was, and still is, the large jumbo sized O25 or O22 (Cedar/Rosewood and Cedar/Mahogany).......which I have never seen let alone tried. They have a more upscale O35 rosewood at a music shop near me for a cool $7,995 on sale, it says in the ad. [smile]

But I did see an old busted up and split O25C (cutaway) for about 1500 bucks - the top would look good next to my old L-0...........did I tell you my car is moving on to the grass to leave the garage free for guitar storage? Maybe me as well.... [blink]

BluesKing777.

Careful how you look at a cedar top or a mark appears

Yep, I've got a cedar/rosewood classical, and you don't go thumping a cedar top unless you've got a golpeador on it. Halfway tempted to put some silk 'n steels on it, but the wide, flat fingerboard might be a challenge.

Yes, it is Cedar on the S35 Tasmanian Blackwood back guitar in the recording above. Made for bare fingers!

Rosewood/Cedar would be nice enough, sensational probably, but just seems a bit boring when all guitars have it and Mr Lowden is kindly making many other types of ice cream!

After playing my Cargill - African Ebony/Italian Spruce, I was reading stuff here and there and came across S50 and F50 top of the line Lowden with African Blackwood and Sinker Redwood top for the same price as a couple of cars..... That is what got my first Ahah moment.

But there is way more to them that that, because my other Lowden is Mahogany/Sitka and fabulous.

BluesKing777.

Was an O22 I had.

Cedar mahogany ... lowdens sound like lowdens no matter what they're made from !

Was a lovely guitar , as is yours .

Careful how you look at a cedar top or a mark appears

It is a wonder you don't have a roomful of Lowdens with them so close.....

BluesKing777.

Yeah , cos they're only 2 or 3 hundred quid because they're just round the corner

If they are that cheap, how do you even decide which one you want? :rolleyes:

Both mine are from 1993, which is not a real shining part of the Lowden history, but the guitars are just superb, hand made, tap tuned, and extremely responsive instruments. The word is the brand new ones are in another league. I suppose I should drive in to the city and try one...but the guitar fund is currently...zip, so mentally we may get...'conflicted' :mellow:

Either way, the used ones I picked up are gems.

BluesKing777.

Good title for this song, BK. You play that guitar very well.......Nice soothing tune. I can imagine being on a sailboat or even just sitting on the shore of a quiet lake......Very relaxing song for 10:30pm (here in Missouri)......Keep the songs coming. [thumbup]

Lowden 023 Acoustic Guitar

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-023-acoustic-guitar/1227951216?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Lowden O32c

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-o32c/1226229821?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

LOWDEN 010 WITH LR BAGGS I BEAM PICKUP

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-010-with-lr-baggs-i-beam-pickup/1225226490?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

You could emigrate ?

Leave your barbecue and sunglasses there

A lowden isn't hard to get a hold of at all here ... you can of course order one of go to an outlet

Sam Irwin runs a luthiery school at a college just outside Belfast , turn up when you want , pay as you go , walk away with a guitar at the end ... I'd seen it advertised , and of course have an interest in attending , never seem to have the time or the money to get the ball rolling ... anyway , I recently got a little Martin guitar , turns out the the guy selling it had been to the luthiery school got addicted slightly and has now 4 that he built .

Sam Irwin does the difficult stuff , then hands it back to you and tells you go sand that for three hours 😄😄

I thought the average guy would end up with a guitar that maybe hung on a wall , but , ya know they're pretty much imperfect lowdens . Look like lowdens , sound like lowdens .

The last one he 'made' was some crazy wood like your cargill , can't remember what his was but was beautiful wood .. think that one cost him about £1500 to put together . His time is free don't forget .

The fella who set up my j45 recently has also worked there as sams helper and as I told before , now makes his own brand of guitars

I never got to try his as he only had two preassembly pieces that were only beginning to look like guitars . He sells from a shop in Dublin and one in Germany at the minute

I asked him why all Irish guitars sounded so alike , considering wood is wood and steel is steel all over the world , he said the lacquering has an impact.

We're talking nuances here that , if you take a step back ,don't matter one little bit 😄Nerd territory

His idea was to make guitar that was somewhere middle ground between martins and the Irish airiness , or that the rainbow he's chasing anyway .

Still want a mcilroy though 😄

Good title for this song, BK. You play that guitar very well.......Nice soothing tune. I can imagine being on a sailboat or even just sitting on the shore of a quiet lake......Very relaxing song for 10:30pm (here in Missouri)......Keep the songs coming. [thumbup]

Thanks MP!

I was having a little nap and bang, I thought this little (song) boat had hit the rocks but it must have been a large creature come up for air.....

Still becalmed - want to go home, hungry, tired....

BluesKing777.

Lowden 023 Acoustic Guitar

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-023-acoustic-guitar/1227951216?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Lowden O32c

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-o32c/1226229821?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

LOWDEN 010 WITH LR BAGGS I BEAM PICKUP

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lowden-010-with-lr-baggs-i-beam-pickup/1225226490?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

You could emigrate ?

Leave your barbecue and sunglasses there

A lowden isn't hard to get a hold of at all here ... you can of course order one of go to an outlet

Sam Irwin runs a luthiery school at a college just outside Belfast , turn up when you want , pay as you go , walk away with a guitar at the end ... I'd seen it advertised , and of course have an interest in attending , never seem to have the time or the money to get the ball rolling ... anyway , I recently got a little Martin guitar , turns out the the guy selling it had been to the luthiery school got addicted slightly and has now 4 that he built .

Sam Irwin does the difficult stuff , then hands it back to you and tells you go sand that for three hours ����

I thought the average guy would end up with a guitar that maybe hung on a wall , but , ya know they're pretty much imperfect lowdens . Look like lowdens , sound like lowdens .

The last one he 'made' was some crazy wood like your cargill , can't remember what his was but was beautiful wood .. think that one cost him about £1500 to put together . His time is free don't forget .

The fella who set up my j45 recently has also worked there as sams helper and as I told before , now makes his own brand of guitars

I never got to try his as he only had two preassembly pieces that were only beginning to look like guitars . He sells from a shop in Dublin and one in Germany at the minute

I asked him why all Irish guitars sounded so alike , considering wood is wood and steel is steel all over the world , he said the lacquering has an impact.

We're talking nuances here that , if you take a step back ,don't matter one little bit ��Nerd territory

His idea was to make guitar that was somewhere middle ground between martins and the Irish airiness , or that the rainbow he's chasing anyway .

Still want a mcilroy though ��

Emigrate, leave the sunnies and the Q, for a guitar? I got guitars I haven't played yet.... <_<

Though I am a bit keen on that first one you listed - O23 walnut/cedar, though a place I lived once had a walnut tree and probably never want to eat another...

Cargill does the guitar making courses too, but I am better at playing the things than endless...sanding, like you said. [biggrin] I said I would 'fix' this black side table + sanding and sanding in the garage and slapped some black paint on and ...really needed to do the sanding some more and more coats of paint....right here next to me as I speak and it didn't matter because drinks have eaten the paint away in one spot.... [biggrin]

Though it does seem rather silly having all those Lowdens around you and you not liking them and wanting an expensive American one! Cultural Cringe? I am the same, though, I don't want any Maton or Cole Clarke things, though I am sure if I played the nice ones....well. Because they are made locally, they are sitting around everywhere in all kinds of conditions, probably the same where you are for L's, Mc's Av's. A friend had a brand new Maton dread and it sounded nice enough, better in an open tuning like DADGAD really, but I couldn't put my finger (s) on a particular sound that stood out. And my Cargill is heavily Lowden influenced with the bracing and other things....

But all that said, I DID play my little 1944 Martin 0-17 all mahogany earlier for a bit of 'earth' instead of 'air'.

BluesKing777. Not sunk yet.

Archived