Gibson Brands Forums

Bruce Zinky Amps

Californiaman

So I have a chance to buy a Bruce Zinky Supro amplifier from the turn of the century (get it? That's early 2000).

It's a Supro Tremelectric and numbered "Proto 4." It's 50 watts and has three 10" eminence speakers.

Anybody have any experience with Zinky?

1491446279[/url]' post='1847435']

So I have a chance to buy a Bruce Zinky Supro amplifier from the turn of the century (get it? That's early 2000).

It's a Supro Tremelectric and numbered "Proto 4." It's 50 watts and has three 10" eminence speakers.

msp_scared.gif

Yes. Yes I do. Is that amp you're referring to all white? [drool]

I own a Zinky 50 watt Blue Velvet (black tolex model) and also the Supro Thunderbolt reissue. I have talked with Bruce many many times over many years. The guy was the designer of a number of stunningly good amps in the Fender Custom Shop & branched into doing his own amps after he left there. He's a master of amp design and building and he's the one who initially procured the Supro name and reintroduced the Supro line of reissue amps. He is pure class & a brilliant and wonderfully nice guy. Anything he's built is superb & I have never had a problem with any of his gear. If that "proto" you're looking at is the one I think it is - GRAB IT!!!!

I bought a Supro Royal Reverb amp when they first came out and I really like the amp and have had no problems with it. My only complaint is Supro did not include a footswitch with the amp. Truth be told when I bought the amp, Supro had not yet manufactured a footswitch for it. I believe Supro does not include the footswitch with the amp. It's a very versatile amp. The cost and weight is right up there with the Fender Twin Reverb. I also own a Twin. When I have my monthly jam night I use the Supro and a Deluxe reverb together. IMO, it's a fantastic blended sound. I would not hesitate to buy another Supro amp. So it boils down to personal preference.

Archived