Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Gibson Explorer

Fat Tony

Hi guys. I don't know much about guitars. I inherited a few guitars from a relative. I have been trying to find information but I have this Gibson explorer and I can't seem to find another one like it.

It has Seymour Duncan pickups which I have seen on others but it also has a Gibson tremolo and vibrato tailpiece which I have not been able to find another one online, also on the back of the head by the serial number is a portrait of Orville Gibson and the serial number is painted on? Again, I have not seen another guitar with that portrait or painted serial number like that.

Was this a special edition or were these things added aftermarket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

post-84858-034840600 1491512188_thumb.jpg

post-84858-092077600 1491512196_thumb.jpg

post-84858-018118700 1491512216_thumb.jpg

post-84858-031304300 1491512374_thumb.jpg

This was a gothic gibson explorer that has been custom painted white and an old maestro style tremelo added. It is not stock although it is pretty sweet looking to me. The original tail piece stud holes have been filled and the tremelo added. The picture you have showing the 12th fret has a specific inlay that was for the specific gothic series gibson once produced. The fret marker dots on the front of your explorer may be stickers. The gothic series did not have fret markers. The year of your gibson explorer is 2001. So if you go to google and do a search for 2001 gibson gothic explorer and click images, you will see it in the original form and can probably read some about it too. Good luck and I think it is cool looking by the way!!

The fret marker dots on the front of your explorer may be stickers. The gothic series did not have fret markers.

Based on how uneven they appear, I'd wager you're correct.

That's a pretty slick refinish and re-imagining of a Gothic Explorer! I agree that the dot markers aren't original and (hopefully/maybe) are just stickers. The star & moon center inlay at the 12th fret is the only original inlay on the Gothic model.

Thanks for the great info. As far as the dots, they don't appear to be stickers. What would something like this be worth? I have no use for it and would like to just sell it.

I am trying to upload more photos but it won't let me?

The value of highly customized, especially unique, non-original is highly subjective. It just depends on how many or who wants to buy it and how much they are willing to pay. I don't think you could place a value on this as what it was originally. You'll just have to put a stake in the ground by setting what you think you can get for it and go from there. It's an interesting guitar. Good luck!

Archived