Gibson Brands Forums

VERY early EL-00

Jinder

Hi all,

I own one of the very first EL-00 models, which is shaped like a Gibson L-1 and not like an L-00 at all.

It's got a narrow D profile neck but is surprisingly playable now I've set it up properly. I've had it a couple of years, paid £140 for it with fitted Epi hard case and a Fishman Rare Earth 'bucker installed.

I love this little guitar, it'd been played heavily before I owned it and is amazingly open and resonant. Loads of character and will do honky blues and feathery fingerstyle beautifully depending on right hand technique, and copes excellently with light strumming too. I like to use it for flyaway gigs when I don't want to trust airline staff with my Gibsons, but I'm so attached to it I find myself worrying just as much!!

Anyway, I digress...why did Epi change the body shape after the first run, and do away with the L-1 shape in favour of the L-00 body?

Any info would be really interesting!

Interesting. I was under the impression that the EL-00 and EL-00 Pro (the later and current version) had the identical body with the only differences being the EL-00 Pro had a slightly wider fretboard and electronics in it whereas the original EL-00 had a less wider fretboard and no electronics. Unless, my impression was incorrect? But, that is my recollection from playing both as well as reading about the differences when the EL-00 Pro replaced the EL-00. Unless there was perhaps once an earlier EL-00. Anything you or others can share is of interest.

BTW, the EL-00 and EL-00 Pros I've played (I own an EL-00 Pro) are awesome little guitars.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Yes, the earlier shape is noticeably different, but I've never come across any info as to Gibson's rationale on the change.

Mine is a 2013 from Indonesia, and tonally it's far better than what such an inexpensive guitar has any right to be!

I am still baffled. I just did an Internet and an eBay search and the photos and descriptions of the bodies of the EL-00 and the EL-00 Pro are identical in them except for the wider neck/C shape vs D shape and the electronics. More info is requested to clarify the bodies being different between the two. I am curious to learn (because if they are different as I like my EL-00 Pro so much that if there is another substantially different EL-00 I might be interested in adding one to my collection.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I am still baffled. I just did an Internet and an eBay search and the photos and descriptions of the bodies of the EL-00 and the EL-00 Pro are identical in them except for the wider neck/C shape vs D shape and the electronics. More info is requested to clarify the bodies being different between the two. I am curious to learn (because if they are different as I like my EL-00 Pro so much that if there is another substantially different EL-00 I might be interested in adding one to my collection.)

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Did you check the wiki? This might shed some light.

• 3 weeks later...

I really love this little guitar. Thanks for the thoughts on the different versions! The one I own sounds quite different to the EL-00 and EL-00 Pros that I've played, it's a little softer in attack transient and a little more "plummy" sounding. Not quite as bluesy and barky as the later EL-00, much more similar in character to Gibson L1s I've played. Considering it basically owes me nothing, I can't see myself ever parting with it, it's a gem!

Archived