Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Gibson SG Standard T Ebony "The BEST SG Build"?

David P. Makowski

I have been playing Gibson Guitars since 1979. I have owned several Gibson Les Paul's and several Gibson SG's. I was fortunate enough to obtain a "brand new" 2016 Gibson SG Standard T Ebony. To me this is the ultimate SG. Why? First off it has the 490R &498T Alnico Humbuckers. It also has a one piece mahogany body and neck with an extra thick dark rosewood fretboard. Mine weighs a mere 6lbs. and 10ozs. Which means it is super light weight. It has everything I love in an SG. Vintage Kluson Tuners, Nashville Tune-O-Matic Bridge, large pickguard, and low action. Additionally my SG has so much resonance that I can feel the vibration through my guitar strap against my shoulder and neck. It has sustain for days. The Ebony finish is flawless plus it's Nitro not urethane. Thank you Gibson for putting out the 2016 SG. It's what I have been waiting for.

As cool as the new SGs look, I have to say the best build from the standard production, at least in my opinion, were SG Originals, Derek Trucks, and 61 Les Paul Tribute. I think Charlie will agree with me on this. Neck joint is right on the 22 fret, meaning totally unfettered access to the very last fret. The horn beveling and deep scarf is something I can't get over. Tone Pros tuners, vibrato tail piece, and 57 Classics really made it as close to a custom shop reissue as you can get from the standard line.

As I said, nothing wrong with the new SGs. They're all still very good guitars, but if you're asking for my opinion on the "the best SG build", I'd say what I said. Enjoy your guitar though. A good SG's a good SG, regardless of historical accuracy or whatnot.

Glad you are pleased with your new SG. They are very nice, but as mentioned earlier I too think the best SG of recent times was the 2013 SG Original (and version 2 the following year) and I would also add the 2013 Kirk Douglas SG. I was lucky to get a Kirk Douglas back in 2013, but sadly missed out on the Original. I still get teary eyed when I see CB's beautiful SG Original. If only I had the cash at the time [crying]

Dear Gibson, PLEASE release another run of SG Originals so I can get one.

The Derek Trucks and '61's are sweet too, but I'm a huge Lyre fan so prefer models with them. Having said that my other SG's are 2 Standards from about 4-5 years ago (one is the 60 open coil tap version) and a 2016 worn brown Special. None of these have the correct bevels that the Original had. Fantastic guitars, just not quite true to 60's spec.

I concur, that (for me, anyway) the "Best" year (recently) for non-Custom Shop, Gibson USA SG's was Late 2012, and 2013!

The SG "Original," Kirk Douglass SG Custom, '61 SG Tribute, and even the '61 "Satin Finish" SG Standard were ALL excellent

versions, and with '61 era correct bevels, and horn tapering!

I went SG "Crazy" after not owning any, for 40 years (since my late teens/early twenties). The first one I got, was my

'61 Satin Finish SG Standard! Loved it, so much, that when the other 3 (mentioned) came out, I "Had" to get them,

as well. LOL But, 4 guitars, much less 4 Gibson's, in one year, I had never done, previously. Probably won't, again,

either. Still, there is NO "buyer's remorse," in any way, concerning those 4 SG's, I can assure you!

CB

Archived