Gibson Brands Forums

Spacey delay recommendations

surfpup

So I"m looking for something to do a spacey delay for psych jam kinda project. I need something that goes deep and I'd like to to have a footswitch to send it into oscillation. This one - the BOSS RE-20 seems to fit the bill.

I'm wondering if any one of you has hands on experience with the RE-20 or something similar as an alternative.

At this point the other contenders are the Mr. Black Supermoon, EarthQuaker Devices Dispatch Master Delay & Reverb, Subdecay Echobox, and the Alexander Pedals Sky Fi. I'm open to other suggestions of course.

The RE-20 is a super good choice. I love all Boss delay pedals, but that one should be great for you

I can't remember if you already have an El Capistan or not?

I can show you how to mod just about any pedal to have that feedback switch. I also figured out a simple way to control the feedback swell time if you wanna get fancy.

I tend to like just about any delay for psych jammin. You can use digital or tape or analog if it fits your style. If I'm not just screwing around at home I tend to gravitate towards my Maxon AD-9 Pro, if you turn all the knobs pretty much all the way up, it sounds super spacey and intense, and it has a pretty long max delay time for an analog delay. The way it rides on the brink of runaway feedback is really dynamic

I kinda like them all. I'm not too much help really, but you'll definitely be set with the RE-20

I can't remember if you already have an El Capistan or not?

Well, I did. I sold it (ironically to the guy I've been kicking this psych thing around with). I wanted to get the Strymon Deco which fits better with my twangy band, whatSHEsaid. I shoulda kept the El Cap though.

However, on the bright side, since my Marshalls don't have reverb, one of these spacey echo/reverb compos should solve that problem as well.

Or I can just use the cheap delay I'm using with my Deluxe Reverb.

Hashtag... 1st world problems! [biggrin]

Strymon stuff is Great! But, very pricey! For me (and, I only speak for me), it comes down to how much

I would actually use something, in comparison, to the amount of money one CAN spend. If the Boss does

everything you want/need, at a decent price point, that would be the way to go...IMHO. As most of us know,

you CAN spend as much as you want, on any kind of pedal. But, how much better, they really are, is often

questionable. Again, IMHO.

CB

Update... I went ahead and ordered the RE-20 from Sweetwater. It really seems to do exactly what I want, so next week I'll be knob twiddlin' it to see if it fits the bill.

Thought this Sweetwater demo was pretty cool, btw...

Archived