Gibson Brands Forums

Question about DI boxes

jaxson50

i need some advice on DI boxes..I have a acoustic amp that has two channels, one clean on with effects, bot channels has two 1/4" inputs and one xlr input.

I know Ian run an acoustic into a DI box and use the XLR input, but why not run a 1/4" from a hollow body into the DI then into the XLR to get a balanced signal?

Which would be the best DI for this application ?

If you run the guitar to the DI and the DI to the amp, I believe it acts as a preamp. I use the Sansamp or a Focusrite Saffire 6, but I don't think they make the Focusrite anymore. Buy a used one on CL or eBay for less than $100. The Sansamps are usually more than $100.

Let me know what you end up with.

Good question.....[thumbup]

Everything of this nature would IMO be trial and error...

Acoustic amps are designed to give a 'better' frequency response than a typical Marshall/Fender etc amp for electric....

XLR inputs do seem to spring to life in practice....as plugging in to a PA via a DI box proves....[thumbup]

I have used ultra cheap Behringer DI boxes....passive and active....with good results.....

V

:-({|=

In this instance....the XLR is there to input a mic.....

I have a LR Baggs Para DI that I'll use to run a guitar straight into a PA. If I'm using my acoustic amp I don't use the DI box. But you certainly can use it and then run the XLR output into your amp. That will work. [thumbup]

The Para DI is fine. There are newer models from various makers. My buddy has a Tech 21 Sans Amp and it's a little fancier. [thumbup]

... I believe it acts as a preamp.

A DI box, by technical definition IS NOT a preamp. It simply converts the 1/4" input "unbalanced" high-impedence signal to a "balanced" low-impedence signal. This may give the impression of signal boost, but is is not the real function. The reason low-impedence balanced line signals are used for PA's and recorders, is that they are quieter and "cleaner".

There is really no reason to convert the signal (through a DI) to plug in a guitar to an amp at your feet.

The reason there are 1/4" and XLR inputs on an acoustic amp is the plug in your guitar in the 1/4" channel, and a microphone into the XLR channel.

Now a word about DI's: Passive DI's (no battery or phantom power) should really only be used for emergencies, they are nothing more than tranformers. To properly convert a 1/4" signal to XLR, while maintaining signal strength and integrity, it takes voltage. An "active" DI, one that requires batteries or phantom power, is the only "real" DI.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it's much appreciated!

msp_thumbup.gif

I thought about this after seeing some Ibanez acoustic guitars with both 1/4" and XLR out jacks. I though about running a 1/4" line into a DI box, then run one XLR into the acoustic amp and the 1/4" out into a regular amp...

A DI box, by technical definition IS NOT a preamp.

Perhaps I should have been more specific:

The SansAmp Bass Driver is a preamp/EQ pedal with basic BASS and TREBLE controls that can boost or cut the respective frequency bands. Finally, it’s also a powerful DI device with phantom and ground connect functionality that allows you to send a line signal from the XLR output to the FOH engineer.

http://www.bass-pedals.com/tech-21-sansamp-bass-driver-di-review/

Archived