Gibson Brands Forums

Once a year...

AndyK

About once a year, I buy a guitar mag. They're not expensive, but I think due to my childhood, I still view magazines as a luxury. What sold this one to me? Well, blues rock, 50 amazing blues rock licks, do these exercises to make you a better player... yeah, let's do this!

Behavioural pattern: flick through the mag. Never heard of that guitar. Never heard of that amp. Never heard of that guitarist. Never heard of that band. Ooh, a small picture of a Les Paul. Cover says "how to reduce noise from your Strat". I say (out loud) "play a Les Paul!" Try a couple of exercises. This is SO boring!

Throw mag in the bin. :rolleyes: Anyone else like this? [biggrin]

I stopped buying, or subscribing to, any magazines, decades ago. Too many advertisements, too little "content," etc.

And, what "content" there was, tended to be a bit boring or too "dogmatic," for me. More fun to experiment, and draw

my own conclusions. But, that's just Me! [biggrin]

CB

Why does anyone buy a mag or newspaper any more when all the info is available online for free and weeks or months earlier too. Here in the UK, we have papers like the Sun, Mirror etc. Everything in them is a day old. I have my breakfast watching BBC or RT news and then all of my news is online. When you look at kids/ gaming mags you have a sharp intake of breath at the prices!

I get Guitar Player and Vintage Guitar every month. Gotta admit they tend to stack up until I have a fest of flipping through a bunch of them.

I can't learn from tab - seems to be a learning disability for me. I can see the lick, but without timing or phrasing or feel it's pretty useless to me. I need to hear it.

I do enjoy reading about people's gear and recording strategies. But overall I wouldn't say they really help me as a player.

When I was a teenager I would read and re-read as many guitar mags as I could as often as I could. Then I stopped in my early twenties. Now it's almost 30 years later and I subscribed to Premier Guitar a couple of years ago because I like gear mostly. The truth is, I flip through an issue once maybe twice, read one or two articles and then they pile up until my better half complains. I do most of my reading online anyway but I still fell like I keep in touch with new gear by flipping through glossy paper once a month (and by reading about 10% of the ridiculous number of guitar-related sales and marketing emails I constantly receive because I signed up for everything).

msp_unsure.gif

I still have 10 yrs of Guitar Player mags (10 x 12 issues) in the cupboard under the stairs...sold all my 'Guitarist' about 10 yrs ago.

These days I might flick through in the newsagents but they're far too expensive to buy. GP online is good.

I usually travel to England in November, get to my hotel and wander down the street and buy Guitarist (which I can buy here anyway at the local newsagents if I wanted to) thinking 'that's something I can read if I'm bored in the evenings' - then never open it until I'm on the plane home, skim through the gear sections and any articles of interest, put it next to my bed at home thinking 'that's something I can read if I'm bored in the evenings', then after it collects sufficient dust I throw it in the recycle bin around March...and repeat the process again come November.

I subscribe to Guitar Afcienado, not that that is any reflection of my abilities but I like the magazine. The focus is mainly about guitars but also every month has articles on watches and wines and boubons etc and music in general. I will also lookinto the newstand to see what articles are in the usual suspects like Guitar world and Acoustic Guitar and if one looks really good then I may buy it.

I've read about 4 guitar mags in my life. Usually because of articles. The last one was on Rory Gallagher; pretty in depth as I recall.

Tab? cant be bothered any more. I used to know the tab that came with Stefan Grossman albums, but that was about it.

I only take one mag these days, a subscription to 'Which?' I also have their phone app. They still haven't gotten around to guitar best buys yet.

I only take one mag these days, a subscription to 'Which?' I also have their phone app. They still haven't gotten around to guitar best buys yet.

I used to have Which, but I found it very middle class. It's goods were always the most expensive on the market. Way out of reach for normal people. The TVs were always Sony and washing machines, Zanussi. I'm all online now.

For the same reason I have a steam locomotive as my avatar. I still get a postage stamp excuse for a daily newspaper, Vintage and Acoustic guitar mags and maintain a land line telephone. I hate computers almost as much as I hate cell phones, " the eye(s) of the devil", whomever he or she might be. Granted, one can't exist without the machine today. angry.gif But, I don't have to like it. Still, I will always prefer to hold what I'm reading in my hand in the form of a thing called, a book. No, I'm not gonna go lay down either, and I'm not upset. You can't make me and ......................

* the patient has been sedated and returned to his room. rolleyes.gif

I stopped buying, or subscribing to, any magazines, decades ago.

Not quite the same time frame (maybe 6-7 years now) but I quit subscriptions to the 2-3 automotive/racing mag's I subscribed to as well as any guitar stuff. Like CB said, they're nothing more than advertising outlets, and as also stated, you can get anything you want on the internet. My house cleaners come every two weeks, and I spend an hour or so in Barnes & Noble skimming anything I need to see. The only one I'll buy on occasion is "Guitar Techniques" and that's only if there's something I'm interested in!

I used to get Guitar Player and Guitar For The Practicing Musician back in the early to mid-80's. I probably haven't bought any for 20+ years nor have I even looked at them. Internet is my typical choice because my computer, guitars and amps are all in the same room. I do buy the occasional book, just because I grew up with songbooks and I like them. My bookshelves are creaking with them and random sheet music, handwritten music, etc.

That being said, what are the "good ones" these days? I'm in the US and mostly play electric guitar and play rock, metal, blues, etc. When I play acoustic, it's typically classical.

I still get Guitar World and Vintage Guitar, too cheap to pass up, $1 per magazine? I'll take it.

I read them mostly when I fly, I do not have to worry if there will be WiFi on the plane or pay for it. I save my phone battery and do not have to worry about recharging. I also find it more pleasant than looking on a small screen. Then when I fly to see my family I give the magazines to my brother in law.

We are heading to the beach in one month for one week and I am piling them up right now.

This time I flew I also bought the Sunburst book by Tony Bacon and enjoyed that on my way back home.

I still get Guitar World and Vintage Guitar, too cheap to pass up, $1 per magazine? I'll take it.

I read them mostly when I fly, I do not have to worry if there will be WiFi on the plane or pay for it. I save my phone battery and do not have to worry about recharging. I also find it more pleasant than looking on a small screen. Then when I fly to see my family I give the magazines to my brother in law.

We are heading to the beach in one month for one week and I am piling them up right now.

This time I flew I also bought the Sunburst book by Tony Bacon and enjoyed that on my way back home.

I keep a few in the trusty Fender briefcase when I travel for werk. Which I hate doing.

rct

Archived