Gibson Brands Forums

Flying Scotsman

IanHenry

Guest Farnsbarns

I was in East Grinstead today and saw that it's coming to the Bluebell railway. Might take the opportunity myself.

Magnificent. Power and presence.

I was in East Grinstead today and saw that it's coming to the Bluebell railway. Might take the opportunity myself.

Think that's near me - any details?

I am 'green' with envy.....dry.gif

What a superb, evocative clip capturing the essence of steam.....[thumbup]

Personal favourites are the North York Moors and the Welsh Highland Railways

And the Fort William to Mallaig Railway isn't too bad either....[biggrin]

V

:-({|=

PS Not forgetting the Vale of Rheidol Railway.....

I just put my station master's cap on and blew my whistle....:blink:

Guest Farnsbarns

Magnificent. Power and presence.

Think that's near me - any details?

If i remember rightly you're Dorking way? I was just at the Sainsbury's next to the station and saw a sign saying it was coming next week.

I think you'll have to book early, all the seats on the Keighley and Worth Valley railway sold out very quickly.

Ian

The Strathspey Railway in Scotland is very good, no crowds and riding with the Cairngorms as a backdrop, great stuff:

https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/

Also during Summer every Wednesday you can ride a steam train along the Seattle to Carlisle line, but it gets booked up very early. It just so happens that my favourite Gibson dealer is in Carlisle and my Wife and I have got a reservation for it in August. The possibilities are endless O:)

Ian

If i remember rightly you're Dorking way?

Further West, Surrey/Hants border.

.....the Watercress Line Mid Hants.

That's the one near me. Sorry my mistake.

Where is the Bluebell line?

Nice footage of a magnificent Beast, Ian! Very evocative of a bygone age.

The line from Lakeside to Haverthwaite in the Lake District is well worth a trip for those that way inclined. It's possible to buy a ticket which includes a sail in a steam ferry up Lake Windermere, too. We did it last August and it was delightful.

http://www.lakesiderailway.co.uk/

...every Wednesday you can ride a steam train along the Seattle to Carlisle line, but it gets booked up very early...

Perhaps it's full of all our friends from Washington State coming to the UK for a visit?...

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Love steam locomotives. When I worked at the Union Pacific they brought in the Big Boy. The largest steam engine in the U.S. All of us at the Omaha shops got to take our family for a ride free. It was amazing. Then while I was still there, they planned on retiring it and I got to watch as they stripped it down and repainted the locomotive and tender car. Now it sits at the bridge between Omaha Nebraska and Council Bluffs Iowa. But I've had the pleasure to ride on several other steam locomotives. Union Pacific even built the one for Omaha's Henry Dorly Zoo.

Guest Farnsbarns

The Strathspey Railway in Scotland is very good, no crowds and riding with the Cairngorms as a backdrop, great stuff:

https://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/

Also during Summer every Wednesday you can ride a steam train along the Seattle to Carlisle line, but it gets booked up very early. It just so happens that my favourite Gibson dealer is in Carlisle and my Wife and I have got a reservation for it in August. The possibilities are endless O:)

Ian

I've done the Settle to Carlisle route as a young man. Enjoyed it no end.

Archived