Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood No More: Fender

Rabs

Wow wasn't expecting this... DAMN!!

https://www.reidys.com/blog/rosewood-no-more-fender-cites-1901/

Over the last few months there has been a lot of discussion over what role rosewood has in the future of guitar manufacturing. Recent CITES regulations have come into force that place rosewood under stricter control - so much so that this morning in an announcement to the trade, Fender have announced that they will no longer be using rosewood for their fingerboards. *cue gasps*

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Gibson went through this 'no rosewood' thing a few years ago . . . they found alternatives that work just fine.

Granadillo comes to mind.

I think granadillo is included in the CITES changes.

These guitars will probably shoot up in value too (but then it IS a very cool guitar)

Had to laugh when I saw this because my first thought was "George Harrison's rosewood Tele just went up in value" LOL.

The fretboard on my Tele is rosewood.

I was going to buy a Jazz bass with a rosewood fretboard in May, but I heard about Fender's move away from rosewood a couple of months ago, so in the week before last I went ahead and placed my order. It came in a couple of days ago.

I hate maple fretboards.

Really? Ivory?

I was being glib, funny, jerk-like, and sarcastic.

The reality is that we all live, we die, and then most of us go off to dust.

I really wish that, when I pass away, I could find a way to make my bones and gristle become something truly useful.

[mellow]

I really wish that, when I pass away, I could find a way to make my bones and gristle become something truly useful.

Have someone feed your body to the wolves...I can only hope someone would do the same for my bones and gristle. I'd say to feed me to the sharks, but here in California there's probably a tax on it or its forbidden or someone might protest that the sharks were being abused or...

Wait, wasn't this post about the demise of Fender rosewood???

Archived