Gibson Guitar Board: basic finish care - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

basic finish care

#21 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

View PostRoach, on 26 May 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

my question is why was he working on it in the first place?

It has push/pull pots. The two volume controls are a coil tap. Neck tone is a phase. Bridge tone is full bypass. Occasionally, when I would pull up on the bridge pickup tone control for the full bypass, it would not re-engage the pickup. So, I took it to GC, since they are a Gibson Warranty Service Center. It needed a new PCB. To make a long story short, they eventually got the part in and I took it there to replace the PCB. It's definitely something I could have done myself but since it was under warranty and a brand new guitar, I had him do it. The guy I talked to at Gibson gave me the choice of three Guitar Centers to take it to and another place further away. I just took it to the store I got the guitar from and got it fixed. It's been working since.

#22 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostMichaelT, on 30 May 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

It has push/pull pots. The two volume controls are a coil tap. Neck tone is a phase. Bridge tone is full bypass. Occasionally, when I would pull up on the bridge pickup tone control for the full bypass, it would not re-engage the pickup. So, I took it to GC, since they are a Gibson Warranty Service Center. It needed a new PCB. To make a long story short, they eventually got the part in and I took it there to replace the PCB. It's definitely something I could have done myself but since it was under warranty and a brand new guitar, I had him do it. The guy I talked to at Gibson gave me the choice of three Guitar Centers to take it to and another place further away. I just took it to the store I got the guitar from and got it fixed. It's been working since.

That makes a good deal of sense. I cannot understand why gibson authorized GC to do repairs. Money corrupts every entity eventually. Guess I will eventually learn to live with that. Posted Image
You were smarter than i was. I took my first LP to a guy that just voided my warranty only to find a pickup was the problem. Still need a 498t for it too after many years now
Posted Image
2015 Les Paul Studio (MM)
2000 Les Paul Special w/hums

Year? Ibanez RG120
Yamaha FS-311 7/8ths scale Acoustic

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 12" CG 40w
Line 6 Spyder IV 15
Danelectro HT50 in Nifty Fifty cab
Focusrite Scarlett Solo PC USB interface
SM-57 Mic

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)