Gibson Brands Forums

basic finish care

This question is probably answered here in another post and i apologize for my laziness. but this is specific.

I went to gc and asked for gibson polish which i saw in the display case. They were closing up and in a rush and somehow I let them talk me into a product called "65 guitar polish" by dunlop. BEFORE i use this on my 2015 les paul studio manhatten midnight (spelling...its blue), nitro laquer finish in an effort to remove some of the film that is hard to remove, assumed to be from resting my arm on it while i play, I need to ask, IS THIS STUFF SAFE?

Hello Roach,

I did a search for it, and one of the things I found was someone who wrote he'd e-mailed Dunlop, and the reply said it had trace elements of silicone which was not good for nitro. It ALSO said, according to that guy, that it was "generally safe" for nitro! What gives?!

Other than that, some people say yes, some say no. So I wouldn't use it if I were you. YMMV.

I would return it and get the Gibson Brand which is safe for nitro finishes. Or get Virtuoso cleaner and polish (separate bottles) which many of us have used and like. Don't use something that may or may not be good on a nitro finish [scared]

Hello Roach,

I did a search for it, and one of the things I found was someone who wrote he'd e-mailed Dunlop, and the reply said it had trace elements of silicone which was not good for nitro. It ALSO said, according to that guy, that it was "generally safe" for nitro! What gives?!

Other than that, some people say yes, some say no. So I wouldn't use it if I were you. YMMV.

hey thanks for the search pinch... it was late and i was being lazy...

BOTH OF YOU GUYS HELPED ME ALLOT ..

very glad i asked here first... before i used it.

I am also offended by the sales person switching me from what i asked for, and they had it, is not the first time they gave me awful advice. like the cloth they sold me that scratched my finish first time i used it and saying that it is what i needed for my guitar...

I am also offended by the sales person switching me from what i asked for, and they had it, is not the first time they gave me awful advice. like the cloth they sold me that scratched my finish first time i used it and saying that it is what i needed for my guitar...

not to rub salt in the wound, but..

I just re-upped on my bottle of the Gibson Pump Polish about a month ago..

from Amazon........ free 2 day shipping...

and..

No schmucks from Guitar Center to deal with....

Just sayin......

not to rub salt in the wound, but..

I just re-upped on my bottle of the Gibson Pump Polish about a month ago..

from Amazon........ free 2 day shipping...

and..

No schmucks from Guitar Center to deal with....

Just sayin......

HAHA ye i just got that, gibsom pump polish...which is what i wanted in the first place. I had to go to gc anyway to order a clean/od/od2 3 way footswitch for the amp i just got woohoo post to follow...

HAHA ye i just got that, gibsom pump polish...which is what i wanted in the first place. I had to go to gc anyway to order a clean/od/od2 3 way footswitch for the amp i just got woohoo post to follow...

I had to go to a GC this weekend.. (my son wanted me to take a ride w/him.. -- he was trying to get me out of the house so my wife could setup for a surprise b-day party for me .. #60)...

I have to admit,, I could not get out of there fast enough.. Saturday afternoons at GC is the LAST place on earth I want to be. The only thing I thought was good timing was I could get a case for the Ukulele they gave me on the night of my b-day.. GC had about 6 tenor ukes on display.. but no cases for them... ? WHAT ?...

order a case on monday from sweetwater, it was here in 2 days..

now............tell us about the new amp

I had to go to a GC this weekend.. (my son wanted me to take a ride w/him.. -- he was trying to get me out of the house so my wife could setup for a surprise b-day party for me .. #60)...

I have to admit,, I could not get out of there fast enough.. Saturday afternoons at GC is the LAST place on earth I want to be. The only thing I thought was good timing was I could get a case for the Ukulele they gave me on the night of my b-day.. GC had about 6 tenor ukes on display.. but no cases for them... ? WHAT ?...

order a case on monday from sweetwater, it was here in 2 days..

now............tell us about the new amp

OH MY GAWD. You know the salesperson is bad when you ask, "what pickups are in this SG?" and his answer is "humbuckers".

Then he climbs up and pulls it off the wall up high, and i ask if it really is much lighter than an explorer and he convincingly nods yes, and instead of being good at selling stuff and handing it to me, he looks at the tag to find they are 57's and climbs up to hang it back on the wall... up high...out of my reach. It has gotten to be a true big box walmart.

jeff dunhams walter...hi welcome to guitar center, get your **** and get out...have a nice day

OH MY GAWD. You know the salesperson is bad when you ask, "what pickups are in this SG?" and his answer is "humbuckers".

Then he climbs up and pulls it off the wall up high, and i ask if it really is much lighter than an explorer and he convincingly nods yes, and instead of being good at selling stuff and handing it to me, he looks at the tag to find they are 57's and climbs up to hang it back on the wall... up high...out of my reach. It has gotten to be a true big box walmart.

jeff dunhams walter...hi welcome to guitar center, get your **** and get out...have a nice day

Topping this off, They're probably 2+ bill in debt,... how long can it be till the whole franchise implodes? When they first opened these chains it was a cool place to go, and be overwhelmed by the massiveness of it all. Now, it's just become satirical at best. I buy everything on-line and deal with the returns as needed. I aint got the time or patience for the clowns @ Guitar Center.

Oh good, another thump on Guitar Center thread. Their tech told me I should rip out the circuit board and quick connects and go with a 50's wiring. Maybe so but it's a brand new guitar and I actually LIKE the way it sounds. Would it sound better with 50's wiring? I don't know but I'm not going to pay their guy to find out. He seemed quite surprised when he opened it up and saw the quick connect. Almost like he'd never seen such a thing before. I was wondering if a Kraken was going to jump out and swallow us all by his expression. Another repair guy at another GC admitted that he's never seen it, never worked on it, etc. I'm in IT and usually if someone in IT says, "Uh, I've never seen that before" it doesn't lend great confidence in that person's ability or experience. It seems to me that if I worked on guitars all day long as a living, I'd try to keep up on things. I can't totally blame him because I'm sure GC doesn't send them to training and any videos or reading is to be done on their own time. And, the "sales guy" that sold me my guitar was ok. I didn't ask many questions and he could tell I knew what I was doing and how to play so he pretty much left me alone. And, he gave me a pretty good deal on the guitar. There was no way I was going to play full retail.

I'm with kidblast here. Sweetwater seems to be the way to go. I can DRIVE to Sweetwater in about 4 1/2 hours if I can't find anyone competent around here. Gibson Repair and Restoration in Nashville is even closer at about 2 1/2 hours. Louisville and Lexington Guitar Centers don't seem to have anyone competent. It's unlikely I'll buy anything from there again. The one in Hollywood was really nice back in 1989-1991 when I was there. The ones around here, not so much. I might go there to play, test them out and buy elsewhere.

my choice for in person buying is ONLY guitar center...there just is not anyone else here. No gibson dealers at all other than GC. But for price they really are the lowest price.

iN 96-98 I worked at GC. They would haggle with customers like a pawn shop which was more of a battle between sales staff for the sale, than it was to help the customer, but regardless if you had reason like my footswitch being the wrong one, i had to order from one store to have another store ship one to yet another location for me to pick up and it is the wrong thing. They would have gave me the right one in trade for the wrong one regardless of it costing twice as much as the one they sold me. But now a days i got a good feeling they will require me to pay the difference when i go back.

If you ask for an extra price break now they just look at you like you are asking the burger king cashier for a dollar off you whopper because they forgot the cheese.They really have turned into a walmart type business in that they do not have any clue about the gear or about sales. My only reason for complaining is that i have no other stores to go to. i asked about the boss multi effects pedal and all he could do was offer to get it out so i can play with it I didnt have time for that i wanted to know a simple thing. I realised he didnt know and dropped it... now i gotta take the marshall footswitch back across the San Mateo Bridge, (toll $5) and try to get them to order the right one that costs more or give my money back, then ill have to pay again to go pick it up when it comes (thats $15 dollars in bridge tolls)

• 2 weeks later...

I needed a footswitch for my Marshall as well and I ordered it online after doing research and getting the right one.

The sales guy that sold me my Les Paul did nothing to sell the guitar. He knew I knew what I was looking at and looking for. I asked the price, he told me, we went back and forth until we agreed on a price. And, that price was considerably less than retail. And, I told him I was paying cash up front. The service afterwards has sucked.

But, I digress. I think the pack I bought (online) was the Luthier's Choice, which has the polish, string cleaner/lubricant and fretboard conditioner.

https://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Gear-AILC-975-Luthiers-Choice/dp/B0002D0K5K/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1493741811&sr=1-1&keywords=luthier%27s+choice

• 2 weeks later...

I needed a footswitch for my Marshall as well and I ordered it online after doing research and getting the right one.

The sales guy that sold me my Les Paul did nothing to sell the guitar. He knew I knew what I was looking at and looking for. I asked the price, he told me, we went back and forth until we agreed on a price. And, that price was considerably less than retail. And, I told him I was paying cash up front. The service afterwards has sucked.

But, I digress. I think the pack I bought (online) was the Luthier's Choice, which has the polish, string cleaner/lubricant and fretboard conditioner.

https://www.amazon.c...hier%27s+choice

wow that is a great deal. I think i paid almost that much just for the polish/cleaner "gibson pump polish".

(i used that for the first time the other day and wow it worked so great, made my guitar look new again.)

and i spent $20 on D'Addario friction remover lube like an idiot too. Not so sure that was a good idea,

I was mad that i let them sell me that "65" dunlop stuff the first round, but i looked at the receipt and the fools didnt even charge me for it at all hahaha, oops,

I have to go back there today to pick up the small boss pedal board and power supply i ordered. I got a chorus CE-5 and a digital delay dd3, to put in it. Planning to add a flanger later those will run through my fx loop, my ocd in the front. Looking forward to jamming later....

I got a kick out of it the other day when the guy from Guitar Center finished working on my guitar and picked up this unmarked bottle and was going to spray my guitar and I said, "I'll pass on whatever that is. I'll clean it myself, thanks." He gave me a weird look but I wasn't going to let him spray random crap that may or may not eat up the finish on a $3000.00 guitar. It was probably something safe but why take the chance?

I got a kick out of it the other day when the guy from Guitar Center finished working on my guitar and picked up this unmarked bottle and was going to spray my guitar and I said, "I'll pass on whatever that is. I'll clean it myself, thanks." He gave me a weird look but I wasn't going to let him spray random crap that may or may not eat up the finish on a $3000.00 guitar. It was probably something safe but why take the chance?

my question is why was he working on it in the first place?

my question is why was he working on it in the first place?

It has push/pull pots. The two volume controls are a coil tap. Neck tone is a phase. Bridge tone is full bypass. Occasionally, when I would pull up on the bridge pickup tone control for the full bypass, it would not re-engage the pickup. So, I took it to GC, since they are a Gibson Warranty Service Center. It needed a new PCB. To make a long story short, they eventually got the part in and I took it there to replace the PCB. It's definitely something I could have done myself but since it was under warranty and a brand new guitar, I had him do it. The guy I talked to at Gibson gave me the choice of three Guitar Centers to take it to and another place further away. I just took it to the store I got the guitar from and got it fixed. It's been working since.

• 2 weeks later...

It has push/pull pots. The two volume controls are a coil tap. Neck tone is a phase. Bridge tone is full bypass. Occasionally, when I would pull up on the bridge pickup tone control for the full bypass, it would not re-engage the pickup. So, I took it to GC, since they are a Gibson Warranty Service Center. It needed a new PCB. To make a long story short, they eventually got the part in and I took it there to replace the PCB. It's definitely something I could have done myself but since it was under warranty and a brand new guitar, I had him do it. The guy I talked to at Gibson gave me the choice of three Guitar Centers to take it to and another place further away. I just took it to the store I got the guitar from and got it fixed. It's been working since.

That makes a good deal of sense. I cannot understand why gibson authorized GC to do repairs. Money corrupts every entity eventually. Guess I will eventually learn to live with that. angry.gif

You were smarter than i was. I took my first LP to a guy that just voided my warranty only to find a pickup was the problem. Still need a 498t for it too after many years now

Archived