Gibson Brands Forums

Static issue with brand new 2016 SG Standard

falcorickfalco

Hello All,

This is my first post, I just got my brand new 2016 Gibson SG Standard in Ebony, and I'm experiencing static on both the pick guard and the rear control cavity cover. I've never had this issue before on a Gibson, anyone have an idea what I can do to make the static go away other than "the dryer sheet trick"?

Thanks!

post-84963-053187900 1491918701_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

This is my first post, I just got my brand new 2016 Gibson SG Standard in Ebony, and I'm experiencing static on both the pick guard and the rear control cavity cover. I've never had this issue before on a Gibson, anyone have an idea what I can do to make the static go away other than "the dryer sheet trick"?

Thanks!

Greetings !

I have 2017 Les Paul Tribute T and it's pretty much doing the same thing. The quest is to find an answer at this point. The dryer sheet leaves a messy residue.

I've heard it will eventually go away, when ? That's a mystery.

I've read that there's a charge put to the finish in order to save finish materials. True or False ?

Here's a few things I have discovered :

Changed cords. Negative

Plugged straight into amp. Negative

Polishing has taken some of it away especially on the back of the body.

Still static on anything metal and cover plates. Even the strap buttons.

Otherwise it's a great one !

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings !

I have 2017 Les Paul Tribute T and it's pretty much doing the same thing. The quest is to find an answer at this point. The dryer sheet leaves a messy residue.

I've heard it will eventually go away, when ? That's a mystery.

I've read that there's a charge put to the finish in order to save finish materials. True or False ?

Here's a few things I have discovered :

Changed cords. Negative

Plugged straight into amp. Negative

Polishing has taken some of it away especially on the back of the body.

Still static on anything metal and cover plates. Even the strap buttons.

Otherwise it's a great one !

Yep, and I finally got a response from Gibson after 2 inquiries... They said "try rubbing a dryer sheet all over the guitar and case" What a crap answer, my buddy said "if they refuse to engineer their guitars to not be staticky, maybe they should include dryer sheets in the case.

Right.

Well I'm taking it to a warranty service center, and they'll fix it or else I'm sending it back to Gibson. I am extremely disappointed.

This is annoying as hell.. I get it, but as the nitro cures/hardens, this goes away. I have 4 solid body gibbies,, they have ALL done this.

heck even my J200 does it now and then.. the LR Baggs system is very sensitive only when it's a cold/dry day and my heat is blasting.

the dryer sheet (used in yer dryer once) will help. I don't think exchanging for another changes the physics of static electricity and nitro.

if you hang on for a few weeks, when the humidity is back in the climate, it will probably disappear completely. usually IME anyway, it's only something to deal with in the winter months

What Kidblast said...Low Humidity! If you're in a situation, with low humidity, it's a lot more prone to static.

(Furnace heated rooms, in winter, AC cooled rooms, in Summer...IF without built in humidifiers)

So, if you have a humidifier, use it! 40-50% seems to be the recommended amount. ALL my guitars,

regardless of brand or model, have static issues, in "dry" conditions. As do human beings, in the

same conditions..."shocking!" [biggrin]

CB

Archived