Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new SG Standard P90 2016 T--VERSUS--Used 2008 SG Classic

alfbell

Dear experienced SG experts:

It’s come down to this choice for me. I haven’t been able to inspect either of them. But I read a review on the Guitar Center website where a guy had the 2016 SG Standard and a 2006 SG Classic both to hand to compare, and he went for the 2006 Classic because the quality was soooo much better.)

So, from a general viewpoint… considering that the neck specs are the same (thickness and nut width)… which one of these (Brand new SG Standard P90 2016 T VERSUS Used 2008 SG Classic) would have the higher quality, craftmanship and construction? I know they are different models. Another way of asking this question would be… was Gibson’s quality better THEN or NOW on their SGs?

Thanks in advance,

Alfred

If your opinion is based on having compared them both physically that is good news that the quality is the same. Now I just need to determine what the neck thickness is at 1st fret and 12th fret and what the nut width is (I've asked Gibson Support but they are not getting back to me on this). If the neck dimensions are the same as the 2008, then I'd go for the 2008, since I'd prefer the dot markers and a hard case.

I own a 2016 Standard P90 and have played the classic quite a bit as well. The hard case is definitely a deal breaker for some on the 2016. The 2008 is a little bit heavier in my opinion. I don't own the 2008, a friend did.

Interesting. The 2016 Standard's MSRP is $1199. The 2008 Classic's MSRP was $1,537. More expensive even though it was 10 years ago. That might be an indicator that it could be a slightly better build and quality and heavier due to better grade of wood. Can't say for sure.

Which has the better beveling, and horn tapering?! As I don't mind dot or trapizoid fret markers,

and all other things (build quality, weight, etc.) being equal, I'd get the one with the more '60's

spec's, with regard to bevels and horn tapers. But, as most here know, that's just ME! [biggrin]

CB

Don't read anything into the pricing.

The powers that be at Gibson have this notion that a higher price tag will make the item seem more desirable and then sales will increase.

Maybe it works, who knows.

I had an 06 Classic and sold it as it just didn't feel right to me.

I'd give the 2016 a shot. If you don't care for it you can always sell it easily enough.

Don't read anything into the pricing.

The powers that be at Gibson have this notion that a higher price tag will make the item seem more desirable and then sales will increase.

Maybe it works, who knows.

I had an 06 Classic and sold it as it just didn't feel right to me.

I'd give the 2016 a shot. If you don't care for it you can always sell it easily enough.

Right. I decided price shouldn't matter. Gibson might have recently lowered its prices over the last year or more for certain sales/revenue reasons. I'm probably going to go with the new SG Standard with P90s. Has modern improvements, probably a more accurate intonation due to computerized design, fret placement, PLEK, etc. and an overall better and stronger neck and joint, and a lifetime guaranty. Plus I can always switch out pickups and add higher quality electronics components to make it an even better guitar. And lastly, if I go to a Guitar Center I'll be able to fully inspect and try a number of them out in order to pick the best one out. It's amazing that you can get a new decent guitar for $1,000 today.

...Has modern improvements, probably a more accurate intonation due to computerized design, fret placement, PLEK, etc...

Guitars either intonate or they don't, one isn't more or better intonated than another. Every Gibson I've owned in a long life of guitars has intonated just fine, that shouldn't be a decision point at all.

rct

Guitars either intonate or they don't, one isn't more or better intonated than another. Every Gibson I've owned in a long life of guitars has intonated just fine, that shouldn't be a decision point at all.

rct

Don't you think that if such points as: fret positions are a bit off; if nut to bridge length is a bit off; if the neck has a slight warp that twists it (not end to end but upper side of neck to bottom side; frets not crowned properly; neck joint being off; etc. that the intonation can be off? I do.

Don't you think that if such points as: fret positions are a bit off; if nut to bridge length is a bit off; if the neck has a slight warp that twists it (not end to end but upper side of neck to bottom side; frets not crowned properly; neck joint being off; etc. that the intonation can be off? I do.

But if the intonation is "off", you intonate it, right? If it can be intonated, then no, none of those things. If it can't be intonated it should go back, nobody should own it.

rct

But if the intonation is "off", you intonate it, right? If it can be intonated, then no, none of those things. If it can't be intonated it should go back, nobody should own it.

rct

Exactly. So that is what I check before I buy an electric guitar. If any of those points are out, I don't buy it. If I overlook something and make a mistake, hopefully it will be a point that I can actually fix.

Archived