Gibson Brands Forums

Studio experience

Tman

Wow. 10 hour days not including fighting LA Traffic each way. Drums took the longest then vocals. Multiple takes for everything. We recorded individually. I still have guitar work and there is keyboard and a little bass to record but finished the majority of 11 songs.

Studio is in Hollywood. I thought that part was cool.

Playing an Acacia J-45 custom honeyburst (now my fav):

acoustic%202_zpss6ckfqaj.jpeg

L-R: Keyboardist, Me, Nephew (singer) and the producer:

IMG_0661%201_zpsauv6uvkg.jpg

I'm still giddy from the experience. I learned a lot of new terms, especially relating to drums like flam (or maybe it was flem [biggrin]).Means 2 hits barely separated essentially representing one beat. Also watching someone that knows how to quickly use Protools (Slow Stools) is amazing. All you have to do is play one thing that is repeated in the song once really well then just use it again somewhere else. We hope to have things ready to listen to within the next 2 months. I can't wait that long but have to do so.

Hopefully there will be something to post here within the next 2 months. Still a lot of guitar work to do as well as back up vocals. Keyboardist and I are the backup singers and call ourselves the kraka pips. Then we'll have mixing and mastering. He and I are the main songwriters and I think you'll hear our influences when you hear the tracks. We both are mid 50 year olds.

He is really into 70's Nile Rodgers funky stuff and I'm into anything British from the 60's and 70's as well as southern rock and Michigan rock (Grand Funk, Bob Seeger, Glen Frey type stuff), so there you have it.

Before we recorded the songs he made me listen to Chic and learn from Nile. :rolleyes:

My wife thinks collectively, though that they are kinda pop songs with one hard rocker.

Well, if that "thrown together" L.A. Freeway vid you did is any indication, these tracks are going to be impressive!

Thanks Cougar. That was only the only song that I sang. My nephew has a killer voice and the other songs will definitely be different.

I wish I could say I enjoyed my studio experience as much as you did, Tman.

Mine was last summer, and we just cut some cover songs. But I found it tedious and uncomfortable. Maybe now that I have an idea what to expect, I'll be more prepared for what's coming if we ever decide to record again.

I wish I could say I enjoyed my studio experience as much as you did, Tman.

Mine was last summer, and we just cut some cover songs. But I found it tedious and uncomfortable. Maybe now that I have an idea what to expect, I'll be more prepared for what's coming if we ever decide to record again.

I think you nailed it. Now that you've done it, it will probably be a lot easier. Admittedly I downed a couple of glasses of wine before I started playing but I thought there were 2 advantages to that approach: Relaxation and also I was used to playing the parts that way from when the keyboardist and I were writing the songs (how's that for a lame excuse?) [crying]

Archived