#21 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

View Post62burst, on 21 April 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

Now, that would be dreaming.

; ).

Beautiful bird on the eBay, though. What finish is/was that ?

That's a beautifully faded cherry sunburst, thanks to the unstable red dye Gibson used in the mid-1960's. It could go almost yellow with a bit of UV exposure, much like the modern "ice tea" 'burst. I do not remember Gibson using a "conventional" 'burst on the 'bird in that period. They were either cherryburst or natural in the mid-1960's, as I recall, and mostly cherryburst.

I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but after they fade, they are gorgeous.

#22 User is online   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostOldCowboy, on 21 April 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

Hey! You keep trying to drag me out of my comfort zone in the 19th century��

Still waiting for those pics. And a few revived chords from back in the day wouldn't harm a soul - certainly not yours.
Life's too short to disappear in comfort.

View Postj45nick, on 21 April 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

That's a beautifully faded cherry sunburst, thanks to the unstable red dye Gibson used in the mid-1960's. It could go almost yellow with a bit of UV exposure, much like the modern "ice tea" 'burst. I do not remember Gibson using a "conventional" 'burst on the 'bird in that period. They were either cherryburst or natural in the mid-1960's, as I recall, and mostly cherryburst.

I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but after they fade, they are gorgeous.

Exactly what believe was the case here.
It's well known that Kalamazoo had a few buckets of vague-pigment-cherry that turned into that precious amber hue we now see resembled on the TV/NV/Vintage models.
Whauw, they are beautiful, , , by far my favorite Bird-burst, , , and of course helped by the aging nitro and the yellow extremely delicious first-wave pick guard.

Then again if Cowboy says there were 2 versions early on, we have a riddle.
Intense studies however, tells me that most original oldies have developed the amber glow. Okay some of them seem to have stopped around tequila-sunrise-orange.

Now take a look at this one. More like the SJ of the day, meaning real sunburst, but with the wildlife buzzing.

https://reverb.com/i...cherry-sunburst
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostE-minor7, on 21 April 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Still waiting for those pics. And a few revived chords from back in the day wouldn't harm a soul - certainly not yours.
Life's too short to disappear in comfort.

Something good for all of us to keep in mind.

Now take a look at this one. More like the SJ of the day, meaning real sunburst, but with the wildlife buzzing.

Would love to look, but the link appears to be broken.

#24 User is online   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

View Post62burst, on 21 April 2017 - 06:35 PM, said:

Would love to look, but the link appears to be broken.

Try again - replaced

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:51 PM

[

That's a rare 'bird indeed, one of the very early ones. The serial number is consistent with 1961, which would be year two for the 'bird. It looks like a true sunburst, not a cherryburst. You can tell because the back has the standard dark walnut stain, rather than the red stain used on most (but not all) of the cherryburst guitars. I know the original 'bird brochure says "cherryburst" finish, but maybe that was nomenclature they were using to try to differentiate the new high-end model from the lowly sunburst J-45.

In any case, she's a beauty.

It's a shame the pickguard was modded to put in a D'Armond at some point, but that happened to an awful lot of guitars.

#26 User is offline   62burst 

• Advanced Member

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:19 PM

Very cool, that standard sunburst on the old "Humming Bird". Spacious-looking neck with what looks to be a comfy radius. Tall/thin back braces, too (?)

#27 User is online   E-minor7 

• Winger

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM

View Post62burst, on 21 April 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

Tall/thin back braces, too (?)

Everything is like it's supposed to be for 1961 except for the burst which anticipates the Southern Jumbos waiting to be born the comin' year.

Yes, pretty bad luck with the guard hole - wouldn't be that easy to fix, but could be done.

How about the saddle. Looks metallic, but must be the rosewooden version (screws of course are non-original).

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

E-minor7, on 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

Everything is like it's supposed to be for 1961 except for the burst which anticipates the Southern Jumbos waiting to be born the comin' year.

Yes, pretty bad luck with the guard hole - wouldn't be that easy to fix, but could be done.

How about the saddle. Looks metallic, but must be the rosewooden version (screws of course are non-original).

I've seen guys machine replacement saddles from brass - and the results were, tone/sound-wise, indeed 'brassy'. Never much cared for it, seemed kind of an overload, but have never seen an adj saddle made from white metal before.

As far as sunburst variations are concerned, what I've seen doesn't necessarily imply any kind of norm, at least not to me.
Mostly, I've encountered the typical cherry - some of which had managed to develop that really excellent (to me) faded look - and a few that were actually dark, almost burgundy, bursts. My thought has been that Gibson at that time, being Gibson, occasionally ran a few lots that conformed more to what they had immediately available than to published specs. I bounced that idea off one of the old guys that did finishes back then, and all he'd give me was a wry chuckle. I believe that confirmed my idea.

#29 User is offline   gotomsdos 

• Advanced Member

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

View Postcapmaster, on 12 April 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Into the bargain, Uranus is a gas giant, so it has to be very rare. ;)

How have you been lately [confused] , my old buddy ! Long time no see...
1939 Martin 0-18
2008 Martin D-21 Special (175 anniversary)
2009 Martin HD-28(KK mini)
2011 Martin OM-21 Special
1944 Gibson J-45
2011 Gibson Ren's J-35
2013 Gibson 1942 J-45 Reissue(KK mini)

#30 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

View PostE-minor7, on 21 April 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

The saddle might be ebony. I suspect the guitar may be in neck re-set territory. Look at how the top of the saddle has been carved down under the low E string. You only do that when the saddle is cranked all the way down, with no place to go. This can also screw up intonation, as you no longer have a well-defined bearing point for the string on the saddle.

A really nice-looking guitar, however.

#31 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

j45nick, on 22 April 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

The saddle might be ebony. I suspect the guitar may be in neck re-set territory. Look at how the top of the saddle has been carved down under the low E string. You only do that when the saddle is cranked all the way down, with no place to go. This can also screw up intonation, as you no longer have a well-defined bearing point for the string on the saddle.

A really nice-looking guitar, however.

A closer look tells me that might well be the case. There are a few ebony saddles out there. Thought I might even have one, but a search just now (trying to get my pieces and parts organized - 😂 - )says no.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users