Gibson Brands Forums

Am I dreaming

E-minor7

High-end paperweights can be a trip...

Yes, they can, small bubbles of otherworldly wonder, , but apart from that I didn't purchase the emerald bird.

As a counter point to this somewhat daft thread, it's time to post this link to the 1965 real deal.

http://www.ebay.com/...uoAAOSwSlBYvtye

Not that I wasn't and isn't behind the original item. Just to give things a little more weight.

Thanx for baring with me. .

Narrow nut, long scale......not much of a Hummingbird, is it.

I forgot the long-scale, but actually wrote the seller a week ago to make him conform it's not a misunderstanding.

And sure, it's a Dove-neck.

The guitar remains a Hummingbird though - and seems to be quite a bargain.

Narrow nut, long scale......not much of a Hummingbird, is it. Still a good looking example and the price seems reasonable.

Where can I get one of those translucent red guards with gold paint?

1965? Just bein' a smartass, sorry.... The narrow nut isn't my favorite, though the long scale would do me fine. It's definitely in good cosmetic condition. My 65-er has the wide nut and long scale and more honest play wear. If I can get to it b/4 this thread evaporates, I'll try to post a picture for ya.

Now, that would be dreaming.

; ).

Beautiful bird on the eBay, though. What finish is/was that ?

I shall resist being dragged 2 centuries into the uncertain future with every fiber of my aged being😖

Meanwhile, in 1965 the finish adorning that lovely H'bird would have been called sunburst. The 'cherry sunburst' was an identified variant, but in acoustics that's about all. Ah, twas a simpler time!

I shall resist being dragged 2 centuries into the uncertain future with every fiber of my aged being😖

How many centuries until the lexicon no longer works? That would be something.

Meanwhile, in 1965 the finish adorning that lovely H'bird would have been called sunburst. The 'cherry sunburst' was an identified variant, but in acoustics that's about all. Ah, twas a simpler time!

Yes, fan of the bursts, no doubt. This one seemed to be such a faded burst as to be the Iced Tea barely still present?

How many centuries until the lexicon no longer works? That would be something.

Yes, fan of the bursts, no doubt. This one seemed to be such a faded burst as to be the Iced Tea barely still present?

Quite a variety to identify and from which to choose currently. I often wonder if the inspiration derived from observing the effects of time on earlier, usually unnamed, Gibson 'bursts from the past. Seems pretty logical.

Now, that would be dreaming.

; ).

Beautiful bird on the eBay, though. What finish is/was that ?

That's a beautifully faded cherry sunburst, thanks to the unstable red dye Gibson used in the mid-1960's. It could go almost yellow with a bit of UV exposure, much like the modern "ice tea" 'burst. I do not remember Gibson using a "conventional" 'burst on the 'bird in that period. They were either cherryburst or natural in the mid-1960's, as I recall, and mostly cherryburst.

I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but after they fade, they are gorgeous.

Hey! You keep trying to drag me out of my comfort zone in the 19th century��

Still waiting for those pics. And a few revived chords from back in the day wouldn't harm a soul - certainly not yours.

Life's too short to disappear in comfort.

That's a beautifully faded cherry sunburst, thanks to the unstable red dye Gibson used in the mid-1960's. It could go almost yellow with a bit of UV exposure, much like the modern "ice tea" 'burst. I do not remember Gibson using a "conventional" 'burst on the 'bird in that period. They were either cherryburst or natural in the mid-1960's, as I recall, and mostly cherryburst.

I thought it was pretty tacky at the time, but after they fade, they are gorgeous.

Exactly what believe was the case here.

It's well known that Kalamazoo had a few buckets of vague-pigment-cherry that turned into that precious amber hue we now see resembled on the TV/NV/Vintage models.

Whauw, they are beautiful, , , by far my favorite Bird-burst, , , and of course helped by the aging nitro and the yellow extremely delicious first-wave pick guard.

Then again if Cowboy says there were 2 versions early on, we have a riddle.

Intense studies however, tells me that most original oldies have developed the amber glow. Okay some of them seem to have stopped around tequila-sunrise-orange.

Now take a look at this one. More like the SJ of the day, meaning real sunburst, but with the wildlife buzzing.

https://reverb.com/item/4499822-gibson-hummingbird-1961-dark-cherry-sunburst

Still waiting for those pics. And a few revived chords from back in the day wouldn't harm a soul - certainly not yours.

Life's too short to disappear in comfort.

Something good for all of us to keep in mind.

Now take a look at this one. More like the SJ of the day, meaning real sunburst, but with the wildlife buzzing.

https://reverb.com/i...cherry-sunburst

Would love to look, but the link appears to be broken.

[

https://reverb.com/item/4499822-gibson-hummingbird-1961-dark-cherry-sunburst

That's a rare 'bird indeed, one of the very early ones. The serial number is consistent with 1961, which would be year two for the 'bird. It looks like a true sunburst, not a cherryburst. You can tell because the back has the standard dark walnut stain, rather than the red stain used on most (but not all) of the cherryburst guitars. I know the original 'bird brochure says "cherryburst" finish, but maybe that was nomenclature they were using to try to differentiate the new high-end model from the lowly sunburst J-45.

In any case, she's a beauty.

It's a shame the pickguard was modded to put in a D'Armond at some point, but that happened to an awful lot of guitars.

Archived