Gibson Brands Forums

Am I dreaming

E-minor7

Tall/thin back braces, too (?)

Everything is like it's supposed to be for 1961 except for the burst which anticipates the Southern Jumbos waiting to be born the comin' year.

Yes, pretty bad luck with the guard hole - wouldn't be that easy to fix, but could be done.

How about the saddle. Looks metallic, but must be the rosewooden version (screws of course are non-original).

Everything is like it's supposed to be for 1961 except for the burst which anticipates the Southern Jumbos waiting to be born the comin' year.

Yes, pretty bad luck with the guard hole - wouldn't be that easy to fix, but could be done.

How about the saddle. Looks metallic, but must be the rosewooden version (screws of course are non-original).

I've seen guys machine replacement saddles from brass - and the results were, tone/sound-wise, indeed 'brassy'. Never much cared for it, seemed kind of an overload, but have never seen an adj saddle made from white metal before.

As far as sunburst variations are concerned, what I've seen doesn't necessarily imply any kind of norm, at least not to me.

Mostly, I've encountered the typical cherry - some of which had managed to develop that really excellent (to me) faded look - and a few that were actually dark, almost burgundy, bursts. My thought has been that Gibson at that time, being Gibson, occasionally ran a few lots that conformed more to what they had immediately available than to published specs. I bounced that idea off one of the old guys that did finishes back then, and all he'd give me was a wry chuckle. I believe that confirmed my idea.

The saddle might be ebony. I suspect the guitar may be in neck re-set territory. Look at how the top of the saddle has been carved down under the low E string. You only do that when the saddle is cranked all the way down, with no place to go. This can also screw up intonation, as you no longer have a well-defined bearing point for the string on the saddle.

A really nice-looking guitar, however.

The saddle might be ebony. I suspect the guitar may be in neck re-set territory. Look at how the top of the saddle has been carved down under the low E string. You only do that when the saddle is cranked all the way down, with no place to go. This can also screw up intonation, as you no longer have a well-defined bearing point for the string on the saddle.

A really nice-looking guitar, however.

A closer look tells me that might well be the case. There are a few ebony saddles out there. Thought I might even have one, but a search just now (trying to get my pieces and parts organized - 😂 - )says no.

Archived