Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Firebird

MissouriPicker

Yeah, Buc, the inlay was really, really sweet. I typically favor a burst, but this guitar was one-hell-of-a blond beauty. I was reading a little while ago that the wood (supposedly) comes from trees that survived a major forest fire. I hope Em7 chimes-in on this.......... You might be right, Juan, about this guitar. I don't necessarily believe in there being a "holy grail" of guitars, but if there is one, this might be it for a lot of Gibson owners and others.. Real special in all ways.

Kelly, look-up Gibson Firebird Acoustic. Info should show up. Not many of them around.

I think those guitars will probably be the holy grail of the future as far as Gibson Acoustics ...I hope to get one when I have a chance !

A maple lover's dream

JC

For certain!

The Firebird Custom is a fantastic guitar.

Like the Dove it is a square-shouldered long-scale maple dreadnought and it would be reasonable to believe they sound alike. Not the case.

The Dove is a Dove and anybody who played a Dove knows they are very dovish/maplish – a strong and genuine classic Gibson identity there for sure.

The F-bird still offers maple-flavor, and though it too drips with thick sticky maple-syrup, it's more neutral and universal, , , even say central.

This is what makes the F really grand.

Mine has opened tremendously since it came by in 2012 (it's from December'10) and is now so willing, ready and able.

Generously projecting, balanced yet bass-rich – loud yet able to whisper. A mighty flier indeed, actually to big to be the one you just grab for casual noodling.

If you reach for an F-bird, it's a serious hello. You have to warm it up and put vision behind the encounter.

It's like owning a Roll Royce – you don't start it up for a 5 minute drive to kiosk.

There has to be an urge to go somewhere with a Firebird. And you must be prepared to take the flight.

Then when being on the wings, it might appear to be one of the finest wide ranged acoustics you ever played.

Call and it'll come. Ask and it'll answer. Demand and it'll serve, , , caress and it'll both cry and fly. .

Like the creamy head-stock-binding a lot, but must confess the overall image is a bit too blingy and pale for my limitations and I look forward to see mine burn darker.

Already has a slight tan, which makes our relationship relax and we get together approx 4 times a week.

Sometimes it overwhelms me – other times we simply take off. .

An incredible instrument – name it the secret treasure from Bozeman – this quilted bird flamingly rising to find unknown skies, , , presumably landing as the royal highness of any collection.

O Gibson Firebird ~ you burgundy Phoenix that can't come down ~ let me court you for an E-minor7

The Firebird Custom is a fantastic guitar. ... Mine has opened tremendously since it came by in 2012 (it's from December'10) and is now so willing, ready and able. ...

Quite the review . . . very well done.

And patience has paid a great dividend. . . B)

Yeah, Buc, the inlay was really, really sweet. I typically favor a burst, but this guitar was one-hell-of-a blond beauty. I was reading a little while ago that the wood (supposedly) comes from trees that survived a major forest fire. I hope Em7 chimes-in on this.......... You might be right, Juan, about this guitar. I don't necessarily believe in there being a "holy grail" of guitars, but if there is one, this might be it for a lot of Gibson owners and others.. Real special in all ways.

Kelly, look-up Gibson Firebird Acoustic. Info should show up. Not many of them around.

The wood didn't come from a forest fire. People are just trying to figure out where the whole project came from. The simple truth is that Gibson had a big bunch of inlays left over from the failed Ron Wood project. Ron designed the inlays for his guitar but they just didn't sell in the numbers needed to keep them in production. A total of 37 Ron Wood's were shipped. What to do with the left over inlays? Make the Firebird. ha....It was not as successful as the Ron Wood. Gibson shipped 17 Firebirds. Somewhere there is a big bag of leftover inlays. Gibson marketing at it's finest.

Montana had some huge forest fires that year and people just put the two together. There were rumors that the factory was in danger, People just like to make up there own reality. It is a good story but Montana doesn't have the climate to grow Maple. The only thing burning was Lodge pole pine and the fires were many miles from Bozeman. The closest was 30 miles from the plant.

Personally I like the fire wood rumor but it is just another of the many fabricated stories.

Just as a side note. From the 1998 price list. J-200 $3,999.00

Montana Gold $4,399.00

Ron Wood signature J-200 $7,999.00

They are all just J-200's with small changes in appearance. Same for the Firebird. Take a J-200 and put $15.00 worth of inlay on it and get Ron Wood to sign the label and you have to wonder if that is all worth the $4,000.00 difference in price. People voted with their pocketbooks.

Kind of cool those green flames were taken from Woods fire. And a good idea to add the rising bird on the head-stock.

Think I read here at some point that 13 were made in 2001

13 in 2005

44 in 06

27 in 07

24 in 08

and 7 in 9

Here's mine before the tan ~ TheFirebirdfirst-Sep2012.jpg

The Bird itself ~ TheF-birdfirst-Sep-20125.jpg

After customization ~ Dec201411theboard.jpg

, , , and how it sounded just after settling here in 2012 -

Rather restless playing, but as you hear a whole lot of sound. Gotta be careful, , , both while recording and in real life. .

Rather restless playing, but as you hear a whole lot of sound. Gotta be careful, , , both while recording and in real life. .

There's a real feeling of restrained power in that critter.

Interesting juxtaposition of tunes: Cat Stevens and Stevie Winwood.

Would love to hear the voice of the beast today.

There's a real feeling of restrained power in that critter.

Interesting juxtaposition of tunes: Cat Stevens and Stevie Winwood.

Would love to hear the voice of the beast today.

Not sure the difference would be that clear in a recording - but one can feel it has loosened up.

Right now it has plain Martin SP 12-54 bronze on from the 15th of December 2015 (same change for the Dove).

Prefer bronze on the maples to add a little edge, they can get pretty rounded mellow after a while. And I don't dig new steel on these at all - too overpowering.

Chose Cat because he played this tune on maple back then. .

Someone buy this one before I start thinking about it.

Funny, Dave. Funny because it's got an element of truth to it, and who here hasn't felt the same about a guitar for sale that they've stumbled across. (Although Hogeye's excellent info re: the Ron Wood guitar hints more at a "what do we do with all this extra inlay, etc" type guitar, and lowers gas levels accordingly.)

Stranger still on Tall Toad's listings is that rather unfortunate looking Silverburst. "Dear Gibson. . .", knowing how you are the benchmark for sunbursts, it must be said that your report card would show the "capable of better work" comment on this one: http://www.talltoadmusic.com/_p/prd15/4588816721/product/used-hummingbird-%22silverburst%22

Funny, Dave. Funny because it's got an element of truth to it, and who here hasn't felt the same about a guitar for sale that they've stumbled across. (Although Hogeye's excellent info re: the Ron Wood guitar hints more at a "what do we do with all this extra inlay, etc" type guitar, and lowers gas levels accordingly.)

I prefer EM7's take on the Guitar

Stranger still on Tall Toad's listings is that rather unfortunate looking Silverburst. "Dear Gibson. . .", knowing how you are the benchmark for sunbursts, it must be said that your report card would show the "capable of better work" comment on this one: http://www.talltoadm...2silverburst%22

I have a problem with colorized acoustic guitars (although I am eyeing a local Louvin D28 on CL). I'm okay with colors like that on electrics. I'm getting pickier the older I get. Although I have examples of each I believe all acoustic Gibson's should be Vintage Sunburst and all Martins should be Natural Aged Toner tops.

I sort of like the bling on the Firebird but my Jumbo allotment is currently full. I think the only two things left on my guitar bucket list are a Super400 and a Brydland.

I prefer EM7's take on the Guitar

I have a problem with colorized acoustic guitars (although I am eyeing a local Louvin D28 on CL). I'm okay with colors like that on electrics. I'm getting pickier the older I get. Although I have examples of each I believe all acoustic Gibson's should be Vintage Sunburst and all Martins should be Natural Aged Toner tops.

I sort of like the bling on the Firebird but my Jumbo allotment is currently full. I think the only two things left on my guitar bucket list are a Super400 and a Brydland.

My BL:

EC Hummingbird Dark

Firebird Custom

Arlo Guthrie 3/4 model

60's Everly Brothers (Conversion )

60's style ES 335 (RI or Vintage)

Mccartney Texan

If ai could add one more: Elvis Presley Dove

JC

Archived